Bedliner Options for f150 (5.0TA Anderson Hitch) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2023, 07:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0
Bedliner Options for f150 (5.0TA Anderson Hitch)

Hey all,

I bought a new f150 that I will use to tow my 5.0TA with an Anderson hitch. I'm debating whether to use a rubber bed rug and leave the sides bare or have the bed sprayed with a LineX Premium type product. It will mainly be a tow vehicle with a little cargo in the bed, but it's also a truck so there will be some trips to the dump, yard waste, etc. Any input/experiences you want to share would be much appreciated.
jdoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 07:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Hi, jdoe99. We have a 21C so we can’t address anything to do with the bed-mounted hitch for your 5.0, but we did opt for the Line-X Premium sprayed bed liner for our F-150. We’re very happy with it. Provides a tough layer of protection. It is pricier than a rubber mat, but eliminates any worry of the bed getting banged up.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 08:46 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Andersen hitch can be used over the spray on liner , per their web site.

I read that because the hitch sits on the floor of the bed a slip in or mate has to be cut out where the hitch sits.

I think you would have to remove or roll the mate out of the way of the hitch.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 08:53 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Having an Andersen hitch as well, I am going for the LineX spray on liner. It's the cleanest option and approved by Andersen.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 09:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Both my 2005 F150 and my 2022 F150 are equipped the same:
  • Line-X standard spray in bedliner installed shortly after truck purchase
  • B&W Turnoverball underbed gooseneck hitch
  • Andersen Ultimate gooseneck hitch bearing directly on the Line-X
Yep, the ~18 years old Line-X in the 2005 has faded a bit from black to uniform charcoal gray, but after all those years of abuse as a working truck on rural property hauling everything imaginable from mesquite logs and brush to heavy appliances slid across the bed it is without any deep scratches or damage.

No mat used under the Andersen with either, it stays-put, no movement or issues whatsoever.

Years ago I used a bed mat in a previous F150; water and dust / mud / debris collected under it and it was heavy as heck to remove / clean underneath and the bed still got minor paint scratches. I'm happier with the Line-X, YMMV.

Note that the standard Line-X has the same underlying lifetime warranty as the glossy-finish premium versions.

The pic with the toolbox is the 2005 snapped a year or so ago, a bit of dust from my rural road accumulated in the low spots and some residual rainwater at one corner of the hitch (not a permanent stain, there's none of that in spite of gasoline, oil, and diesel spills over the years); the side view with the in-bed socket circled in red is a recent shot of the 2022.

Just sharing my personal experience FWIW.
Attached Thumbnails
toolbox.jpg   TRUCK 06 - BEDISDE 7-12 PIN SOCKET 02.jpg  
Old 05-02-2023, 11:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Gee whiz. Looks like Centex outshined my feeble post by a long shot. I’ll show myself out now. Haha.

(This board really has some great people. So glad to have it as a resource for our Escape.)
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 07:03 AM   #7

Trailer: 2022 5.0TA
I have a turnover ball, a Line-X coating, and a rubber bed mat under the Anderson hitch. The Line-X was installed when truck was new and I already had a bed mat (3rd truck bed for it).

The truck is frequently used for hauling so the hitch is only in when getting ready for a trip. I cut a partial circle in the rubber mat 3/4 around where the ball comes through. So there’s a chunk of rubber creating a flap that I flip up when ball is up and flip down flat to cover from debris.

All works great.

-RobF
MD-Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 07:21 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I have a ‘98 I planed to linex when it got messed up enough. It’s scratched, but not rusting through, so it has a bed mat and it’s just stayed that way. I have a ‘21 that came linex, and it seems good too. So, I’d say whatever works for you.
Old 05-03-2023, 07:50 AM   #9

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Over the years I've had a drop-in bed liner, numerous mats, Line-X, and now Ford's version of Line-X. I'll never get another drop-in, the mats are nice, but the spray-in bed liners just always work.

We chose the Andersen rail hitch because the gooseneck ball version took up too much room on the floor and we wouldn't be able to carry a trike in back. Because the rails only sit 3/4 inch off the floor I've had no problems carrying sheetrock or plywood, and always use a tarp on the floor when carrying rock, wood chips, or other bedding. The tarp makes cleanup so simple.

Food for thought,

Perry
Old 05-03-2023, 09:01 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0
I'm retiring my bed-matted 2003 Silverado 2500 that has been an absolute workhorse over the years. In the new truck, I weigh leaving the bed exposed (bed mat) and repairing some scratches and possibly small dents 10 years down the road or protecting with LineX which will eventually fade and show it's age. First world problems LOL. Again, appreciation on the responses. BTW, one year of Escape ownership and my wife and I are excited to start our 2023 camping season with the Osoyoos Rally this month!
jdoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote