Which 21NE Floor plan? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2022, 05:29 AM   #1

Trailer: 2023 E21NE
Which 21NE Floor plan?

We have a 19 on order and now with about 250 builds in front of us are considering switching to a 21NE. Although it is just two of us, I think we would really like the larger dinette for being able to stretch out. Anyway, in looking at the two floorpans for the 21NE, the dinette and the bed area are the same exact size, So having the double dinettes floor plan, the bed at the front would also be a full size queen. Even though I don’t like the bed at the front as much as at the rear, I can see that the issue of climbing over would be easier. The front bed is not boxed in as much and I think the person on the inside could scootch down to climb over the other’s legs rather than over their body. Can anyone with this layout confirm this? Also, would Escape be willing to make the front a permanent bed instead of a dinette -ie, flip the floorplan?
VTMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 08:15 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Your salesperson at Escape should have your answers. Your avatar shows 2021 5th wheel yet you mention ordering a E19? Seems confusing...
Old 08-14-2022, 11:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTMurphy View Post
Anyway, in looking at the two floorpans for the 21NE,

Even though I don’t like the bed at the front as much as at the rear, I can see that the issue of climbing over would be easier. The front bed is not boxed in as much and I think the person on the inside could scootch down to climb over the other’s legs rather than over their body.
I wouldn't say two floorplans for the 21NE. There is only one floor plan that can be utilized in different ways.

This whole discussion of climb over vrs. scootch down has been going on for years. I've done both for years. There's no free lunch either way. I'd say the major factor is the age and agility of the users. There's no one size fits all here, it varies from user to user.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 2023 E21NE
Not sure what anyone's definition of a floor plan is, but Escape has them described as two different floor plans on their web site. One with a permanent bed in the back (F1) and one with two dinettes, no permanent bed (F2).

Anyone with a 21NE-which floor plan did you chose and what
was the deciding factor for you?
VTMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 09:46 AM   #5

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I've been inside a 21NE with the two dinettes. I feels huge inside.

Outside of the climb over issues I think it would be great to have a larger permanent
bed in the front with enclosed storage below and a dinette in the back.

Basically a flipped of F1. But again the twin dinettes feels huge inside.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 09:47 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 21NE
We didn't have a choice in 2021 and got the bed in the rear. Yes, it is a crawl over situation, but I sleep on the outside so I don't have to crawl over my husband who is not prone to getting up at night like I am. We like the arrangement as the A/C keeps us cooler back there when we need to use it at night, which was often this summer. Also, we don't particularly care to have our bedroom be the first thing one sees upon entering the trailer. We have more than enough storage and opted to eliminate the cooktop and have a large counter area for prep and appliances.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 10:04 AM   #7

Trailer: SOLD - 2022 Escape 21NE
Our 21NE has the fixed bed in the rear. We bought it used, but most likely would have ordered the fixed bed layout anyway.

I prefer not to have to break down the dinette in order to sleep, and I like having the (larger) storage area under the bed.

We're both in our mid-60's and thus far having one person crawl over the other to get to the bathroom has not been a huge problem.

And there's always the option of one person sleeping on the dinette...
Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh View Post

I prefer not to have to break down the dinette in order to sleep, and I like having the (larger) storage area under the bed.

And there's always the option of one person sleeping on the dinette...
Yes, I can't think of anything that gets older faster than having to change the table into a bed every night.

Our first evolution on the boating scene was having a boat with a dedicated bed and a dedicated table. After that our needs got a little more pricey.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 02:58 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
We much prefer the front bed of the 21C even though its 6" narrower, because there is no 'climb over', I can scooch down the side of the bed easily for 2am pitstops. The "C's bed is a Full XL, so we use a Full XL mattress cover and fitted sheet, and a queen comforter and duvet cover on top, and its perfect for the two of us.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 11:00 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I have the 21NE with permanent bed in the rear. I have 2 dinette benches, not the U shaped dinette up front. It works for me but I would not say it is best for others. I wish the bed was smaller and the kitchen and storage was larger but I do like the larger storage under the large bed. I did reduce the driver side dinette bench by 12" for a stack of drawers. All my electronics are under the driver side bench.

If you can still order the trailer with 2 temporary beds/dinettes then leave one set up as a bed and if you find you are in a camping spot where you wish the dinette was at the other end because of view then you could switch the bed and dinette. Personally, I would rather have the permanent bed and a better mattress than the standard 8" mattress that comes with the trailer.

