Newbie Escape Questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2023, 10:16 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21 C owner :-D/ '24 RAM 1500 Limited
Newbie Escape Questions

Hello, everyone!

My wife and I have agreed to purchase a gently used E21C, and will drive 9 hours next week to meet the seller and take possession. [Yes. That's me doing backflips in the background.]

As I prepared to sleep last night, a few questions/concerns flashed through my head. These have no doubt been addressed by others previously, but I don't know where to look. Here they are:

Our driveway is an incline. Is there some mechanism whereby the brakes will automatically lock once the trailer is parked, so the trailer doesn't roll into my street (or my neighbor's front yard)?

If the trailer is stored over winter without being hooked up to shore power, must I remove the two lithium batteries?

If I'm ever caught in a snow storm, do I need to have chains for my trailer's tires?

Should I only buy gas at truck stops and avoid 'regular' gas stations? [I'm concerned about cornering/blocking spaces/causing congestion, etc.]

Are there any great educational YouTube videos on 'how to/how not to' tow a trailer?

Should I add some weight (sand bags) to the bed of my rear wheel drive Tacoma for better traction?

I'm reading the "Trailer Towing and the Law" thread now. There are suggestions to buy a Rand/McNally or Garmin RV GPS, which seems to me to be great advice! Those suggestions were posted in 2014. Are there better GPS models available now? Any suggestions?

Got any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your helpful tips and suggestions.

Michael
mresseguie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 11:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by mresseguie View Post
Hello, everyone!

My wife and I have agreed to purchase a gently used E21C, and will drive 9 hours next week to meet the seller and take possession. [Yes. That's me doing backflips in the background.]

As I prepared to sleep last night, a few questions/concerns flashed through my head. These have no doubt been addressed by others previously, but I don't know where to look. Here they are:

Our driveway is an incline. Is there some mechanism whereby the brakes will automatically lock once the trailer is parked, so the trailer doesn't roll into my street (or my neighbor's front yard)? No, You would need wheel chocks.

If the trailer is stored over winter without being hooked up to shore power, must I remove the two lithium batteries? Not Sure

If I'm ever caught in a snow storm, do I need to have chains for my trailer's tires?
No
Should I only buy gas at truck stops and avoid 'regular' gas stations? [I'm concerned about cornering/blocking spaces/causing congestion, etc.]I am probably more comfortable than most, and will pull in just about anywhere, Limiting yourself to larger gas stations, you should be fine. I am a commercial driver and pulling into a truck stop will only get you diesel and an upset trucker or two.

Are there any great educational YouTube videos on 'how to/how not to' tow a trailer? Not Sure

Should I add some weight (sand bags) to the bed of my rear wheel drive Tacoma for better traction?The tongue weight of the trailer will provide sufficient weight. You do not want to exceed your payload capacity.

I'm reading the "Trailer Towing and the Law" thread now. There are suggestions to buy a Rand/McNally or Garmin RV GPS, which seems to me to be great advice! Those suggestions were posted in 2014. Are there better GPS models available now? Any suggestions?I don't believe you would need one you are not excessively tall and will not be exceeding any road weight limits. They will often route you very long routes for various reasons that would not apply to your situation.

Got any other suggestions? You will likely need a brake controller unless your Tacoma already has one.

Thank you in advance for your helpful tips and suggestions.

Michael
Hope this helps some. I am sure others have more information and can add there experience as well. Welcome to the Escape club.

Ryan
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 11:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
'chock' that trailer!

Congrats on your impending new-to-you trailer, Michel!
Quote:
.... Our driveway is an incline. Is there some mechanism whereby the brakes will automatically lock once the trailer is parked, so the trailer doesn't roll into my street (or my neighbor's front yard)?
This Q caught my eye in particular, it's important to know that your trailer / rig is 'free-to-roll' at any time other than when hitched to your truck and you are pressing on the foot brake pedal.

So, when the truck and trailer are hitched and you park the rig on an incline, it's considered good practice to
  • firmly engage the truck parking brake while still pressing on the brake pedal
  • place the transmission in Neutral
  • carefully release the foot brake to ensure the parking brake holds the rig
  • only then place your truck's transmission in "Park" (this reduces stress on the 'parking pawl' in your transmission)

And before even starting to lower the tongue jack to unhitch your trailer
  • place a robust chock firmly behind at least one tire on both sides of the trailer (if you only chock one side the unchocked side may roll causing the trailer to 'rotate' with bad outcomes)

Hope that helps, Have Fun!

