Random interest in parked trailer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2024, 04:56 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Just don't use all the anti theft deterrents you use to lull you into a false sense of security. The difference between you and a determined thief, is you CARE about your stuff/trailer/car/home... whatever. A thief doesn't. A thief will come close to destroying your stuff in an effort to steal it. It doesn't take much to bend the tubes on electric tongue jacks. So even if you have a cut-off switch, the thief may drag it down the street until it bends or breaks off. We're read where owners have done it! So yes, that does happen. Belts and suspenders.....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 05:56 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I did not nor would I suggest a GPS tracking device is an anti-theft device.
Quote:
As I have posted in the past, I believe the best anti-theft device is a GPS tracker.

Sorry, man, not to bicker because that is not what I intend, BUT you did say it was the best anti-theft device. That's why I posted what I did.
It's now cleared up, for me anyway.
Old 01-06-2024, 05:57 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
. . . I know people that read my thread Modifications to Eggscape must think I am paranoid about losing our trailer and I might be if I had not made the modifications. I would say I am confident that the trailer will be there each and every morning that I wake up and I don’t loose any sleep worrying about it.
Your Modifications thread is 42 pages long, so hard for anyone to find the security mods you made. Any chance you could just list them and the post/page numbers where we could read them?
Old 01-06-2024, 06:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I know people that read my thread Modifications to Eggscape must think I am paranoid about losing our trailer and I might be if I had not made the modifications. I would say I am confident that the trailer will be there each and every morning that I wake up and I don’t loose any sleep worrying about it.
I read every page of your Mods thread. You inspired some of my mods and got me thinking about other possibilities. Even though I hadn't thought about having the propane tanks stolen, your idea for locking them now has me feeling I won't wake up one morning to find them gone. Thanks
Old 01-07-2024, 05:05 AM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
Sorry, man, not to bicker because that is not what I intend, BUT you did say it was the best anti-theft device. That's why I posted what I did.
It's now cleared up, for me anyway.
Lyle, poor choice of words on my part. I should have explained in depth. If an attempt to steal any object is thwarted immediately or shortly after the actions of a thief, then the object, after apprehension of the thief is recovered and ultimately the owner has his/her property. If someone is trying to steal anything, and that somebody is caught in the act, then the theft has been unsuccessful. I suppose it depends on whether you consider the action or the end result to be the deciding factor. If I quickly recover that which is mine, I don’t consider it as stolen or lost. And no need for you to say “Sorry, man;” you make a legitimate point. I should have said “anti-attempted theft” device.
Old 01-08-2024, 03:08 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elowen View Post
We use a Ft.Knox on our 5.0 Andersen...

https://ftknoxlocks.com/

Darn heavy duty
⚠️
{probably already mentioned elsewhere}
I hope you bought the Abloy version, normal tumblers will not stop a professional thief for long. With an extra key, of course, if not a couple of them.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 07:53 PM   #27

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21NE "Escape to Margaritaville"
Hey guys and gals, well when I park my 21ne at home or on a site, I have all 4 of my stabilizer jacks down and locked along with the tung jack locked and a Proven Industry hitch lock with the chains locked up. Soon I'll be fabricating a hitch jack to place in the rear receiver and locked.
Everyone says layers, and I'm always working on new ideas.
Yes locks are for honest folks, but I got to try, cause it's mine and I worked hard for it and if you take it you are going to have to work hard as well to get it.

My two cents.......

Cheers....... and Happy Trails to ya....... Jack
jack sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 08:27 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Our 21C is parked by the rear side of the house; we're down a long driveway, so it's not very visible from the road. I put a Proven Industry lock on the hitch (chain ends fit in, too). Of course there are videos demonstrating that the Proven 'pucks' are easily defeated.

If we were going out of town for a long time, I might add my X-chocks with little padlocks, though they really aren't hard to pull out. Beyond this, there's not much I can do, short of pulling all the wheels off, or running a heavy chain around an axle and around a big tree.

But I'm not really worried. I think our neighbors across the driveway would notice someone working at stealing our trailer. And there's an Airstream just down the road that looks a lot more vulnerable; it's right in plain view of everyone driving by—and probably worth three times what our Escape is.
Old 01-09-2024, 07:15 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack sparrow View Post
Hey guys and gals, well when I park my 21ne at home or on a site, I have all 4 of my stabilizer jacks down and locked ....... Jack
I'm curious how you lock the stabilizer jacks?
Old 01-10-2024, 11:25 AM   #30

Hi Lyle
I 'll take some pictures this weekend and post them so you can see. I've seen no one else with these but they are fantastic. They are very heavy duty and I have one on every stabilizer and I modified my manual tongue jack and added one of these to it as well.

Here is a link to see what they are. They are a product from Europe. They are proud of their price, but .......... what's your Escape worth to ya??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22462814225...UaAr-WEALw_wcB

Let me know your thoughts and I'll get a picture or two of my installation and show you how I modified my tongue jack.

This video on youtube will show you how they work:

Cheers.... and Happy Trails to ya.......... Jack
Old 01-10-2024, 05:37 PM   #31

OK, I get it now. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2024, 09:07 PM   #32

Lyle

The system uses a 9/16 or 19mm socket as well.
I use a cordless drill to run the jacks up and down, works great. Rather than hand cranking.
Each one is keyed different, which I don't mind. It just makes another layer of security / difficulty.

Cheers....... and Happy Trails to ya....... Jack
Old 01-10-2024, 11:13 PM   #33

Trailer: 2022 E19
Geeeeezzzzzz....

Guess we all need fortified perimeters and armed response teams.......

Some of the best vehicle purchases I have made were instigated by "stopping by" something I saw while out and about. Both sides ended up happy.

You can usually tell in about 5 seconds what the intent really is......how you react at that point is the key.

As the saying goes, "Be polite, but have a plan to "something" all of them.
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 05:12 AM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack sparrow View Post
Hi Lyle
I 'll take some pictures this weekend and post them so you can see. I've seen no one else with these but they are fantastic. They are very heavy duty and I have one on every stabilizer and I modified my manual tongue jack and added one of these to it as well.

Here is a link to see what they are. They are a product from Europe. They are proud of their price, but .......... what's your Escape worth to ya??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22462814225...UaAr-WEALw_wcB

Let me know your thoughts and I'll get a picture or two of my installation and show you how I modified my tongue jack.

This video on youtube will show you how they work:

Cheers.... and Happy Trails to ya.......... Jack
Are these really going to stop theft? Most thieves are not concerned with damage. It would seem to me that the trailer could be towed away and relatively quickly the locked stabilizers would be deformed to the point that they would not create any interference or ripped out of the frame. Please correct me if my conclusion is incorrect.
Old 01-11-2024, 07:13 AM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Are these really going to stop theft? Most thieves are not concerned with damage.
This is absolutely, absolutely true. Thieves don't care about your stuff. I tried to make that point earlier in the thread. Shoot, we've read enough times where owners of these trailers have driven off and bent the heck out of the stabilizers. These thin pieces of metal aren't going to slow down a thief.

Okay, maybe if your trailer is parked in your driveway or along side your house. Because of the noise factor when scrapping them down the road. But in a unmanned storage facility or any place noise isn't a big concern. Nah.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote