Condensor Fridge for E17 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2022, 05:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 22' 17B
Condensor Fridge for E17

I know that ETI doesn't offer a 12 v compressor fridge option for the 17 as it does for other models, but was wondering if anyone with a 17 had swapped their 3 way for a compressor model, or better yet, deleted the fridge on a new build and installed one after delivery. I am seeing a trend toward solar, compressor fridges, thus reducing reliance from propane, and the tech has come a long way in recent past. As a result, I was interested in this mod as a way to future proof the trailer, since these things tend to last a long time. I figure if this is done in the configuration stage, it can save you from having another vent/ hole in your trailer that isn't needed.

So my question is, has anyone with a 17 done this mod and if so, did you find it difficult to find a model that would fit through the door? Did it fit well or did you have to modify the cabinet at all? Finally, do you find your power setup, whatever it is, was enough to sustain for off the grid camping for more than a day or two?
Sean2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 05:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I think you might be referring to a 12 volt compressor style fridge. Good luck on your quest.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 05:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2023 E19
At the the 11:15 mark of this video, the owner discusses installing a 4 cuft "Truck Fridge" compressor fridge in his E17. The specific model is not mentioned, but sounds like it was a straightforward swap.

Bear in mind that I believe depth of the fridge/microwave cabinet on the E17 depends on size of the absorption fridge originally installed (either the 3 of 4 cuft Dometic). That might be a factor in sourcing a suitably-sized replacement.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 08:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I think you might be referring to a 12 volt compressor style fridge. Good luck on your quest.
Yes! Exactly! Brain fart. thanks for the check, looking for info on compressor fridges. Maybe mod can edit title so thread is archived appropriately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
At the the 11:15 mark of this video, the owner discusses installing a 4 cuft "Truck Fridge" compressor fridge in his E17. The specific model is not mentioned, but sounds like it was a straightforward swap.

I checked out that video. Thanks for the link, it was reassuring to know models exist that will not only fit through the door but seemingly fit in the same footprint as the 3 cf fridge, although he didn't offer much information other than having completed the mod. I'd probably request the deeper cabinet to accommodate larger fridges.
Old 03-23-2022, 06:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 E19
Whatever you do, just don't install a combustor fridge.... (kaboom!)
Old 03-23-2022, 07:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
This looks like the model he used
https://truckfridge.com/collections/...k-refrigerator
Old 03-23-2022, 07:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
This well could be it, though I thought he said it was a 4 cf fridge and this one is listed at 4.6. Not a huge difference, but considering he already got a 4 into where escape had designed for a 3, makes you wonder. Then again, I guess a compressor fridge likely has less components leaving more space for the refrigeration compartment.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean2a View Post
This well could be it, though I thought he said it was a 4 cf fridge and this one is listed at 4.6. Not a huge difference, but considering he already got a 4 into where escape had designed for a 3, makes you wonder. Then again, I guess a compressor fridge likely has less components leaving more space for the refrigeration compartment.
He probably just misquoted. It’s the same in all respects as the one in the video. You are right about the efficiency of space. This 4.6 CF compressor fridge is slightly smaller in each dimension than a 3 CF Dometic RM2351 for example.
Old 03-25-2022, 10:55 AM   #9

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean2a View Post
I know that ETI doesn't offer a 12 v compressor fridge option for the 17 as it does for other models, but was wondering if anyone with a 17 had swapped their 3 way for a compressor model, or better yet, deleted the fridge on a new build and installed one after delivery. I am seeing a trend toward solar, compressor fridges, thus reducing reliance from propane, and the tech has come a long way in recent past. As a result, I was interested in this mod as a way to future proof the trailer, since these things tend to last a long time. I figure if this is done in the configuration stage, it can save you from having another vent/ hole in your trailer that isn't needed.

So my question is, has anyone with a 17 done this mod and if so, did you find it difficult to find a model that would fit through the door? Did it fit well or did you have to modify the cabinet at all? Finally, do you find your power setup, whatever it is, was enough to sustain for off the grid camping for more than a day or two?
When we ordered our Escape 19, we asked them to delete the fridge and delete the cut out on the side of the trailer, and then gave them the cut out dimensions for a Novakool 7 cubic foot fridge. I then installed the fridge myself. We installed the Novakool RFU8220 and were able to fit it through the door of the trailer. I would go to the Novakool website as they have a whole list of fridges available and have great information for size of cut out required etc. P.S. I did have Escape leave the top vent in place for better air circulation around the compressor fridge we installed
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 10:58 AM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
When we ordered our Escape 19, we asked them to delete the fridge and delete the cut out on the side of the trailer, and then gave them the cut out dimensions for a Novakool 7 cubic foot fridge. I then installed the fridge myself. We installed the Novakool RFU8220 and were able to fit it through the door of the trailer. I would go to the Novakool website as they have a whole list of fridges available and have great information for size of cut out required etc. P.S. I did have Escape leave the top vent in place for better air circulation around the compressor fridge we installed
Here is the link to Novakool

https://www.novakool.com/

Forgot to mention that Escape did adjust the cabinet to accommodate the fridge making the whole thing extremely easy
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote