RVLock latch releases when traveling - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2023, 04:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 19'
RVLock latch releases when traveling

About a month ago we purchased a Compact RVLock Keyless Entry handle for our 2020 Escape 19 to replace the failed OEM door handle.

Two days ago the RVLock latch would release when traveling. Thankfully the deadbolt held the door closed.

Looking at the latch and strike plate, it looks like the latch doesn't fully extend into the door frame cutout beyond the strike plate before it hits the the backing material. Attached is a picture showing the door frame cutout with the strike plate removed. The latch is hitting the marred area on the left of the cutout.

The deadbolt does not extend as far out as the latch, so the deadbolt is working correctly. Also attached is a picture showing that the latch extends further than the deadbolt.

I'm considering using a dremel tool to cut out some of the frame material that is keeping the latch from fully extending into the strike plate.

Questions:
1) Has anybody else had a similar experience, and how did you solve it?

2) Does it sound risky to remove a small amount of the door frame backing to allow the latch to extend?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
20230503_142544-b.jpg   20230503_143106-b.jpg  
mistertinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 04:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Yes!
For some reason they did not remove the part of the shell to allow the lock to engage properly in our 2018.

When installing our new lock a few days ago I realized the lock was only seated by about 50%. In the first picture you can see how the original lock was marking up the white tape they used. I guess to fix the problem they used black tape…

Anyway I removed the tape and had to cut the body to allow the lock to work correctly. In the third picture you can see I upgraded the screws as well so they attach to the trailer and not just the frame.

If your knob is in this position in the forth picture you might have problems. It should look like in the last picture.

I am sure there are 1,000s of Escapes out there with the doors just ready to pop open.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5753.jpg   IMG_5754.jpg   IMG_5697.jpg   IMG_5757.jpg   IMG_5758.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 05:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: mistertinkle... Why is there only one screw hole visible for the latch plate? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 05:04 PM   #4
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistertinkle View Post
About a month ago we purchased a Compact RVLock Keyless Entry handle for our 2020 Escape 19 to replace the failed OEM door handle.

Two days ago the RVLock latch would release when traveling. Thankfully the deadbolt held the door closed.

Looking at the latch and strike plate, it looks like the latch doesn't fully extend into the door frame cutout beyond the strike plate before it hits the the backing material. Attached is a picture showing the door frame cutout with the strike plate removed. The latch is hitting the marred area on the left of the cutout.

The deadbolt does not extend as far out as the latch, so the deadbolt is working correctly. Also attached is a picture showing that the latch extends further than the deadbolt.

I'm considering using a dremel tool to cut out some of the frame material that is keeping the latch from fully extending into the strike plate.

Questions:
1) Has anybody else had a similar experience, and how did you solve it?

2) Does it sound risky to remove a small amount of the door frame backing to allow the latch to extend?

Thanks!
That happened to us with our 22 17 with an RV lock V4. We just always lock the door using the deadbolt. Anecdotally, I've heard others say that you should use the deadbolt on any lock when traveling because the door can come open.

Just curious, but what happened to the striker plate in photo #1, that's usually attached to the door frame? I would think you need that otherwise the door won't latch properly.
SRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 05:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We both have removed the striker plate so everyone can see the problem.
My striker plate could not be adjusted due to the extra material.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 05:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Yes!
For some reason they did not remove the part of the shell to allow the lock to engage properly in our 2018.

When installing our new lock a few days ago I realized the lock was only seated by about 50%. In the first picture you can see how the original lock was marking up the white tape they used. I guess to fix the problem they used black tape…

Anyway I removed the tape and had to cut the body to allow the lock to work correctly. In the third picture you can see I upgraded the screws as well so they attach to the trailer and not just the frame.

I am sure there are 1,000s of Escapes out there with the doors just ready to pop open.

Eggscape - THANKS! Great photos showing what you did. That looks exactly like my problem. I'll feel more confident removing some of the material in the frame cut out. Woo-Hoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: mistertinkle... Why is there only one screw hole visible for the latch plate? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

Escape Artist - It is just how the photo was edited and resized to meet the upload requirements. Yes, there are 2 screws that hold the strike plate on the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
That happened to us with our 22 17 with an RV lock V4. We just always lock the door using the deadbolt. Anecdotally, I've heard others say that you should use the deadbolt on any lock when traveling because the door can come open.

Just curious, but what happened to the striker plate in photo #1, that's usually attached to the door frame? I would think you need that otherwise the door won't latch properly.

SRS - I removed the strike plate to get a better photo. Yes, we always travel with the deadbolt set. It was just disconcerting to discover the door latch had released when we stopped for gas. The RVLock just started doing this on our return trip a couple days ago.
mistertinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 01:26 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I had to carefully adjust my installs on both trailers, and yes the deadbolt engaged is necessary for going down the road in my opinion. I had to adjust the strike plate a fair amount.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 07:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
We just always lock the door using the deadbolt. Anecdotally, I've heard others say that you should use the deadbolt on any lock when traveling because the door can come open.
Yes, you should always use the deadbolt (lock the RV Lock) when travelling.
TTMartin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 07:24 AM   #9

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Our problem was the latch was too long for the striker plate. The latch would hit the striker plate on the flat side, not the angled portion so it would not close properly.

When I removed the striker plate the door would close easily and perfectly. With the striker plate in place the door either had to be slammed or you had to open the handle to close the door.

I completely took the door latch hardware apart and removed 1/4-3/8" with a angle grinder, keeping the bevel at the same angle. Once the latch was the correct distance the door closed easily. However, we ALWAYS use the dead bolt to lock the door when driving down the road.

I found out later there is a 1/4" spacer plate inside the door that keeps the RV Lock at the correct distance from the striker plate on the original door. When you remove the old door handle mechanism this spacer plate will fall down into the door, causing the latch to extend too far past the striker plate. I'd see if you can find that spacer plate inside your door first. If you can't find that plate inside your door, you'll have to grind down the latch the thickness of that plate.

Worked for us,

Perry
Old 05-04-2023, 08:50 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I was lucky and the spacer did not fall down ( I was cognizant of it from Perry’s tip)
It fit fine
I still had to use my brass hammer a bit on the striker plate
It now works perfectly.
I use the deadbolt traveling for sure , the rv lock in the camp ground
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 09:28 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
I was lucky and the spacer did not fall down ( I was cognizant of it from Perry’s tip)
It fit fine
I still had to use my brass hammer a bit on the striker plate
It now works perfectly.
I use the deadbolt traveling for sure , the rv lock in the camp ground
The RV lock activates the deadbolt. The RV Lock does not lock the handle with the code.

However, locking the handle with the key is about as useful as leaving the stock luggage door lock on. Both use a common or master key.

The door handle has a key code on it (mine has an M). This key allows ALL RVs sold at dealerships to be opened with a handful of keys as long as they don't engage the deadbolt.
TTMartin is online now   Reply With Quote