What tire wears most? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2020, 10:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
What tire wears most?

OK, finished my under the tongue spare tire holder. Time to put the spare there permanently.

My trailer spare is brand new, never used, and the other tires have quite a few miles on them so it makes sense to rotate the new tire onto the trailer and use the most worn one as the spare.

It's been rainy and wet and I haven't yet measured tread depth to see if any one tire is more worn than the others.

So I'm thinking, and that's always my downfall , that there might be a pattern to which tire wears the most.

I'm thinking that when you turn right at intersections the turn radius is much less than that when making left turns. Therefore maybe the passenger side tires scuff and wear more.

I'm also thinking that the front PS tire might follow the truck more and the rear scuff the most.

So I'm predicting that my rear PS side tire is going to show the most wear. Or maybe the higher number of highway miles completely obliterates the relatively small amount of wear due to driving in city traffic.

Anyone seen any evidence to support this theory?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
OK, finished my under the tongue spare tire holder. Time to put the spare there permanently.

My trailer spare is brand new, never used, and the other tires have quite a few miles on them so it makes sense to rotate the new tire onto the trailer and use the most worn one as the spare.

It's been rainy and wet and I haven't yet measured tread depth to see if any one tire is more worn than the others.

So I'm thinking, and that's always my downfall , that there might be a pattern to which tire wears the most.

I'm thinking that when you turn right at intersections the turn radius is much less than that when making left turns. Therefore maybe the passenger side tires scuff and wear more.

I'm also thinking that the front PS tire might follow the truck more and the rear scuff the most.

So I'm predicting that my rear PS side tire is going to show the most wear. Or maybe the higher number of highway miles completely obliterates the relatively small amount of wear due to driving in city traffic.

Anyone seen any evidence to support this theory?

Ron
If your theory is correct, how will you act on it? (or not). Rotate more often, maybe?
Old 11-20-2020, 12:42 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
i've never worn a trailer tire out, they've always aged out before they wear out.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:52 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I replaced mine at about 30k, they all looked evenly worn. I had rotated them once during that period.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
i've never worn a trailer tire out, they've always aged out before they wear out.
Aren't you retired? You need to travel more!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 02:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

I doubt there are many people who actually wear trailer tires out. I doubt there is much use in trying to rotate them.

You really should be replacing tires every 5-ish years, and it's pretty hard to wear out a trailer tire that fast.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Starboard (passenger side) was mine

This Fall I was about to leave after visiting friends and did my walk around. I noticed I had a flat forward tire, door side. When removing, I noticed a lot of wear on the outer edge of the tire. The others probably have 15K on them and looked normal. I don't know if this is an axle misdalignment or extra wear from turns.
I didn't bother with patching that tire and simply replaced it with another Carlisle.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 E21C
On our last trailer (a '98 A/S Safari), I was always careful to check tire pressures and tread but the trailer design (Airstream wheel wells are low and cover the top 25% of the wheels) makes it hard to see the insides of the tires. My daughter and I had taken a trip to the Oregon coast and I noticed something weird on the inside of one of the tires as I was setting up the trailer to camp. Turned out that we likely had a bent axle (maybe both axles) and the very insides of two of the tires had worn all the way down to the steel cords while the outsides of the tires looked almost new. What I had noticed was the steel cords starting to unravel on the insides of the tires. Fortunately, we were in the campground, if I'd towed another 50 to 100 miles, we would likely have had a catastrophic tire failure or two. Anyway, my point is that seriously uneven tire wear can mean you have axle alignment issues and that uneven wear sometimes can get overlooked unless you are careful to check tires all the way across the tread, edge to edge. Our Escape is in the build process so I don't know what it is like checking tires, but it looks a lot easier than on an Airstream due to the wheel well design. Good luck, and may your wear be even!
glsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Your theory will be correct Ron depending on how many very sharp turns you have had to make. As for front or back...since the front tire has the extra weight to tow correctly it should as you say be planted and the rear slides on the pavement. However the extra weight on the front tire might mean it has the power to shave off the most rubber as the other 3 grip the road latterly.

Not on our Escape, but on the cargo trailer the 4 bias ply tires would show high wear after very few miles. Replaced them once with bias ply again and they went just as fast. Said nuts to that and bought some radial tires and all has been good.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
What tire wears most?

Hi: Ron in BC... I'm sad to say It's the spare tire around my middle!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:10 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I replaced mine at 35,000 miles because they were 5 years old and I wanted fresh rubber. I never rotated the originals and as Bob previously stated, they were all evenly worn, but with plenty of tread left.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Alas, I was wrong, and not for the first time I might add. Shocking but true.

Turns out the driver's side rear had a measurable difference less tread than the other 3. So much for my theory. So it's my "new" spare tire.

Overall I'm not impressed with the tread depth right from the start. Seems like a different brand of tire than my 19 had and less tread to start with. Might be wrong.

Can't help but notice my truck's LT tires, at 25,000 miles, have at least a third more tread depth than the unused spare had. I'm thinking that I'll go with LT tires, I was going to say in the next year or two, but given the current situation maybe they'll just age out in place.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Next time you are out and about with your trailer, check that drum temperature to see if it is hotter than the rest. Maybe the brakes are making that tire work harder than the rest.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote