Retirement - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #121

Trailer: 21' foot 2019
I started off building (23 years in the trades). Now I design and build drift boats. I too have to design and build. Else my hands start to shake.
pittendrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #122

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
We found something to do while we travel in retirement. We build houses for Habitat for Humanity in their Care-a-Vanner program. The Habitat affiliate provides a place to park our Escape and we work 5 to 6 hours a day building houses for a couple of weeks. It is fun, physical work with no pressure to hurry or do something beyond our capabilities.

If you are interested, google Care-a-Vanners. There are lots of places in the US throughout the year. Just sign up for any you are interested in participating in. No experience required.

Another worthwhile retirement choice is volunteering for Remote Area Medical (RAM). Meg and I just completed our first weekend clinic and plan on doing more. We met other volunteers who were camping nearby, same as we were. It's rewarding work and you don't need to be a medical professional. Everyone is welcome. -Tom

https://www.ramusa.org
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:34 PM   #123

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnest View Post
Another worthwhile retirement choice is volunteering for Remote Area Medical (RAM). Meg and I just completed our first weekend clinic and plan on doing more. We met other volunteers who were camping nearby, same as we were. It's rewarding work and you don't need to be a medical professional. Everyone is welcome. -Tomhttps://www.ramusa.org
Thanks for the link. I just signed up for a clinic at Saint Francis, SD to be held in August.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:44 PM   #124

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
So I got into building catios - outdoor cat enclosures - and built up a business doing that.

David - We live in the Santa Cruz Mountains where the wildlife is a constant threat to our 'domestic' animals. People have been talking "caticos" for some time and they keep referring to the "Catico Expert". Finally, someone posted a website and photo of this expert and, lo and behold, it's YOU!! Hope to meet you in person one day and (maybe) get your autograph ... you celebrity you.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:54 PM   #125

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
I am 55 and I am struggling a bit so this thread was most welcome. I know I’ll figure it all out, but I miss being useful and productive.

You're definitely not alone Jane. I took early retirement at age 55 from a job I loved (HR Director). It took me nearly three years to get over that depressing feeling that I was no longer a "useful" member of society. Thankfully, I took my 'hobby' and turned it into a small business which helped tremendously. I've always said that you need to retire "to" something ... be it a hobby, business, travel, social work, etc. in order to avoid that empty feeling.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:37 AM   #126

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I've had 5 "careers" in my life and the last one was the perfect marriage of the prior 4. (Union construction in my 20's, Restaurant manager / wine buyer in my 30's, owned my own painting business in my early 40's, then drove for Seattle Metro transit part-time while I went to college and earned a computer degree) Then from '97 until 2016, I was the embedded computer nerd in the engineering department at a major Bio-Pharma company.

When they closed the Seattle site in 2015 I took the early retirement package at age 63. Within a month they called me back to consult because I was one of only 3 people in the company that could do what I do. I have been consulting on my terms ever since. (I only work in the NW rainy season, Oct.- May.)

But now that I have received my second SS check, and my wife will get hers in Sept, I'm thinking I am ready to let that phase of my life go and do other things. It has be a wonderful experience consulting and doing this transition slowly over 3 years. And it is flattering that I have since been recruited by other companies. But as interesting as the work has been, I'm really liking the idea of using my talents in other arenas.

Working part time as I do has allowed me time to get involved in local neighborhood projects. But the idea of "RV Care-A-Vanners Program | Habitat for Humanity" has caught my eye before. So hearing of others in this thread also doing this work has renewed my interest. I love working with my hands and want to stay active as long as health allows. (Speaking of which, I just read "Younger Next Year" and highly recommend it per the recommendation of others on this thread. Thanks!)