As to getting gas, I never use 'truck stops' unless convenient for some reason - just 'regular gas stations' being careful avoid over-crowded situations and 'scope my exit route' as I pull-in.
Old 09-01-2023, 11:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Welcome to the Escape world and I hope you make many enjoyable memories.

1. No brakes. Always chock the wheels whether on an incline or not.

2. If the batteries have low temperature protection, no.

3. Some states require that you have them but in weather like that we just sit out a day or two until the road is clear.

4. It's a comfort level thing. You get pretty good at scoping out the gas station as you approach. Most are OK but if it's congested we give it a pass.

5. There's a lot of conflicting info on youtube. No substitute for actual experience.

6. The tongue weight puts weight on the rear of the truck. When you're using the trailer you'll also likely have added a few items in the back of the truck. No added weights are necessary.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 12:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Quote:
My wife and I have agreed to purchase a gently used E21C, and will drive 9 hours next week to meet the seller and take possession.
Congratulations! We picked ours up new in April and took 3 weeks to tow it home 1,300 miles.

You already got may good answers to your questions, but I'll try to fill-in blanks or give an alternate perspective.

Quote:
Our driveway is an incline. Is there some mechanism whereby the brakes will automatically lock once the trailer is parked, so the trailer doesn't roll into my street (or my neighbor's front yard)?
That's a tough one. It depends on how much incline. We ultimately decided to rent a space in a nearby storage yard. Our trailer would not have been level even with the front jack raised completely--it seemed precarious.

Quote:
If the trailer is stored over winter without being hooked up to shore power, must I remove the two lithium batteries?
I wouldn't be worried about that, especially if you have a solar panel that will be exposed to normal daylight.

Quote:
Should I add some weight (sand bags) to the bed of my rear wheel drive Tacoma for better traction?
The tongue weight of the trailer is going to put far more weight than anything but a full bed of cinder blocks on your rear suspension. I would be far more worried that you're already close to exceeding the maximum cargo weight (not towing weight) of your truck by the time you're hitched, and your truck is loaded with all of the passengers and any cargo.

We towed a 3,600 lb. 13' Airstream with a 400 lb. tongue weight behind our 2019 Tacoma 4WD. The Tacoma only had a maximum cargo weight of 945 lbs. With two adults, some fragile or valuable cargo in the back of the cab, and a 250 lb. camper shell over the bed, the trailer tongue weight was going to put us far over the that maximum cargo weight. We squeaked-by after removing the camper shell, but even then it felt like the trailer was wagging the truck the whole time. (We did not have a weight distribution hitch.)

When we decided we were going to buy a larger trailer, we traded the Tacoma for an F150.

Quote:
I'm reading the "Trailer Towing and the Law" thread now. There are suggestions to buy a Rand/McNally or Garmin RV GPS, which seems to me to be great advice! Those suggestions were posted in 2014. Are there better GPS models available now? Any suggestions?
Many people just get some kind of mount for their smart phone. The company that hosts these forums does have their own RV-specific GPS app. I used it and was mostly satisfied with it.

Quote:
Got any other suggestions?
Don't try to drive back with your new rig in one go. I would take several days, as newbies, limiting your driving to under 4 hours per day. Camp within 30 minutes of the place you bought it for at least one night, and maybe two, to get moved-in and more familiar with all of the systems. While you're there, take the time to create your own pre-drive and post-drive checklists for all of the tasks. Stop to camp at least one more time (I would make two stops myself) to do a shakedown, gain some experience, and learn A LOT.

Best of joy and luck on your impending adventure!
SteveSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 11:41 PM   #6

A big THANK YOU for all replies and suggestions!

In no particular order....

After learning that the only real way to prevent the trailer from rolling into the street is to use chocks, I'm 90% certain I dare not even try parking it in my driveway. I need to find storage.

We plan to stay at an RV park not far from the seller's home. He even recommended a place. We'd like to stay 2 nights before driving back home. Since it's a nine+ hour drive, I suspect we'll shoot for stopping in or near Ashland, OR for one night. Alternatively, we might try stopping for a few hours at some of the rest areas along I-5. I've seen plenty of folks do this.

I think I need to buy a brake controller. We're going to take ownership of it next Wednesday, and this weekend is Labor Day weekend....where can I find one and how long/how easy or difficult is it to install?

I wasn't thinking about the weight of the trailer on my bed. No more sand bags for me (while I'll towing anyway).

We both have iPhones, but I'd like to buy an iPad or iPad mini to get a bigger screen for GPS duties.

Again, thank you all or providing very good information. We're really looking forward to our new adventures with this trailer.

