The Hunt for BLM in So CO - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2021, 08:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The Hunt for BLM in So CO

After E-19 in the yard for one year 8 months the lock-down was finally too much. Had to find an excuse to break out. Another field test of RM 8551 was warranted. Had to grant it a last minute reprieve from Norcold, or Furrion. New solar panel on the roof needed field testing. Even though can’t do the Colorado Fiberglass Rally next week I needed to hunt for and find BLM land camping in the area, just in case. Trailer tires needed to be rounded, new insulated curtain must be tested, and – well that was enough for me.

Thursday I took off for central southern Colorado, almost 4 hours from home. Got permission for this nice short solo trip, perfect for a systems field test and, maybe even finding some wildlife to photograph. Plan was to also scope out that Mogote campground of Route 17 in the Rio Grande National Forest.

Results? The 3-way fridge, set to propane, had failed again, pilot light went out sometime on the drive up. Red light flashing, 56°F (bummer) in there. Not surprised. BUT WAIT – at the campground I decided to reset it again to propane and - it fired up! Was at 9,000 feet elevation. RM8551 stayed on for the rest of the trip, showing 34° when I got home. (Wow) Kept the butter and the chocolate milk and the Sabretts cold. Heater worked great, 190 watts of soar on roof kept the battery happy. Did not test the plumbing. Stovetop, good. Generator good. Insulated curtain kept my head warm. My tow averaged 16 mpg towing, which is awesome.

Oh the other stuff? The Mogote campground is looking great, and was surprisingly empty but got assurances it would be packed for the rally next week. In my search for BLM camping I took dirt road FS250 and ran across an excellent campground run by the Forest Service called Spectacle Lake. It is on the road along a beautiful valley to Platoro. Water but no hookups, $11/night with the senior pass. Also empty. Saw an Escape 19 parked at the Rainbow Trout Outfitters, off FS250 and the Conejos River.

Bought a Forest Service map, $24bucks! That showed BLM land but never could find the dirt roads leading into it. Was told the locals always take down the signs. Got lucky and shot one chipmunk but then got really lucky and there was a complete mountain goat family crossing the road in front of me. Made my day.

I cannot pass up a mention of two things that were unexpected. FS101 is a long, fun drive but then it turns into a road rated ‘not suitable for motor vehicles.’ Had to turn back. Didn’t want to chance knocking off my running boards. The other thing is the wonderful Combres Toltec & Scenic Railroad attraction in nearby Antonito.
Attached Thumbnails
SpectacleLK2.jpg   SpectacleLake.jpg   MtGoats.jpg   Steam.jpg  
Old 08-23-2021, 04:00 PM   #2

Ooops - not mountain goat family. Obviously that's a Bighorn sheep family. And this is a chipmonkski.
Attached Thumbnails
chipmunk.jpg  
Old 08-23-2021, 04:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
Thanks for sharing.. looks like a fun outing and some nice scenery. Was it smoky? We finally have clear skies after many weeks of haze. It's nice to see the mountains again in the distance.
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:38 PM   #4

Really was nice to get out there. Not smoky, no real indicators of the distant forest fires.
Attached Thumbnails
FR101.2.jpg   FR250.jpg  
Old 08-23-2021, 11:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 E19
I was wondering what in the heck was going on in S. Co. from the title of this thread...................

7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:50 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Here’s my go-to for boondocking in the southern 48. Great folks run it, but a lifetime membership for little to clear at the ads and support a great service.