This is a great thread. Lovely to hear each others stories and how we have transitioned to the "Last 3rd" of our lives. Thanks!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:36 AM   #127

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I retired from the NPS as a network engineer. It took me 10 minutes to get used to it (ok maybe 5) Picked up my fiddle planned the trip to pick up our 21 and never looked back. Life is full of surprises and unexpected twists . Embrace your newfound freedom from work , but find a new passion,
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:21 PM   #128

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Embrace your newfound freedom from work, but find a new passion,
And, there is the rub. I'm trying to make any new "passion" not materialistic or superficial pursuits with mixed success.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:32 PM   #129
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
This is me!
Attached Thumbnails
I-Need-A-Hobby.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #130

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
I just read "Younger Next Year" and highly recommend it per the recommendation of others on this thread. Thanks!)
So are you exercising like mad now? I read both younger next year and thinner next year but other than continuing with my diet which has always been pretty healthy and getting moderate exercise I don't think I'll go all out like the books suggest.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #131

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Exercising

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
So are you exercising like mad now? I read both younger next year and thinner next year but other than continuing with my diet which has always been pretty healthy and getting moderate exercise I don't think I'll go all out like the books suggest.

Being on the road about 10 months a year, I find exercising a difficult thing to work into my schedule. I try to get in cycling and kayaking when we are camped somewhere conducive, and I have a set of stretchy bands to work out with, but I never use them.

I'm interested in what other's do.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #132

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I sit in my easy chair and complain about the young folk.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:57 PM   #133

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
I am 55 and I am struggling a bit so this thread was most welcome. I know I’ll figure it all out, but I miss being useful and productive.

You're definitely not alone Jane. I took early retirement at age 55 from a job I loved (HR Director). It took me nearly three years to get over that depressing feeling that I was no longer a "useful" member of society. Thankfully, I took my 'hobby' and turned it into a small business which helped tremendously. I've always said that you need to retire "to" something ... be it a hobby, business, travel, social work, etc. in order to avoid that empty feeling.
I’m working on a website for my art - perhaps that will turn into something. I keep telling myself that I worked hard for this and to enjoy it. I think I might be starting to listen to that! 😊
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:11 PM   #134

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I understand that those retiring from rewarding careers would be concerned about feeling useful afterward. This was not my situation-- in my case retirement was like ejection from a burning airplane: the idea was to Get Out, then figure out what to do afterward.

So far it has worked out pretty well for me. People are concerned about being lonely and bored in retirement. I have actively engaged in various hobbies that have kept me involved with other people and learning new stuff. I realized a few days ago that I have more friends now than I've ever had before.

I'm never really bored, but to give me some structure I've developed an informal daily schedule:
- In the mornings I do something that requires cognition, e.g. programming or learning Morse code, etc.
- I spend one hour or less cleaning a room, on a rotating schedule.
- In the afternoon I work on an outside or inside project, depending upon the weather. My old house keeps me busy.
- I might take a nap at some point, not always.
- At night I read before going to bed.
So far, so good. This works for me. YMMV, as Donna says.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:40 PM   #135

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
I haven’t got there yet. Still trying to make daily exercise a habit. I have managed a few 15+ mile bike rides that were very satisfying. Because of the book, I used my heart rate to guide my efforts instead of just going for it and feeling depleted at the end. I felt invigorated and healthier when through.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:12 AM   #136
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I really need to start riding my bike again. last time I did I dropped 25 lbs in a couple months to a svelte 200, and probably could have made 180 if I'd kept it up. just doing 10-20 mile vigorous rides a few times a week.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:50 AM   #137

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I finally discovered my second career. A gentlemen who does absolutely nothing required some assistance. I applied and was accepted.

The hours are great. The pay, Don't know what it is cause I ain't got none yet.

Best job I ever had. Sure beats carrying a rifle.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:44 AM   #138

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
I finally discovered my second career. A gentlemen who does absolutely nothing required some assistance. I applied and was accepted.

The hours are great. The pay, Don't know what it is cause I ain't got none yet.

Best job I ever had. Sure beats carrying a rifle.
But the problem is you never get a day off??
Old 07-07-2019, 07:26 AM   #139

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I have a good friend in Maryland who is an avid cyclist. So I bought a nice Trek bike when I lived there and rode it around BWI airport before going to work. I found that even with daily rides I could never get in good enough shape to enjoy it; I was always tired and had to stop frequently.

In the intervening years cycling has caught on in the Florida Panhandle and I see cyclists going down my rural road all the time. Yesterday I saw two on a nearby highway. It was 97 degrees at the time. I don't see how they can do it, and I don't see how they can enjoy it. I need to think of something else for exercise.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:32 AM   #140

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just thinking of exercise tires me.......