Michael
Old 09-01-2023, 11:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Brake Controller

Quote:
I think I need to buy a brake controller. We're going to take ownership of it next Wednesday, and this weekend is Labor Day weekend....where can I find one and how long/how easy or difficult is it to install
I had a little more time than you, if your truck has a factory hitch then it's probably pre-wired for a brake controller. It took me under 2 hours to install and test the one in my Tacoma.

I got great performance in my Tacoma with the RedArc brand controllers. You might be able to find one in-stock at 4-Wheel Parts. You'll also need to buy an adapter cable and maybe a dashboard insert.

I liked the RedArc controller better than the one built-into the F150.
SteveSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 12:02 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I presume you have a 2WD Tacoma that can take the weight of the 21C. Does it have a tow package? I had to sell my 2WD because it wouldn't take the weight, with a tow package you are good.

As weight distribution hitch seems essential with a Tacoma (I have a 4WD with tow package and a V6). I do like the Anderson hitch ( https://andersenhitches.com/product/...ibution-hitch/). Plan wheel chocks make me nervous so I use something similar to these ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BT4MBSF5...hlbWF0aWM&th=1 ) and one on each side.

Good Luck
yeungfeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 01:02 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSgt View Post
I the RedArc brand controllers.
I 2nd the RedArc controller if your vehicle doesn’t already have a controller. Very easy to install and works. eTrailer often have videos showing how to install items they sell, I bought mine through them.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 02:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSgt View Post
I had a little more time than you, if your truck has a factory hitch then it's probably pre-wired for a brake controller. It took me under 2 hours to install and test the one in my Tacoma.
Yes. It's a factory installed hitch.

I got great performance in my Tacoma with the RedArc brand controllers. You might be able to find one in-stock at 4-Wheel Parts. You'll also need to buy an adapter cable and maybe a dashboard insert.

I'll look into Redarc controllers. Hopefully, I can get one quickly this weekend and install it by Monday night. (fingers crossed/all thumbs)
Old 09-02-2023, 02:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeungfeng View Post
I presume you have a 2WD Tacoma that can take the weight of the 21C. Does it have a tow package? I had to sell my 2WD because it wouldn't take the weight, with a tow package you are good.
Yes. It's a rear wheel drive PreRunner with a V6 4L engine.It has the factory installed tow package.

As weight distribution hitch seems essential with a Tacoma (I have a 4WD with tow package and a V6). I do like the Anderson hitch ( https://andersenhitches.com/product/...ibution-hitch/). Plan wheel chocks make me nervous so I use something similar to these ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BT4MBSF5...hlbWF0aWM&th=1 ) and one on each side.

I clicked the Amazon link and WOW! I like those X-shaped wheel chocks! I had no idea these existed. I may just be able to park on my driveway after all.

Good Luck
Thanks!
Old 09-02-2023, 06:24 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Before buying chocks, weight distributing hitch, and other accessories, check with you seller and see what they are willing to either give you or sell to you. Sellers often throw in a bunch of that stuff unless they are just getting a newer Escape or similar trailer.

If you park on a significant incline, be wary of those X type chocks. After tires are driven, especially in warm weather, they will have expanded a fair bit. When they cool down the "size" of the tire shrinks a little and those X kind might not hold a few hours later. Get some actual rubber or plastic chocks or at a minimum a 2x4. Check Harbor Freight or Northern Tool.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 07:26 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
As was mentioned get yourself four of these. I have quite an incline myself that I have my boat on and these work great. The X-type devices between the wheels I regard more as stabilizers than chocks. They can be used with the chocks but should definitely not be your sole means to hold the trailer, especially on an incline.

https://www.harborfreight.com/solid-...UaAqBSEALw_wcB
Old 09-02-2023, 07:32 AM   #14

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
BUY & USE WHEEL CHOCKS!

I can tell you a story how a 1994 4x4 Ford F-150's rolled over my shoulder on "seemingly" flat ground and onto my chest before I was able to wedge myself and keep it from rolling over me. Once I pushed it off my shoulder and tried to roll out the tire rolled over my head.

Outside of having my bell rung and a big cut behind my ear I luckily had no other injuries.

BUY & USE WHEEL CHOCKS!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 07:47 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Before buying chocks, weight distributing hitch, and other accessories, check with you seller and see what they are willing to either give you or sell to you. Sellers often throw in a bunch of that stuff unless they are just getting a newer Escape or similar trailer.
This is an excellent point. The seller may already have much of what you need, maybe more.

I would take anything he's willing to give cuz you never know- he may have something that is specific to another brand of tow vehicle for example and you may choose to switch to another vehicle if the Tacoma proves to be unsuitable.
Old 09-02-2023, 07:54 AM   #16

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
For everyone reading this, if you live in an area where the winter temperatures go below -20, F or C take your batteries inside, since lithiums can freeze and be permanently damaged. -30 happens occasionally in southern Minnesota, and just about every year in northern Minnesota.

