RV Tech course? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2024, 12:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2024 Escape 19
RV Tech course?

Hello,

While we wait for the completion date of our new 19, I want to learn as much as I can about owning and operating an RV. Several months or so ago, when we first began seriously researching whether or not we really wanted to do this, I remember seeing an RV tech course somewhere that seemed like a good idea from someone brand new to this. I don't remember what course that was now.

Does anyone have any recommendations on courses to take or any other ways to learn as much as possible before we pick ours up at the end of June? In the meantime, I'm watching as many YouTube videos as I can.

Thank you,
Kevin
FedFan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 12:55 PM   #2
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedFan31 View Post
Hello,

While we wait for the completion date of our new 19, I want to learn as much as I can about owning and operating an RV. Several months or so ago, when we first began seriously researching whether or not we really wanted to do this, I remember seeing an RV tech course somewhere that seemed like a good idea from someone brand new to this. I don't remember what course that was now.

Does anyone have any recommendations on courses to take or any other ways to learn as much as possible before we pick ours up at the end of June? In the meantime, I'm watching as many YouTube videos as I can.

Thank you,
Kevin
My RV Works has lots of videos and even some specialty tools. I've watched a lot of Darren's video's and they are detailed but sometimes rather long. Check them out. Explorist Life is also good particularly for solar related topics.
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
My RV Works has lots of videos and even some specialty tools. I've watched a lot of Darren's video's and they are detailed but sometimes rather long. Check them out. Explorist Life is also good particularly for solar related topics.
Thank you! Just subscribed to both channels.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Kevin

I was a newb too when we ordered our 5/0TA in 2014. I read this forum extensively and watched a lot of YouTube. I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday let alone what YouTube I watched 10 years ago so I can't be of any help there. If you are mechanically inclined at all you can find most of what you need on this forum to guide you in most maintenance or DIY projects.

Luckily I have a friend who had RVed for years who shared his opinions and experiences freely.

I felt ready when we picked up our new trailer in May 2015. I like to be prepared for new things but there is nothing like getting out there and doing it to really cement all the prep work together.

Another thing we did was to spend a couple nights camping near ETI to familarize ourselves with all the functions of the trailer AND read or review the operating manuals that came with the trailer. It's surprising how much info is provided if you look in the folder they give you.

Keep learning, you'll get there.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2023 E19
I'm also a first-time RV owner...and spent considerable time learning about RV systems and towing from various sources while while waiting for my build.

One YouTuber I found exceptionally helpful was James at AZ Expert:

https://www.youtube.com/@AZExpert

The channel tends to focus primarily on inspection and servicing of Class A motorhomes and higher-end coaches. However, his content provides a lot of insight into the various systems and general RV maintenance knowledge.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 11:55 AM   #6

I found the course I saw several months ago:

https://rvtechcourse.com/products/rv...online-version

Can anyone offer any thoughts on this? Is it worth it?
Old 03-16-2024, 04:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I don't think that anyone is a bigger booster of DIY than I am. However I see this situation like carrying a few spare parts. The one you end up needing its probably the one you didn't pack.

I'd say, if you're really interested in learning and want to take the course for enjoyment, go for it. If not, in my experience, the most important part of being able to deal with problems and be self reliant is the willingness to tackle a problem. With your considering taking a course, you've shown that willingness.

With a "can do" attitude and the incredible amount of RV repair info and this forum most problems can be dealt with if or when they occur.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 06:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
'Tis true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I don't think that anyone is a bigger booster of DIY than I am. However I see this situation like carrying a few spare parts. The one you end up needing its probably the one you didn't pack.

I'd say, if you're really interested in learning and want to take the course for enjoyment, go for it. If not, in my experience, the most important part of being able to deal with problems and be self reliant is the willingness to tackle a problem. With your considering taking a course, you've shown that willingness.

With a "can do" attitude and the incredible amount of RV repair info and this forum most problems can be dealt with if or when they occur.

Ron
My understanding is humanity has advanced often by trial & error". A healthy dose of moxie, curiosity, patience and willingness to learn and remedy ones missteps goes a long way. Taking a course can help, but hands on experience beats book learning, hands down.
Give it a go, whichever, but this trailering is not rocket science. Checklists can help, at all times and at all level of experience. We're only human.

Read and learn as much as you can swallow, but going slowly at first, deliberately when doing a procedure, considering each actions implications, goes a long way to success .

And don't be rushed by anybody or anything. Slow down, think it out.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 07:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Can anyone offer any thoughts on this? Is it worth it?
Hi again, FedFan31. As I mentioned before, about two years ago I was in the exact same place as you with having no experience in the RV arena. I didn’t go as far as to take courses like the ones you’re looking into, but I did hit YouTube and other resources hard. There are some really informative videos out there by RVers with their own YouTube channels.