I think that no matter what you do, you will learn to live with it and sometimes think the other layout would have been better. There are tradeoffs and 2 important ones for me are to maximize storage and have a permanent bed. I have 2 large slide out boxes under the bed and added an exterior hatch for access to a storage area in the back of the driver's side where I store sewer connect fittings, water hoses, shore power cord, etc. I ordered the trailer with an exterior shower on the driver's side thinking it would be up by the shower. Not so. It is in the back so I removed it to make room for the storage area for utility connect stuff.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 03:21 AM   #11

Trailer: 2022 21NE
We've got the 21NE with rear permanent bed but we were very close to ordering the 2 dinette version for more overall room (for our two toddlers and dogs). I can say we are glad we went with the permanent bed. The dinette cushions are not suitable for adults to sleep on. Very very hard. So if you go with the double dinette version you're going to need to plan on bringing a bed roll or memory foam topper. These are large and take up a lot of space if you want a queen size topper with both dinettes up during the day. I suppose you could leave the dinette down permanently with the memory foam topper on it though.

As someone mentioned earlier there is no free lunch with these trailers and you're dealing with either scooching or crawling over. My suggestion is to go with the tried and true standard layout and if the crawl over is becoming a problem then bring a twin size bed roll or memory foam topper and one of you sleeps on dinette side. That's what my wife and I have been doing because it's easier with our kids since they're so young and wife worries about our 1 yr old falling out of bed. And also my wife feels the mattress is a bit too soft so she prefers the twin bed roll we bring.

As for escape putting in a permanent bed in front I don't believe that's an option. Something about the mattress not fitting? I might be confusing that with the front dinette not being able to be a bench dinette though. Ask escape to speak to a salesperson. Don't wait on big decisions like this.

Definitely go with the 21NE though. It's the goldilocks size trailer where it's still small enough to get into the vast majority of campsites. It tows like a dream and I can't imagine how going with a smaller trailer would tow any easier (unless you tow with a smaller tow vehicle).
It's wide enough to stretch out when sleeping. The isle is wide enough to walk around spouse comfortably. The dinette with lagoon swivel table is incredibly versatile and large enough to really feel like the relaxing hub for the trailer. You can easily pop the table out too and turn it into a lounge.
MichaelS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 02:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
VTMurphy, We have a 2021 21NE with dual dinettes and really like it. It was a custom when it was built in April 2021. Sherminator I believe was the first to get ETI to build this configuration and we are glad we followed suit.

We ordered dual dinettes to have the Flexibility to choose to have the bed in front or back. It's not permanant and easy to change where we make up the bed. We use a 2" topper over the cushions to get the same comfort as a mattress. It's been just the two of us so we have always left the bed made up for the trip at one end or the other, but almost always we choose to have the bed in front. For us we like the bed in front for these reasons: 1) you can't beat the views from the rear dinette!!! 2) easier crawl over & access to the bed for making it 3) front bed is further away from the AC so less noticeable noise level for sleeping

We use the open area under the front dinette/bed for storing clothes & shoes. We have two light weight trunk organizers that sit on the floor under the bed that utilize the space effectively and are give eash access to clothes and have a pouch on the front for shoes, or easily fold up and store compactly when not in use.

We went with the straight dinette in back. I cut the rear dinette table top Escape provided into 3 equal sections. The smaller sections won't break your back and if we ever needed a 2nd queen size bed we would need these to make the bed. We don't have a installed table top, we prefer it more open, some call it a louge style. We have a nice size TV that goes below the window against the back wall when we are camped and we lay on the bed when on the road. If we wanted a fixed table or U-Shaped dinette it would be easy to add later, but they have +/-'s so for now no plans to do so.

If we were ordering a new trailer today we would do it exactly the same.
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 07:08 PM   #13

Trailer: None
21 NE with two dinettes

We don't have our trailer yet - should be sometime in September! - but we chose the 21NE with two dinettes because we are an older couple (76 and 64) and we both need to get up in the night. We ordered filler boards with cushions for both ends and are thinking of making a single bed at each end with a free-standing table in the remaining space. This way the beds can remain set up, my husband can still work on his computer at one end, and we can eat at the other end. If the grandkids come with us, we'll be able to set up the two queen beds. We eat and cook outside with our current little trailer and expect to continue that in the Escape. We shall see!
Linlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 05:03 AM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
We are 50 years old. The climb over in the middle of the night is starting to suck. To solve the problem I have been thinking about a front bed 21NE. It is difficult getting around the counter. I have also thinking about sleeping seperatly on the dinette in our 19. So I am undecided.