freecampsites.net

The green markers show free campsites in this southern Colorado screen shot click on one to get reviews.
Jonathan
Attached Thumbnails
FCF87DC6-FF0A-4441-8D47-2FD04041460B.jpg  
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 10:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 E19
Great pics, makes me want to retire yesterday (still a few years to go though). I'm surprised (but happy for you) that you managed to get 1/2 off with senior pass in a NF CG; I thought the 1/2 off was just in COE CGs. Does it work in all, most, or just some NF CGs?
Old 08-25-2021, 06:23 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
1/2 off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Great pics, makes me want to retire yesterday (still a few years to go though). I'm surprised (but happy for you) that you managed to get 1/2 off with senior pass in a NF CG; I thought the 1/2 off was just in COE CGs. Does it work in all, most, or just some NF CGs?
It’s been my experience that 1/2 off camping is on all Nationally owned campsites. However, on Forest service facilities it is 1/2 off on the base price but if the site is improved and there is a tiered fee structure like for electric, the discount only applies on the base and the added “benefits” are at the full price. And it does not include the cost of reservations. Still the best deal going as far as we are concerned.

A few years ago we went to the ETI rally. We stayed almost exclusively in federal facilities all the way out and back. We added up the amount saved on that trip and it was $154. That included free admissions to Glacier, a couple BLM managed areas, Forest service areas, COE areas etc.

That’s been our experience YMMV.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-25-2021, 07:52 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
It’s been my experience that 1/2 off camping is on all Nationally owned campsites. However, on Forest service facilities it is 1/2 off on the base price but if the site is improved and their is a tiered fee structure like for electric, the discount only applies on the base and the added “benefits” are at the full price. And it does not include the cost of reservations. Still the best deal going as far as we are concerned.

A few years ago we went to the ETI rally. We stayed almost exclusively in federal facilities all the way out and back. We added up the amount saved on that trip and it was $154. That included free admissions to Glacier, a couple BLM managed areas, Forest service areas, COE areas etc.

That’s been our experience YMMV.
Iowa Dave
and here I thought I was a good numbers person, you got me beat .......
Old 08-25-2021, 09:10 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hey Jim
Hope you’re doing well. I love numbers and spend a little time keeping up on statistical data each day. My latest interest is kWh production out of the solar array. Up till today we were averaging 54.7 kWh per day for the month of August. The senior pass has been good for us ever since we got ours in the summer of 2012 at the Badlands. Rita and I both have one and in fact before the price went up, Rita bought a second In case hers became lost. I did not spend the money for a second one. I have carried my original social security card in my wallet for 59 years despite admonition from the Social Security lady when I pulled it out when signing up for benefits a few years back.

When the young clerks at the grocery store ask me for ID so I can buy beer, I haul out my Selective Service card. If they won’t accept it I tell them to get a supervisor. When they ask for my Drivers License I tell them I lost it in a drunk driving rap. Then I get my beer. I think I hear “Ornrey old b…..ed” as I leave the store sometimes.

We keep fairly close track of travel expenses on vacation, always have. Strange to look at records from 1971 when gas, food, camping and lodging were a lot less money. Have a great rest of the week.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-25-2021, 10:01 AM   #11

I know its absurd but my current goal in camping is to do it as cheaply and often as humanly possible. Where are you, BLM? Not that I don't have the money, no, it's because I'm old enough to not give a bleep if some 50-year old whippersnapper thinks I'm a cheap bastardo. I actually overpaid for this campsite, thinking it costs $13/night with my senior pass. The nice camp host brought my deposit-on-your-honor envelope back to me and handed me 3 bucks back. Actually, she looked older than me.
Attached Thumbnails
SpectacleLakeFS.jpg  
Old 08-25-2021, 10:34 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Being Escapeless at present, I'm camping vicariously through your photos and others here on the forum, thanks for the memories to make......
Old 08-25-2021, 09:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I know its absurd but my current goal in camping is to do it as cheaply and often as humanly possible. Where are you, BLM? Not that I don't have the money, no, it's because I'm old enough to not give a bleep if some 50-year old whippersnapper thinks I'm a cheap bastardo. I actually overpaid for this campsite, thinking it costs $13/night with my senior pass. The nice camp host brought my deposit-on-your-honor envelope back to me and handed me 3 bucks back. Actually, she looked older than me.
Nice site! Ahhh. I can almost smell the evergreens and hear the wind in the needles. Thanks for making a 'spectacle' of your campsite for us. It looks spectac-ular.