Newbie to Escape 5.0 - need advice - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2023, 10:43 AM   #1

Trailer: E-Pro 19FD
Newbie to Escape 5.0 - need advice

What years would this group suggest I concentrate on for the Escape 5.0 hunt? I do know I want the dual axle, so years 2014+ from what little I've read so far.

Seems the layout is basically the same, so I guess engineering changes from year to year? I'm keen on a 12 V frig but can't think of much else that is of major concern.
breeves2245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 11:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Not sure what year they switched to the second version of the dual axle shell...2017? The first version had more curved sides and the curved door, which was small and not large enough to fit practically any other refrigerator in/out.

If you are wanting a 12v compressor fridge you may be able to find a recent used trailer with one. Otherwise with a used trailer you'll probably need to upgrade to lithium batteries to switch to a 12v fridge, and depending on the age of the trailer that can mean swapping out/upgrading the converter, solar charger, and adding other electrical components necessary with lithium batteries. So your best bet is to watch for a used one to come on the market that already has a 12v fridge.

FWIW, we are very happy with our absorption fridge, no problems at all in five years and really only sips propane. Something to consider if you come across a used 5.0 that has everything you want except a 12v fridge.
Old 12-30-2023, 08:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Not sure what year they switched to the second version of the dual axle shell...2017?
Yes, early 2017. The new 5.0 mold was delayed compared to the other Gen2 models which debuted in 2016.
Old 12-31-2023, 08:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I agree with David, our fridge has worked flawlessly for 4 years and does a reasonably good job at keeping things cool. Any post 2017 5.0 trailer would be a great camper; there are so many use ones out there that have at least a solar package and many have even upgraded their batteries to lithium so that you could always install a 12v fridge at a later date.

The options we have come to really appreciate in our trailer include the flip up counter at the door end of the kitchen counter - that extra room is used always!, the reading lights in our bedroom which we use every night, the solar package (with 2 AGM batteries) which allows us to boondock for several days when the sun shines and the two-way hot water tank. These conveniences make trailer life a breeze - as former "tenters" we consider our Escape 5.0 RV lifestyle as glamping.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 06:46 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
I agree with David, our fridge has worked flawlessly for 4 years and does a reasonably good job at keeping things cool. Any post 2017 5.0 trailer would be a great camper; there are so many use ones out there that have at least a solar package and many have even upgraded their batteries to lithium so that you could always install a 12v fridge at a later date.

The options we have come to really appreciate in our trailer include the flip up counter at the door end of the kitchen counter - that extra room is used always!, the reading lights in our bedroom which we use every night, the solar package (with 2 AGM batteries) which allows us to boondock for several days when the sun shines and the two-way hot water tank. These conveniences make trailer life a breeze - as former "tenters" we consider our Escape 5.0 RV lifestyle as glamping.

I agree with all the worthwhile options marsman mentions.

Our 5.0TA is older than 2017 but we've had no problems with build quality and, like the guys above, our absorption fridge works fine. I did add internal and fridge vent fans this past summer because we were camping in very hot conditions.

We still use dual 6V batteries with our solar, they serve our purposes well and we feel no need to change.
Old 01-01-2024, 10:56 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
There are some advantages to either, the 2016 and older trailers are quite a bit less heavy than the 2017 and newer. The newer are wider and have a bit more room. I think the isle is a bit wider in the newer version. Other than that they are much the same.

I would agree with what the other posters have said about the frig. Unless you are always camping where it's stinking hot the absorption frig works great. And unless you are usually camping in campgrounds where you have hookups you are going to need to buy a trailer with lithium batteries and a significant solar system or you will need to add it at a significant cost, and also a new compressor frig probably because you will only be finding them in pretty new trailers.

I'm not sure when Escape started offering the compressor frig as an option.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 06:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
... I'm not sure when Escape started offering the compressor frig as an option.
I believe that was in late calendar year 2020. Very limited DC compressor fridge options were mentioned by my ETI configuration contact around that time.

I know that ETI agreed to install an owner-furnished DC compressor fridge as an 'exploratory experiment' around that time, too.

Personally, I went with the then standard 3-way. Though attracted by some compressor fridge features, ultimately, considering refrigeration a 'mission critical' need, I decided I did not want to be dependent on solar exposure to maintain batteries (even lithium) for extended boondocking. I can do without a microwave and other electric appliances as a power-conserving / battery-stretching strategy, but not the refrigeration (or furnace in cold weather).

YMMV, no worries!
Old 02-18-2024, 02:12 PM   #8

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
I agree with all the worthwhile options marsman mentions.

Our 5.0TA is older than 2017 but we've had no problems with build quality and, like the guys above, our absorption fridge works fine. I did add internal and fridge vent fans this past summer because we were camping in very hot conditions.

We still use dual 6V batteries with our solar, they serve our purposes well and we feel no need to change.
What were the internal and fridge vent fans added? What was the placement? How do you characterize the efficiency and practicality?
Jim
Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 02:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntington View Post
What were the internal and fridge vent fans added? What was the placement? How do you characterize the efficiency and practicality?
Jim
I followed the recommendations of some ppl here on the forum for fridge fans and posted about it here.

There are several different fan options. It's worth searching the forum for other ppls experiences.

We don't usually camp in such hot weather as we did last summer and the fridge was not keeping the contents as cold as we would have liked. After I installed the internal and vent fans we felt the fridge was back to normal operation. We also did our best to park the trailer with the fridge side (driver's side on our 5.0TA) out of the sun as much as possible.

For a modest investment we feel the fans were a worthwhile mod.