Can a window be added to an older Escape trailer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2023, 09:55 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
MKcamping.
Good morning.
I copied Rons install of the 2 inch foam slabs underneath my 21 C.That was five years ago.Still holding, works good and looks good.Painted black before gluing them in.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:15 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Aliner Expedition (Escape 21C soon to be on order)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Bornestig View Post
MKcamping.
Good morning.
I copied Rons install of the 2 inch foam slabs underneath my 21 C.That was five years ago.Still holding, works good and looks good.Painted black before gluing them in.
Thanks Allan.

Without the spray insulation is the direction we're leaning towards if we are unable to find a suitable used 21C and end up ordering new. Seeing the recent posts about gray tank drain pipe connections cracking reinforce the decision.

Did you take any photos during your rigid foam installation?
MKcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 02:37 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKcamping View Post

Ron, on another option (spray foam insulation), I saw your rigid foam insulation posts I believe on your previous 19. Did you also do this for your 21C or did you get the factory spray insulation option?
I did the same to my 21 as the 19. It meets my needs to keep the floor area as warm as possible.

Spray foam has its' advantages but it's not for me.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 03:26 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
MKcamping.
Hi again.No I did not, It is measure twice and then cut, special foam glue from HomeDepot.Crawled under there in the middle of July.Used a little bit of sprayfoam to seal up some odd spaces.Painted before installing.This is my last trailer but if I was getting another trailer I would do it again.
Take care.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 07:20 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Aliner Expedition (Escape 21C soon to be on order)
Thanks Ron and Allan. I will be sure to go with the DYI rigid foam if given the choice. If an otherwise perfectly optioned used 21C is available but with spray foam I guess will live with it. Thanks again.

Marcel
MKcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 04:10 PM   #26

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21', Maple Interior, previous 2015 Escape 19'
Switching out windows

Can I switch out one of the frameless windows that I have in my 2019 21C with a sliding window. I am NOT fond of the frameless windows, since I cannot travel with them open. I have 2 cats that travel with me and would like to have a window I can crack open a bit to give air circulation. One sliding window would help.
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 01:28 AM   #27
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsmitty View Post
Can I switch out one of the frameless windows that I have in my 2019 21C with a sliding window. I am NOT fond of the frameless windows, since I cannot travel with them open. I have 2 cats that travel with me and would like to have a window I can crack open a bit to give air circulation. One sliding window would help.
BJsmitty, Another solution for greater air circulation (for your cats) during travel could be with your Maxxfan? I vaguely remember reading in our owner's manual that the Maxxfan can be in the fully open/locked or fully closed/locked position during travel. Since we have the same year and model Escape trailer, maybe your Maxxfan is the same as ours? Check your owner's manual...might save you at the hassle of switching out windows. Either way, jealous you can travel with your cats!

So far we are happy with our frameless windows but we think it's great that Escape is going to offer acrylic windows and perhaps even retrofit for them. A friend of ours has the acrylic windows on her (Lance) trailer. She likes them quite a bit but one year she discovered that tarps and acrylic windows are not a good match. She covered her trailer with a tarp during winter storage and by the end of winter, her acrylic windows were all scratched up. She had to get them all buffed out. Now they look like new again but she no longer covers her trailer with a tarp.

We love our front window in our 21C and grateful it has a nice rock guard. If ETI starts adding acrylic windows, especially to the front side, I would ask if they could add some sort of rock guard or cover of some sort, to the front acrylic window. On our trip to Alaska last year, we noticed lots of RVs trying to cover up their front RV windows..especially in the Yukon. Some (especially the Airstreams) got really creative with lots of cardboard and bubble wrap. We probably would've done the same but was glad not have that problem! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:26 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post

She likes them quite a bit but one year she discovered that tarps and acrylic windows are not a good match. She covered her trailer with a tarp during winter storage and by the end of winter, her acrylic windows were all scratched up. She had to get them all buffed out. Now they look like new again but she no longer covers her trailer with a tarp.

I would ask if they could add some sort of rock guard or cover of some sort, to the front acrylic window. -Bea
Tarps aren't a good match for gelcoat either. Even though I use an ADCO cover I put a piece of painter's drop sheet over the trailer first. It's 9' wide and comes in a long roll. It clings like cling wrap and protects the gelcoat from the cover moving around due to wind.

The first window that I want to retro-fit is the front window. We prefer natural ventilation and in the 21C that's a great location for another opening window.

I had reservations about that location for an acrylic window but that doesn't seem to be an issue with those already installed. Yes, for roads in some locations extra measures might be prudent. Although my current rock guard has seen its' fair share of Alaska type roads and has no damage and it's only thin ABS.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote