What tires come on a new Escape? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2024, 09:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Casita FD
What tires come on a new Escape?

Hi. We just purchased a pre-owned 21c, and am trying to decide what new tires to purchase. The trailer came with Carlisle tires. Is that the brand that Escape originally installs? Thanks!
Sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 09:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
They have come with different brands at different times. Many of us choose to replace with USA made Goodyear Endurance tires.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:29 PM   #3

Thanks. It's a 2021 trailer. I have used GY Endurance on my Casita, but am thinking they are overpriced. Not so sure they're that much better. If Carlisle is okay for Escape, might be okay for me.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:08 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoran View Post
Thanks. It's a 2021 trailer. I have used GY Endurance on my Casita, but am thinking they are overpriced. Not so sure they're that much better. If Carlisle is okay for Escape, might be okay for me.
At one time, Carlisle was considered by many to be the best trailer tire available. My 2015 had Carlisles. After six years and many miles, they still had plenty of tread left, but I did replace them with Goodyear Endurance (made in North America) not due to wear but due to age. Goodyear Endurance has seemingly replaced Carlisle as the trailer tire of choice by many Escape owners. That doesn’t necessarily mean they are better, but it doesn’t mean they aren’t better either. Obviously cost is important to some people, which is another way of saying YMMV. With tires, the statement that “YMMV” is appropriate!
Old 03-19-2024, 06:20 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi. We just purchased a pre-owned 21c, and am trying to decide what new tires to purchase. The trailer came with Carlisle tires. Is that the brand that Escape originally installs? Thanks!
Hi: Sonoran... My OEM Carlisle tires looked fine but on close inspection at a pre trip bearing repack found some to be cracked in the tread grove completely around the tire. My RV Tech said he wouldn't tow those tires 1/2 way across the country. My tire dealer said he'd get me tires for $90. ea. Great price but Mfg'd in Asia. I said I wanted GY Endurance tires and he tried to tell me all trailer tires are made in Asia. I said NO!!! GY Endurance are made in USA as indicated on the sidewall. On installation the crew doing the job found each tire weighed 7- 10 lbs. more. More rubber = more weight. They cost $130. ea. but how much does confidence cost? Remember a lot is riding on your tires and rubber isn't like fine wine. It doesn't get better with age!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030936.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 07:07 AM   #6

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
I bought my GY Endurance ST205/75/15 at Walmart online for about $150 each and no shipping charges. I took them to my real mechanic tire guy to mount and balance them. Make sure you tell them "no balance weights on the outside" please. Consider investing in steel valve stems at the same time. Cheap money well spent.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 07:49 AM   #7

Thanks for your replies. I will probably go with GY Endurance again. Been happy with the ones I have used. I was just shocked by the $189 price plus installation at Discount Tires. Have since discovered them for $145 on Amazon. Works for me.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:18 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
You have a lot riding on your tires. Goodyears on our two Escapes and Michelins on our tow vehicle. If I still had a truck and when I did, I’d be running BF Goodrich. Over 60 years of buying, selling, fixing, balancing and INSPECTING tires. Yes all caps, very important, as a regular procedure. Cracks, sharp rocks in the tread, things that could give you a flat that haven’t yet, balance with. as mentioned, weights on the inside, metal stems and properly torqued lug nuts, coupled, with properly lubed and seated bearings and finally brakes working as they should. Regular checks on inflation will give you peace of towing mind and best milage. I’m running 54 PSI for stability, no bouncing, heat gain and loss. A thermal heat thermometer, good inflation gauge and an inflation device along on a trip are all good insurance. TPMS systems are excellent if you have the money and inclination, they are worth it.
Just my $.02
Have a great day, make some reservations and “get on the road again”.
Iowa Dave .
Old 03-19-2024, 08:23 AM   #9

Thanks, Iowa Dave. As it happens, we'll probably be rolling through my home state of IA this summer. Indianola and Ottumwa. BTW, why weights on the inside? Probably in a thread here somewhere, but haven't seen it.
Old 03-19-2024, 09:18 AM   #10

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
[QUOTE=Iowa Dave;465340] weights on the inside,

Why weight on the inside only

I've have been running balanced Carlile 8 ply tire with high pressure valve (metal) since 2 1/2 years now after worring out Escape original tire at 35 000 km without any rotation.. The Carlile have now more than 30 000 km or 20 000 miles on then and rotate then every 5-6000 km. Keep inflate at 50#. The max inflation is 65#