Food for thought,

Perry
Old 09-02-2023, 08:15 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Hello, everyone!
There are suggestions to buy a Rand/McNally or Garmin RV GPS, which seems to me to be great advice! Those suggestions were posted in 2014. Are there better GPS models available now? Any suggestions?

Michael
When we got our Escape in 2015 we bought our first GPS, an inexpensive Garmin from Costco. Being paper map people and never having had one before we went cheap to try it out and see if we liked it, if it was necessary, etc. Despite the relative low cost it is still going strong and still meeting our needs nicely. We only use it for long road trips and that usually involves our trailer but not always.

Experiences and preferences vary so take the following with a grain of salt:

On our recent return trip across the western US and Canada we used both our Garmin GPS and Google Maps on our iPhones. I had recently updated the maps on the GPS and for some reason it only worked in the US on the westward leg of the journey. On our return through Canada the Garmin was out of commision so we used Google Maps. I didn't bother looking into fixing the problem with the Garmin and took the opportunity to compare the two.

I far preferred the Garmin GPS functionality to Google Maps. Perhaps a different app would make a difference but to me the Garmin was a task-specific tool and functioned well at the navigational tasks. The iPhone app seemed like an add-on that sorta did OK but nowhere near the fullness of the Garmin. Don't get me wrong, we use our phones for navigation frequently at home but for use in unfamiliar locations, I far prefer a dedicated, stand alone GPS.

Electronic GPS is very useful for us but that does not preclude the use of a paper map. We find both forms of navigation serve a necessary purpose. YMMV
Old 09-02-2023, 08:47 AM   #18

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
There are places where your iPhone, iPad, in car WiFi, and vehicle navigation system won’t get a signal. We have paper maps and an 12 year old Garmin Navi GPS. We usually put one of the iPhones on CarPlay for nav on the dash screen. One phone is Verizon, one is ATT. Sometimes neither work. We also have in car WiFi, and at least one iPad in the truck. While all of that makes driving in new places easier, there really are times you need paper maps.

As far as chocks, I have something like this:

https://www.maxxhaul.com/copy-of-50011

I really like Equalizer hitches, but they are heavy, and if payload is close, the Anderson is light.

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/

I have both the Redarc brake controller and the Prodigy 3. I think the P3 is easier to use and install. I think it has smoother braking action and is easier to adjust. It is easier to grab in an emergency. The Redarc looks better and is less in the way.

Most trucks have a wiring harness you can get an adapter for that allows you to just plug in your brake controller.

Redarc: https://www.redarcelectronics.com/us/trailer-brakes

Prodigy: https://www.tekonsha.com/products/br...al-controllers
Old 09-02-2023, 08:52 AM   #19

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19
Hi there,

Re brake controller: After reading many reviews and listening to the advice of a trusted local hitch installer, I ended up buying a Curt Echo Brake Controller, mainly so I could use it with various vehicles. It simply plugs into your 7 pin at the back of your tow vehicle then your trailer harness plugs into it, then you make a bluetooth connection with your phone. We picked up our E19 in Chilliwack in July 2023 and have since travelled about 3,000 km. This controller is very simple and reliable. Some reviewers complain about the build quality (plastic) and connection (a little flimsy), but I have found it quite adequate. It even held up recently on a very long stretch of washboard road.

It might be a convenient, short-term solution for you. I did a quick search and it looks like your local Uhaul has them in stock.

https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies...ller/?id=20543.

Re WDH: We got the E2 by Fastway. I absolutely love it. We tow with a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Through mountains after the pick up in Chilliwack, then home to Prairies, several campgrounds since. Having never used WDH, I was anxious at first, thinking it'd be difficult. The E2 orientation video with Karl and Dave makes this thing look way harder than it is for beginners because they don't have the hitch set up for the proper tow vehicle. The E2 has sway bars with no chains. It's a terrific product and works very well with our fairly light tow vehicle. I'd honestly rather tow our E19 with WDH than our old Trillium (only 1500 lbs) without WDH. Much smoother and quieter ride even with the sway bars that do make some noise (from friction to control the sway). I'm a big fan of the E2, but then again I have no experience of any other WDH to compare it to.

Safe & happy travels,

Paul
Pauly D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 09:23 AM   #20

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19
After reading brroberts' post above, payload is a consideration with the E2. With our Jeep's low payload, we travel with only light stuff in the tv.
Pauly D is offline   Reply With Quote