Pepper Spray in Canada? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #61

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Had one of those horns on my boat, but it's a bit bulky ( especially if you're also carrying a can of bear spray ).
I carry a whistle.
Maybe somebody could test which is more effective on bears?
Old 04-04-2014, 06:20 PM   #62

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
Does Canada consider bear spray a weapon that could be used in a crime? ?
Used by criminals it is a weapon. Not uncommon to be used in robberies. Deters getting chased by good Samaritans. Maybe used more in Canada for crimes because firearms are more restricted.

Speaking of bears, just talking to a neighbour. His ex was going to stay in her TAB trailer for a few days while some renos were being done. Put food etc. in trailer in her driveway. Bear tried to get in trailer. Did so much damage that the insurance co. wrote it off. Something about the exterior being very hard to repair.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #63

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Like Jim I have spent many thousands of nights in the Canadian Rocky Mountains and seen hundreds of bear ... not once have I had any issues or problems with them.

A few things to understand; first Bear Spray is not a repellant, it is a irritant. Spraying pepper spray at an advancing bear will cause irritation to the bear and in most cases the bear will leave. The actual pepper in "bear spray" if sprayed around a camp site will attract wildlife like bears ... as I said it does not work like insect repellant.

The best way to keep bears away is keeping a clean campsite, no food left around, don't dump waste water or spit tooth paste near your camp site.

There are many devices out there that claim to scare bears away, but using common sense and not attracting the bear in the first place is your best defence. I spoke to several park rangers in the Yukon who told the same story that bear spray, bear banger work on some bears and in some cases actually attract others. camp smart, camp clean.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #64

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
The last time we were in Yellowstone NP it was in the month of June several years back. Some of the camps were closed due to feeding bears in the streams. The park staff had just lost one of their favorite collared black bears to armed campers and were not in a very good mood. As a result they had temporarily banned all tent trailers from camping in most of the park for safety.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #65

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Thanks Glenn,
I have a bottle of bear spray that is at least 10 years and it may be a dud by now.
I had one like that, and used it to practise with. It was a worthwhile thing to do, as it gives a good real life visual of the range it fires. The one I fired off was 5-6 years past date, and seemed to work just fine. It seemed to put out a fair bit of propelled pepper too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #66

Where did you fire it? I briefly considered firing my old can off under the shed out back, where I suspect a skunk is living. Common sense kicked in and I'm not sure I even want to try it in my large back yard.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #67
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Bears?

All molded towables = Hard and crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside... Gina D.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #68

I fired it off at our land. You do want to be in an open area with a bit of breeze at your back.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #69

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
I have discharged expired bear spray cans to see how the spray works - a useful experience. Read the instructions, do it an an open area with wind at your back, and wash your hands afterwards. I found the can to have a bit of a kick from the pressure, had a optimum distance of around 10 feet and wind affected the spray considerably.

Bear safety needs to be taken seriously - to ensure bears are not attracted and harmed needlessly, and of course not to put people at risk. A fellow hiker I knew was killed from a bear mauling when he came across a moose kill the bear had. While unusual, these things happen.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #70

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Had one of those horns on my boat, but it's a bit bulky ( especially if you're also carrying a can of bear spray ).
I carry a whistle.
Maybe somebody could test which is more effective on bears?
That one is supposed to be small enough to fit in a pocket.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #71

Trailer: 5.0
I have hiked all over B.C.s' back country, even walked between a mother and her cubs, and I have not had any problems with bears. In Hyder Alaska they sneer at people who fear bears black and brown. You have to just remain calm and treat them respect.
Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:46 PM   #72

Sorry Al...but I think your asking for when traveling between a sow and her cubs. I you did this knowingly, that's not giving the respect and distance to a wild, unpredictable animal that can take your scalp off with one swipe. And that goes for moose also. They just love to stomp a fool. One small peep out of that young'un and your dead meat. Remember that some folks on this forum may not be as experienced as you indicate.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:54 PM   #73
Site Team

Quote:
.....Remember that some folks on this forum may not be as experienced as you indicate.
That's ME... I've only seen a bear (any kind of bear) in pictures or images on the Internet... or Zoo. And yes, I live in a state where there are Bears. But, where I (typically) camp.... racoons, coyotes, slugs and mosquotes are a "bigger" problem. YMMV
Old 04-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #74

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
Lone male bears are more likely to charge than a mom and cubs. Had a mother black bear chase her cubs up a tree and woof at me from 20 ft away. Here's a few maulings in popular camping places: a brown bear killed a camper in Hyder, a black bear killed a camper and mauled others at Fort Liard hot springs, some hikers were mauled on their way to Kinney Lake on the Berg Lake Mt Robson trail, a runner mauled and killed near Canmore. Don't mean to scare folks and agree need to treat them with respect. The occurrences are more often than publicized. I think better to be knowledgable about bear safety, carry bell and mace than not. Kind of like wearing a personal floatation device when on the water - never know when you will need it. There has been research done on bear spray and it works:
Spray more effective than guns against bears: study - Technology & Science - CBC News
http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/bear_coug...prayAlaska.pdf
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
That's ME... I've only seen a bear (any kind of bear) in pictures or images on the Internet... or Zoo. And yes, I live in a state where there are Bears. But, where I (typically) camp.... racoons, coyotes, slugs and mosquotes are a "bigger" problem. YMMV
Those Wet Coast Slugs are monstrous and very terrifying beasts.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:07 PM   #76

Have you ever seen a "tourist" with a cheap point and shoot camera try to get closer and closer to get a good close shot of a mother and her cute baby?
I have a couple of times and it didn't go well for them. One was an elk and I tried to point out the error of his way. As he turned to tell me to mind my own business...the elk cow charged him and nearly got him with her hooves. That was in RMNP. My back yard from 2000 to 2006.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:54 AM   #77
Site Team

A really good camera with a telephoto lens is a lot cheaper than long-term hospital bills.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
A really good camera with a telephoto lens is a lot cheaper than long-term hospital bills.
Doesn't matter. You still have to get closer, and closer and closer
Old 04-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #79

Trailer: 5.0
Heavens, I can assure you that was quite by accident with dense bush on either side of the trail. The sow stood up and we slowly backed away while facing her.
Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #80

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Those Wet Coast Slugs are monstrous and very terrifying beasts.
First time I saw them I thought they were something out of a bad sci-fi movie...."Radioactive Mutant Slugs"

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote