Reinforced Cabinet Walls? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2021, 01:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C "Mabel" (on order) / 2019 F150 3.5 EcoBoost
Reinforced Cabinet Walls?

Are Reinforced walls in the Micro Cabinet w/storage recommended for post-market storage additions?

We have seen so many great ideas on what people have done for flexible storage and figured reinforced walls would be necessary. However, when I saw the 21C Shipping weight ( 4,128#) and Cargo Capacity (#872), it made me think about a potential need to drop a few pounds ( Trailer, not me... )

Appreciate any input on reinforced cabinet walls and an 872# cargo capacity.

Richard
Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 01:40 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is a model specific schematic that shows which walls can be reinforced during your build.
If you need help finding yours please ask.....
Old 12-14-2021, 01:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
All of the paneled cabinet and bath module divider walls have a full height solid-wood vertical framing member (a 'stud' so to speak) that's about 1-1/2" wide at both the front and back edges. The finish paneling and intersecting wall is fastened to that, and some of the cabinet divider walls even have intermediate vertical framing inside.

IMO as long as you can fasten whatever storage system you want to those vertical framing members (or work with a 'cleat' fastened to those) there's little reason to go with the optional solid infill for the whole wall.

Me, I'd only go for the 'reinforced wall' if I had an absolute need to fasten a heavy load-bearing item to the 'field' of the wall and nowhere else.

PS - the It's Friday .... (build pics) thread is a wonderful resource for pics of this sort of thing - surf that thread and you'll find pics of incomplete walls with the internal framing exposed.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
All of the paneled cabinet and bath module divider walls have a full height solid-wood vertical framing member (a 'stud' so to speak) that's about 1-1/2" wide at both the front and back edges. The finish paneling and intersecting wall is fastened to that, and some of the walls even have intermediate vertical framing inside.

IMO as long as you can fasten whatever storage system you want to those vertical framing members (or work with a 'cleat' fastened to those) there's little reason to go with the optional solid infill for the whole wall.

Me, I'd only go for the 'reinforced wall' if I had an absolute need to fasten a heavy load-bearing item to the middle of the wall and nowhere else.

PS - the It's Friday .... (build pics) thread is a wonderful resource for pics of this sort of thing - surf that thread and you'll find pics of incomplete walls exposing the framing
What am I today? Mr. Ditto

I do sorta cringe when I see folks adding all that extra weight just on spec.

The structure is there for most things folks need and there's lot's of photos to show you where it is.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 04:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhold View Post
...... However, when I saw the 21C Shipping weight ( 4,128#) and Cargo Capacity (#872), it made me think about a potential need to drop a few pounds ( Trailer, not me... ) Appreciate any input on reinforced cabinet walls and an 872# cargo capacity. ...Richard
Interesting..........

My 2022 21C optioned up build sheet, with 3 reinforced walls (2,5 & 6) an A/C, U dinette, standard cooktop - no oven, no microwave, compressor fridge, cargo box, elec tongue jack, frameless windows, manual awning, 2 solar panels with 2 lithium batteries shows a dry (base) weight of 3,465 and a shipping weight of 3,837 with 1,164 cargo capacity. Wonder what your extra 292 lbs. is..........or if my build sheet is off?
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 21C "Mabel" (on order) / 2019 F150 3.5 EcoBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
Interesting..........

My 2022 21C optioned up build sheet, with 3 reinforced walls (2,5 & 6) an A/C, U dinette, standard cooktop - no oven, no microwave, compressor fridge, cargo box, elec tongue jack, frameless windows, manual awning, 2 solar panels with 2 lithium batteries shows a dry (base) weight of 3,465 and a shipping weight of 3,837 with 1,164 cargo capacity. Wonder what your extra 292 lbs. is..........or if my build sheet is off?
Yes indeed: We currently have all reinforced walls = an extra 75#. Most other options are similar except we selected a standard fridge, electric awning and spray foam insulation.
Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhold View Post
Yes indeed: We currently have all reinforced walls = an extra 75#. Most other options are similar except we selected a standard fridge, electric awning and spray foam insulation.
Add another 40-50# for the spray foam. It all adds up quick!
Old 12-15-2021, 05:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
We had all six of our walls reinforced on our 5.0.
WanderBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:13 AM   #9

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Our 21C has 3 reinforced walls. Wish we had 2 more. Would have made our interior cabinetry build a lot easier. Attaching to barely 1/8” plywood and trying to find the internal framing sucks.
Our weight is 3500/1500 total GVWR 5000 on the stickers.

I personally give a flip about a few extra pounds.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote