Unbelievably Annoying Advertising - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2024, 10:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 escape 19' with 2012 Chevy 1500
Unbelievably Annoying Advertising

I don't really post much but like to check in on everything Escape every once in a while and I can't believe how terrible the advertising on this forum is now . What has happened!!!
j3cub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 11:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 E19
There was another thread on this topic recently. The conclusion of most was that it's necessary to adjust one's browser privacy settings. I don't get any annoying ads at all, the way I have Firefox settings configured.
Old 01-08-2024, 07:06 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Casita
I assume you mean popup ads. The only ad I occasionally see is the request for a speed check, and rarely see it. Firefox browser..
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 07:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
I use Chrome for my browser and get no ads. I do use the free AdBlocker Plus app though, on my computer and on my phone.
Old 01-08-2024, 09:22 AM   #5

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
A few months ago something change and the ads got bad here. I added an ad blocker to my iPad and it’s back to the way it was before the ads got bad.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 09:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
For me, usually on an older iPad with Safari, quite awhile ago, the ad thing got so annoying that I either had to find a solution or drop the forum. I got an ad blocker, and that seems to work. I really like the forum, but the frustration got too high to make it usable.

Some sites won’t allow ad blockers. So far, I’ve not found one I want to use enough to turn it off. I simply go elsewhere for the information I want.

Under a similar theme, I dropped Facebook in spite of losing some connections I care about. So I miss everything on the Escape Facebook group, and many posts there, do not cross over to here.

I don’t use ETI’s forum at all if it even still exists.

You have to decide value vs costs. Forum owners have to decide value versus readership. It’s a balance on both sides.
Old 01-08-2024, 10:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
We use Opera browser which includes an ad blocker and works great. I doesn't work on some sites because of some compatibility issues but then I use microsoft for that.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 10:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
FYI here's the link to a 2023 thread about annoying ads on this forum with many suggestions for avoiding the irritation

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...-ad-24812.html

More often than not it seems the 'solution' lies in settings specific to the user's particular platform / browser.
Old 01-08-2024, 11:20 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post

So I miss everything on the Escape Facebook group, and many posts there, do not cross over to here.
I'm only an observer on the Facebook group, never a poster.

I've also noticed that there's not a lot of cross over between the two sites. One thing that I do notice is when a person asks a technical question there doesn't seem to be the same depth of response that there is on this forum. Kind of frustrating not to be able to answer or say "go to the Escape Forum" but I'd rather stay an observer.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 12:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Ron, my guess would be that there are two reasons for that.

1, The facebook group has a lot fewer "long timers" than this forum, meaning the "experienced Escape helping base" is much smaller.

2, The facebook group has a lot of new people who are not members of both facebook and this forum.

Also, I notice that many (NOT ALL) more recent questioners on the facebook group are new to rv-ing in general, that is, inexperienced, and those same folks don't generally seem to seek answers elsewhere. They exclude from their resources this group, other rv groups, google, and their instruction manuals. I think they mistakenly assume that the fb group is some sort of "official" resource instead of a general group of owners.

That said, there ARE many helpful Escape owners on the fb group. I want to mention in particular Tom Warfield who answers a lot of questions patiently. Not to slight other helpful folks in the least.
Old 01-08-2024, 02:32 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 escape 19' with 2012 Chevy 1500
I braved the adds and read all of your very helpful responses. Like always thanks so much for many easy solutions to this and all other things Escape, Peter.
j3cub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 09:08 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Safari on older Mac OS (10.14.6) works with AdBlock to keep popups out on this site.

Re Facebook Escape page: I do recommend this Forum from time to time.
Old 01-08-2024, 09:25 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
Another Safari user here (v16.3) and no ads pop up.
Old 01-09-2024, 09:17 AM   #14

Trailer: N/A
Recent iPhone, using Safari. I solved the ad problem (on all websites and most apps) using a VPN with ad blocker function. I thought leaving the VPN on all the time would use up battery but it is not the case: it is operating mostly in background. I am Canadian, so set the VPN to Canada.
claude6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 08:17 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17B / 2021Toyota 4Runner
I’m using Safari on Mac and iPhone (with no special settings) and I’ve never seen a popup ad as long as I log in. Ads do appear if I don’t log in.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote