Need Help Installing a Cover - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2019, 03:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Need Help Installing a Cover

Need some advice on the best way to install the ETI cover on a trailer. We have a 5.0 and, since you can’t get on top of it, putting the cover on it is a “bear“.

Thanks all, I’m getting too old for this

Jim
Jtenpenny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:25 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have heard of using broom handles on each side to position the cover on top....
Old 11-25-2019, 04:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
A suggestion: use a useful title. "Need Help" doesn't say anything; "Need help with installing cover" might attract the attention of people who have used the cover and can help.

Also, this is in the "Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box" section, which is for help with using the forum, not with their trailers. This topic belongs in "Problem Solving | Owners helping each other".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Topic was discussed very recently. Do a search.
I don't use a cover, other than wax.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
We use a couple of hockey sticks to get it over the A/C. It's a bit of a challenge, even on a 19'.
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:07 PM   #6

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtenpenny1 View Post
Need some advice on the best way to install the ETI cover on a trailer. We have a 5.0 and, since you can’t get on top of it, putting the cover on it is a “bear“.

Thanks all, I’m getting too old for this

Jim
ETI said at orientation that a piece of foam about 3 square foot by 2 inch thickness was good to distribute the weight on the roof.

This is was i do on our 19 with the help of a ladder. Also open the zipper....

Protect the sharp corner if solar and the vehicle plate for eventual tear...
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Just did this. Leaned a ladder on the side, had foam on the end to keep from scratching the gel coat. Pulled most of the cover on to the roof, just behind the forward vent. (We don't have the TV antenna ). Wife held up a small section of the back of the cover so it wouldn't slide back off. Pushed the cover forward with a paint stick, gravity took over and it draped over on its own.

While repositioning the ladder, I also clipped a front strap to keep it in place. Did the same routine on the back part except used paint stick until most of the remaining cover had been moved to the back over the AC.

Only issue was un-twisting the back portion of the cover as it came out of the trash container the same way we put it in prior.

This cover is very "roomy"
Attached Thumbnails
20191125_151953a.jpg  
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:51 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Look here http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...ver-12934.html
Old 11-25-2019, 08:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Installing the Calmark Cover

We use the method we learned from the folks at Calmark Covers (They're 10 miles away from us).
To remove:
We fold/roll the cover from front to middle and from rear to middle, so the twin rolls are draped in trailer center between the Maxxfan and the A/C unit, and hang down each side. Then, from one side or the other, on the ground, we pull the cover into a large plastic bag (heavy duty trash bag).

To install:
We reverse the process: throw a rope over the trailer center, tie around one end of the the twin rolls, pull the rolls over the trailer, and unroll to each end.
Don't forget the pool noodle pieces over abrupt and sharp edges.

We sometimes use a couple of 3/4" dia. PVC poles (with Tee fittings on the top end to protect the cover), to assist. (similar to the broomstick assist).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191123_085338354_HDR.jpg   IMG_20191123_085800791.jpg   IMG_20191123_091644319_HDR.jpg   IMG_20191123_084342946_HDR.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
We use the method we learned from the folks at Calmark Covers (They're 10 miles away from us).
To remove:
We fold/roll the cover from front to middle and from rear to middle, so the twin rolls are draped in trailer center between the Maxxfan and the A/C unit, and hang down each side. Then, from one side or the other, on the ground, we pull the cover into a large plastic bag (heavy duty trash bag).

To install:
We reverse the process: throw a rope over the trailer center, tie around one end of the the twin rolls, pull the rolls over the trailer, and unroll to each end.
Don't forget the pool noodle pieces over abrupt and sharp edges.

We sometimes use a couple of 3/4" dia. PVC poles (with Tee fittings on the top end to protect the cover), to assist. (similar to the broomstick assist).
Hi Don , question for you ? With the Cal Mark cover , will the solar still charge your batteries ? We haven’t put cover on since solar install . I could shut down solar if needed I added Switches in install . I have a really nice battery charger too . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:55 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Don , question for you ? With the Cal Mark cover , will the solar still charge your batteries ? We haven’t put cover on since solar install . I could shut down solar if needed I added Switches in install . I have a really nice battery charger too . Pat
I can answer that Pat. My experience with our Calmark cover on the 15B is that the solar will not get enough light to charge the batteries with the cover on. Our other cover for the 19' lets enough light through to keep the batteries charged.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:04 PM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Same as Dave, I had 1-2 amps with the cheap Adco cover I had but pretty much nothing with the Calmark. Of course I'm a good deal north of you.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:09 PM   #13

Quote:
What I figured Don . Thanks , Pat
Old 11-26-2019, 03:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I can answer that Pat. My experience with our Calmark cover on the 15B is that the solar will not get enough light to charge the batteries with the cover on. Our other cover for the 19' lets enough light through to keep the batteries charged.
Hi Dave , maybe just get a cheaper cover then . Our solar on the other hand doing fantastic ! If I decide to put the Calmark on , I would just shut those switches off and add my battery tender charger for the batteries ? I am asking you because you know what I installed ? Pat
Old 11-26-2019, 03:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Same as Dave, I had 1-2 amps with the cheap Adco cover I had but pretty much nothing with the Calmark. Of course I'm a good deal north of you.
Good to know Bob .Pat
Old 11-26-2019, 04:23 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Hi Dave , maybe just get a cheaper cover then . Our solar on the other hand doing fantastic ! If I decide to put the Calmark on , I would just shut those switches off and add my battery tender charger for the batteries ? I am asking you because you know what I installed ? Pat
Shutting off your switches should be fine. Unless you have parasitic drains on your batteries, you would not need the battery charger hooked up fulltime. Once every couple of months should be fine.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:11 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"
How long do you spend in the penalty box for high sticking?
2002 Toyota Tundra 4X4
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Shutting off your switches should be fine. Unless you have parasitic drains on your batteries, you would not need the battery charger hooked up fulltime. Once every couple of months should be fine.
Thanks Dave ! Pat
Old 11-26-2019, 06:27 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
cover

Quote:
I just went on the weekend to check on the battery level after having the cover on. It is the one we got from escape, it is "Overdrive by classic accessories"
The cover was on for about 1 month and the battery was fully charged. I started up the inverter so there was a draw on the batteries and the solar was inputting .5 amp so as long as I am able to sweep off the snow here I think it should be ok. I'll find out for sure later this winter.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
I just went on the weekend to check on the battery level after having the cover on. It is the one we got from escape, it is "Overdrive by classic accessories"
The cover was on for about 1 month and the battery was fully charged. I started up the inverter so there was a draw on the batteries and the solar was inputting .5 amp so as long as I am able to sweep off the snow here I think it should be ok. I'll find out for sure later this winter.
Sounds like you should be ok ! Pat