Also, as I pointed out to you previously on the hitching process, Escape has a collection of great videos on their website under “Orientations & Tutorials.” I downloaded some of these videos to my iPad before we left to go pick up our 21C so I could refer back to them offline if anything went wrong. There is nobody better to watch for an orientation than Reace Harmatuik (the founder of Escape with his wife Tammy - and I really wish I had the chance to meet them before they sold the company).

I am envious of many on this forum who - clearly - have a much more advanced knowledge of all the systems in our Escapes, but I believe I was able to gain the ability and resources to carry out the basics of RVing (if not a little more) by simply learning from videos. If you’re really ambitious, you can steer your travels down to Athens, Texas where NRVTA (the company that puts out the online courses you’re looking at) runs an actual RV school.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 10:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
My understanding is humanity has advanced often by trial & error". A healthy dose of moxie, curiosity, patience and willingness to learn and remedy ones missteps goes a long way. Taking a course can help, but hands on experience beats book learning, hands down.
Give it a go, whichever, but this trailering is not rocket science. Checklists can help, at all times and at all level of experience. We're only human.

Read and learn as much as you can swallow, but going slowly at first, deliberately when doing a procedure, considering each actions implications, goes a long way to success .

And don't be rushed by anybody or anything. Slow down, think it out.
Couldn't have said it better......being a complete RV noob when picking up our 21 8 years ago. One thing I'd stress is the "don't be rushed" above......it could have saved me an extraneous extra PEX connection. Good luck. Have fun.
Bill_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 07:00 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you,
Kevin
Videos and information on here only goes so far, very helpful but hands on is always the best.
Maybe rent a similar RV then take it to a local RV park, there will be some really good people there and many would be more than happy to help you out with understanding what’s needed.
It’s definitely overwhelming at first.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 09:07 PM   #12

Thank you for all the suggestions so far.

I know there's nothing that can compare to the actual experience gained from getting out there and doing it. I can't wait for that!! But, until then, I'm just trying to learn as much as I possibly can. Partly to be as prepared as possible but mostly just because I have a natural interest to learn. I'm really curious to actually know how things work. I want to really understand the systems in the RV to a relatively deep level. So that's why I ask about such a class mentioned earlier. I've been watching more since this original post and I'm starting to think now that I can probably just find YouTube videos out there that will help gain that deeper understanding without spending actual money on this course.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:42 AM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
I realize that I live a few hours from you and have a different model trailer but if you wanted to make the trip I would be willing to spend some time with you going through the trailer and checking out the trailer systems. I could also share my maintenance practices, what I carry along and why.
If that sounds like something you would want to do send me a PM and we can set up a date and time.
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 11:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepaweb View Post
I realize that I live a few hours from you and have a different model trailer but if you wanted to make the trip I would be willing to spend some time with you going through the trailer and checking out the trailer systems. I could also share my maintenance practices, what I carry along and why.
If that sounds like something you would want to do send me a PM and we can set up a date and time.
Thanks so much for this offer! I'm finding a lot of useful info on YouTube. That being said, I have been thinking about a weekend getaway to an airBnB(last one probably once I have my 19 ) in April. Maybe I'll book something in your area and get in touch with you about setting something up. Thanks again!
Old 03-22-2024, 09:30 AM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
There is this. https://nrvta.com/
They also have a YouTube channel that I have watched. Very well done and very informative.
Old 03-22-2024, 11:20 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
I have to agree that watching YouTube videos from reputable dealerships and trial and error will get you further than any RV tech course. The only caveat I have is; trust but verify. I recently watched a video from a guy claiming to be an expert on axle bending to align wheels on a camper. He took no measurements and had the jack slip out a couple of times when he was trying to bend the axle with a chain setup, almost hitting him in the face once! Once he bent the axle he simply looked at it from behind and called it good. No measurements.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 08:39 PM   #17

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
I have to agree that watching YouTube videos from reputable dealerships and trial and error will get you further than any RV tech course. The only caveat I have is; trust but verify. I recently watched a video from a guy claiming to be an expert on axle bending to align wheels on a camper. He took no measurements and had the jack slip out a couple of times when he was trying to bend the axle with a chain setup, almost hitting him in the face once! Once he bent the axle he simply looked at it from behind and called it good. No measurements.

That sounds like some good comedy. Got a link?
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 09:01 AM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
That sounds like some good comedy. Got a link?
Well, of course now I can't find it but I promise to keep looking. Basically the guy was using a bottle jack like in this video: https://youtu.be/H3tbsnVKxjU?si=p3wQOQtenNKtWq0H
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 11:08 AM   #19

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
Daily newsletter. Free, however donations help keep the site up and running. You'll learn alot about all aspects of camping.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote