More crooked carpentry - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2022, 07:14 AM   #21

Trailer: 2016 Casita
We live in a world where the eye expects to see square and plumb in the things people build. When something is off, it catches the eye. At least for me. What amazes me most though, is that so many apologize or make excuses for Escape. Sure times are tough, but it's still a screw up and shouldn't happen. As someone said, "at least it's not a Forrest River". At the rate Escape is going, soon there won't be much difference between the two.
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:43 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryc View Post
We live in a world where the eye expects to see square and plumb in the things people build. When something is off, it catches the eye. At least for me. What amazes me most though, is that so many apologize or make excuses for Escape. Sure times are tough, but it's still a screw up and shouldn't happen. As someone said, "at least it's not a Forrest River". At the rate Escape is going, soon there won't be much difference between the two.
I will be the first to disagree with you on these minor imperfections that may tarnish Escape's reputation. The "hand made in British Columbia" is an attribute others can not match and I can smile when I see the beautiful end product!
Old 06-25-2022, 08:08 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
X2
Iowa Dave
Old 06-25-2022, 09:34 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My cabinets doors and drawer fronts are all nice and square. Well, at least they were when I first built and installed them. By the way, I did adjust the drawer under the stove after seeing this photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Any idiot with knowledge of these two most basic carpentry tools can become a "craftsmen" for under $20.
I would never use either one of those tools in finishing work, especially in a trailer. They are definitely not tools used by craftsmen. Framing carpenters, for sure, I have used them for that. Well, except for those old framing squares which are kinda outdated now. That, and that level is kinda short, I mostly use 4' and 6' ones. And yeah, at least here in Canada, you would be looking at near $100 CAD for decent implements like shown. I do admit that due to being a professional contractor I only buy good quality tools.

Yes, Escape could do better and this particular incident should have been noticed, and customers could be a bit more lenient too.

Please note, this is just an opinion from a crazy Canuck.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 10:37 AM   #25

Trailer: 2022 E19
Wow! That looks like some quality work right there!
Very nice.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 03:08 PM   #26

Trailer: 2012 E19
If I used a square and a level, I'm sure I could still muck it up.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:03 PM   #27

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Sometimes in things like these trailers, a level and square may not work. Line of sight is more important. Having a crooked cupboard door above what appears to be a level lower door, line of sight should prevail in my opinion. Having two obvious things not align would drive me crazy. You have every right to be disappointed
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:06 PM   #28

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
Sometimes in things like these trailers, a level and square may not work. Line of sight is more important. Having a crooked cupboard door above what appears to be a level lower door, line of sight should prevail in my opinion. Having two obvious things not align would drive me crazy. You have every right to be disappointed
You can bet they wouldn’t put that one on display…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:06 PM   #29

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
We can give recent input to the quality we see in the 21C we picked up 12 days ago in Sumas. We finish our long trek home tomorrow, and so far we are very pleased with our trailer (let’s hope we didn’t jinx ourselves now, haha).

Although this is our first RV, we did walk through and “shop” many brands (including Airstream, Lance, Grand Design, NuCamp, Intech, and others). The quality of our trailer meets some of those brands and FAR exceeds most.

Is our 21C one of the outliers (the lucky few?), or are the Escape trailers delivered with noticeable goofs outliers? We obviously can’t answer that. We can only say that (so far) we feel Escape did a fine job building for us.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:22 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I cannot see any flaws in our 2013 21. Probably there but I’ve never noticed. Ours is the #6 21 built.

Reace told me personally that he closely supervised the construction on that first run of trailers. Three prototype trailers were originally built. Then the series of 13 trailers followed. This was in the Fall of 2013.

We’ve been extremely pleased and feel fortunate to own this trailer both for Escape’s attention to detail and the care, maintenance and modifications done by the original owners. We are happy campers.

I’ve owned and was raised in a 100+ year old house. There were a numerous construction flaws and resulting challenges. We patched them with love and gave thanks that we had a clean, warm, dry place to sleep on those iIowa winter nights. Never thought we’d have all the nice things we have now when I was growing up. Wouldn’t change much from my younger years even if I could.
Always liked the food at the Thistle Dew Cafe run by my Mom.

Photos are
1. Our camp at Shelbyville Lake COE earlier this month

2. Butterfly milkweed, Pale purple coneflower and Rattlesnake master all in bloom among the Little Bluestem in our prairie.

