Trailer insurance info - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2022, 09:44 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Trailer insurance info

For decades I've been paying for insurance on my trailers. Recently, an insurance rep said it's covered by my auto policy when attached to the tow, and covered by my homeowners when stored indoors. Only risky point would be when camped unhooked from the tow. Checked with Progressive and they agreed. Oregon doesn't require insurance for a non-motorized vehicle.

One could get liability only I suppose in the event the unhooked trailer takes off downhill somehow..........

Only benefit of insurance seems like trailer problems like leaky roof, floor rot, etc. Or am I wrong?

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 10:50 PM   #2
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
For decades I've been paying for insurance on my trailers. Recently, an insurance rep said it's covered by my auto policy when attached to the tow, and covered by my homeowners when stored indoors. Only risky point would be when camped unhooked from the tow. Checked with Progressive and they agreed. Oregon doesn't require insurance for a non-motorized vehicle.

One could get liability only I suppose in the event the unhooked trailer takes off downhill somehow..........

Only benefit of insurance seems like trailer problems like leaky roof, floor rot, etc. Or am I wrong?
We have Progressive insurance on our E19, primarily for theft and loss of value if damaged under tow. As I understand, our truck insurance covers liability if the trailer causes an accident, but not loss of value of the trailer. Likewise, I do not insure our utility trailer; low value (under theft or loss of value situation) and liability is covered by the truck.

Correct me (and save me money!) if I am wrong.
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 12:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
FWIW my State Farm Texas auto policy covers trailer-related liability when towing the trailer but does not cover damage to the trailer at any time, whether that be damage caused by an uninsured motorist striking the trailer, damage caused when a tire fails and flogs the wheel-well, a tree limb falling on it towing or sitting in a campground, hail damage, vandalism, damage caused by my own negligence, etc.

Thus I choose to have "comprehensive" coverage on the trailer for those situations.

Liability exposure when not towing (e.g. someone trips and is injured stepping into my trailer, etc) is covered by my umbrella liability policy.

Every policy may differ (even from state-to-state by the same named surety) and everyone's financial exposure and risk-tolerance differs. IMO what matters is the specific terms in your policy (or the policies you are offered when shopping) and your own risk tolerance.

Remember, insurance agents have no fiduciary duty to act exclusively in your own best interest, they in fact have a substantial duty to act in the interest of the surety they represent. It's your duty to read and comprehend the complete terms of your policy yourself. Take particular care if you have potential overlaps between trailer and other policies issued by different sureties (resolving competing subrogation arguments when claims are made can be a real pain-in-the .....)

Just for your consideration.
Old 11-12-2022, 07:00 AM   #4

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Our car and home insurance covers our camper when we're driving or have it parked at our property at home. It does not cover our camper when unhooked at a campground, our rented seasonal site, or when stored in a storage lot.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-12-2022, 07:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 17B; 2011 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab
My AAA trailer insurance (added to my auto policies) covers damage to trailer whether attached or unattached to tow vehicle. Also covers towing of trailer AND tow vehicle, regardless of which is the “injured” party. Seems worth the extra bit of premium I pay. Just in case….
Old 11-13-2022, 08:23 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It is interesting how insurance can vary, state by state.....
Old 11-13-2022, 09:44 AM   #7

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimie View Post
My AAA trailer insurance (added to my auto policies) covers damage to trailer whether attached or unattached to tow vehicle. Also covers towing of trailer AND tow vehicle, regardless of which is the “injured” party. Seems worth the extra bit of premium I pay. Just in case….

Since our American Family auto/home policy does not cover when unhooked away from our home, we also added their trailer insurance at a minimal cost.

Enjoy,

Perry