Cassette Mini-Split - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2023, 06:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C
Cassette Mini-Split

Just came across this cassette mini-split from Pioneer.

It's 115V, 12K BTU, and boast 21.5 SEER

Not sure if it's a viable replacement for our current roof top air conditioners.
Since we'd still need to find a suitable mounting place for condenser unit, and also devise plan for running hoses.

Home Depot also carries, but unfortunately NOT the 115V version
djronh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 10:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
The ~23.5" square roof cutout required for the linked Pioneer cassette unit and need to provide unobtrusive support framing for that perimeter might be particularly challenging (the OE AC/vent cutout and in-ceiling support framing is ~14" square). Then one would need to fabricate some sort of weathertight (and preferably insulated) enclosure for the cassette projecting ~10" above the roof.

All could likely be handled by an innovative and motivated installer, but I'm not sure I see the effort as worthwhile in comparison to already demonstrated mini-split installations using an interior OH cabinet for the air-handler or a drop-in Houghton roof top unit; each has its pros and cons of course.
Old 08-10-2023, 10:48 AM   #3

Trailer: 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
a drop-in Houghton roof top unit; each has its pros and cons of course.
I'm not familiar with this option.

Do you happen to have a link you can share?

Also, any idea how it compares (in terms of efficiency, cooling, and noise) to a 13.5K BTU Coleman Mach 10
djronh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 11:10 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I just installed a 9,000 Senville 120 volt unit in our house and it would work great in an Escape. Great price at $900 Canadian and free shipping!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6545.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 11:18 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by djronh1 View Post
I'm not familiar with this [Houghton] option.

Do you happen to have a link you can share?
The Houghton unit has been discussed and installed by more than a few folks on this forum, forum search is your friend, here's one thread discussing the option:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...all-21313.html

BTW, in the latest release about the impending E23, ETI indicates it's an OE option on that trailer, suggesting they may offer it on other new trailers.
Old 08-11-2023, 02:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by djronh1 View Post
Just came across this cassette mini-split from Pioneer.

It's 115V, 12K BTU, and boast 21.5 SEER

Not sure if it's a viable replacement for our current roof top air conditioners.
Since we'd still need to find a suitable mounting place for condenser unit, and also devise plan for running hoses.
This is a normal mini-split configuration, but with the indoor unit intended to be recessed into a ceiling, occupying space above the ceiling. That means that in a trailer, not only would it need a much larger roof hole than the standard 14 inch square, but you would also need to build a weatherproof housing to enclose the top of the unit. The alternative would be to put it in an interior cabinet, but the vents would be on the bottom of that cabinet - a conventional wall-mount mini-split indoor unit in a cabinet would make more sense, and would be easier to fit into the interior.

But for some residential applications this would be a slick setup, so it's interesting to hear about this option.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 02:24 PM   #7

Trailer: N/A
I have a minisplit in my office garage and it’s great, but with quiet RV AC like Houghton I’m doubtful of the utility. In the absence of having it designed in I would’t retrofit personally, but I know there are those who have.
EscapingDan is offline   Reply With Quote