Happy with those tire
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 12:43 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
I’ll need new tires as well once my axles are replaced. I’m still on the fence regarding the GY Endurance. I know they are popular on this forum but they have their share of bad reviews on other forums. Probably going to stick with the same Carlisle Radial Trail. Definitely going to spring for a TPMS though.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 04:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 2023 21NE
Quote:
My 2023 21NE delivered this January came with Carlisle tires.
Charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 05:45 PM   #13

Thanks. Thats what I wanted to know. I do think that if they’re terrible tires, Escape wouldn’t put them on as the only option.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:51 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
[QUOTE=hondasaurus;465342]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
weights on the inside,

Why weight on the inside only
Ditto. I'm wondering, too!
Old 03-19-2024, 06:19 PM   #15

Trailer: 2023 21NE
[QUOTE=MrLynn;465363]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondasaurus View Post

Ditto. I'm wondering, too!
I noticed weights on the inside of my aluminum rims on my new 21NE. Escape did good. Looks better.
Charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 06:42 PM   #16

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
Nothing really wrong with Carlisle Tires. They pass the DOT specs. But they are cheap. The Goodyears have a bit more meat on them and ar not much more money.

A fair amount of roads and trails we travel on are in tough shape. Sharp pointy rocks and things in the road are of constant sorrow for all of us.

It is likely more important that you actually have a good hard look at your tires when you are out camping than the brand of tire. I check pressures quite often and even have the serious Viair compressor to give them some air when needed. The sidewalls of trailer tires also take a pretty good beating and need to be looked at closely. Have a look at the spare tire once in a while as it could one day save you.

I also prefer the weights on the inside of the wheel especially with alloy rims.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 08:15 PM   #17

Weights on the inside
Look better, rims don’t get dinged up when they are put on, weighs don’t get
Scrubbed off in potholes or on curbs.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-19-2024, 10:02 PM   #18

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Sonoran... My OEM Carlisle tires looked fine but on close inspection at a pre trip bearing repack found some to be cracked in the tread grove completely around the tire.
My "Sasquatch " brand had Hercules on it when I bought it. I had heard they were better than normal China Bombs. They were about 3 years old and like new. The spare was a GY Marathon original to the trailer with a 07 date on it. I had replaced it with an Endurance. About 12 miles into the trip the right rear shed the middle of the tire, leaving the sidewalls. I mounted the spare, went into town to the GY store, the only place with an Endurance in stock, and replaced the shredded one.

When I got home, I found that the front right was full of steel wires from the blown tire, and one of the LH tires had the same cracks Alf has described, in the bottom of the tread, all the way around the tire. I really think that is what caused the entire tread area to separate was those circumferential bottom of the tread groove cracks. Only one Hercules was good and I installed it on a 5x10 utility trailer that rarely gets used. Same trailer I had installed the new/old Marathon on.

My GY Endurance tires are doing fine and I won't use anything else. The exception is that I think Hankook makes good tires and they have come out with a line of ST trailer tires. Hankook is a Korean company with plants in several countries and are an OEM supplier for Ford Trucks.

Charles
Old 03-19-2024, 10:56 PM   #19

Trailer: 2024 21NE F2
Carlisle tires on my new 2024 21NE F2.
Don Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 07:30 AM   #20

One thing that was pointed out was close inspection of your tires. When I have a few minutes at home or when camping, I inspect the tread over whatever area I can reach easily. I use an old ice pick to flick out rocks stuck in the tread. I don’t get them all each time because I don’t Jack the trailer up and spin the wheel but I get a few every time. Then when I rotate the tires I get everything of any size picked out.

When I was in high school and working with my dad in the filling station, I fixed tires every night. Sometimes only one or two, sometimes six or seven including split rim jobs that would kill you if you weren’t careful. We kept the things that made the tire go flat as we dug or pulled them out of the tread.
Wires, screws and nails were the primary culprits. Bolts, rocks and small pieces of steel filled in the remainder.

Strangest offender that happened to me twice. A tooth from the skull of a road kill fox or raccoon was dug out of the tread with my trusty ice pick. We saved each offender till the customer picked up the tire. Then we put them in a big pickled egg jar my dad got from the Friendly tavern, his favorite haunt when not working. We had two of those big jars, full, when I went off to college and my brothers took over.

Things are different now. Tires last muck longer, there are very few people with tubes in tires, and you can’t get a tire fixed on about any random street intersection at your standard oil station for a buck fifty by a sixteen year old kid bound for a life of maintenance.
Iowa Dave