Have a great weekend and enjoy camping if you go.
Iowa Dave
Geez Dave- does it always have to be about you?
Old 06-25-2022, 07:56 PM   #31

I don’t know anybody else.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-25-2022, 07:57 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Geez Dave- does it always have to be about you?

Some of the best stories are about Dave. Keep it up.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:17 PM   #33

Hi Paul
Looking forward to the Mississippi rally. The three inch rain we got last night reminded me of the time we had to move the rally across the river to Scott County Park. Otherwise,
it’s a comfortable weekend, weather wise, and three campgrounds that my wife and daughter visited today on their little SE iowa road trip were “crowded but not full”. I think folks are camping closer to home due to gasoline costs. Seems like the campgrounds closer to population centers have the higher occupancy. Which makes sense. Hope all is good with you and your family.
Let me know if you need anything.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-25-2022, 08:28 PM   #34

Trailer: 21
Quote:
Hi Paul
Looking forward to the Mississippi rally. The three inch rain we got last night reminded me of the time we had to move the rally across the river to Scott County Park. Otherwise,
it’s a comfortable weekend, weather wise, and three campgrounds that my wife and daughter visited today on their little SE iowa road trip were “crowded but not full”. I think folks are camping closer to home due to gasoline costs. Seems like the campgrounds closer to population centers have the higher occupancy. Which makes sense. Hope all is good with you and your family.
Let me know if you need anything.
Iowa Dave
Rain mmmmm what does it look like. I think it’s a myth a wishful story to be told around a campfire
Old 06-25-2022, 08:33 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shearwater View Post
It's hard to see in the pic unless you zoom in, but the right side is 1/4" higher than the right. I'm one of those folks who walks into a room and starts straightening all the crooked artwork on the walls.
Hi: Shearwater... I wish you could "Take a walk" into DC. and straighten up all the crooked work there too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:02 PM   #36

Fall rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
Rain mmmmm what does it look like. I think it’s a myth a wishful story to be told around a campfire
Here’s a picture of Fudge Brownie’s rig in the fall of 2019. Thomson causeway COE near Thomson, Illinois. You know it’s wet when the Corps of Engineers comes to your site with a pump and a ditching spade. .
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
525EE092-2EEF-43A4-86FC-B56E3BCD4FAE.jpg  
Old 06-25-2022, 09:23 PM   #37

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
I respectfully completely disagree, not sure of your abilities but I, as I’m sure many others have had multiple experiences with hiring people with various degrees of talent. One must know what side of the material should be face up and cut with what type of blade, on and on…
It can take someone quite some time to acquire journeyman skills.

There are now even websites such as Angie’s list devoted to helping people find capable help. Those who are qualified and will show up, get the job completed and not leave your dog pregnant and your home setup for a robbery are getting more and more for their work, as there are less and less of them.

I have found like never before young people who are raised in homes that allow them to do little that doesn’t involve some type of screen have now become adults.
These new creatures are not able to deal with simple task such as lawn care, yet another reason for my rents to go even higher.

I’m sure in Canada as is here, good help is hard to find and hard to keep.

So right! Why in building my own house I design too, to Age In Place in. It is ALL in my name down to plumbing & electrical. Got tired of paying thousands & then having to rip things out & do it right myself anyways. Don't know to plumb a wall, leave a bottom plate until totally nailed off, use a string, snap a line, etc. Retired now, so finishing the place has been my job now for 8 years. I'm in the 1st floor & renting Apt. Airbnb. Have a 2nd floor(for resale) in house to finish.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:09 AM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Here’s a picture of Fudge Brownie’s rig in the fall of 2019. Thomson causeway COE near Thomson, Illinois. You know it’s wet when the Corps of Engineers comes to your site with a pump and a ditching spade. .
Iowa Dave
I think I was there that year, it seemed the river flooded the cg or the rain was not draining fast enough......
Old 06-26-2022, 08:04 AM   #39

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Same here, Texas. We’re so dry, I hope California doesn’t think of selling lake bed plots for subdivisions.
Emjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:30 AM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjay View Post
Same here, Texas. We’re so dry, I hope California doesn’t think of selling lake bed plots for subdivisions.
Hi: Emjay... They're to busy finding sunken treasure to sub divide!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote