Hot and Cold Connection to Outside Shower - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2020, 04:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
Hot and Cold Connection to Outside Shower

While running some new wire in our 21C, I noticed that the hose connections to the outside shower are braided plastic. Braided plastic lines are not suitable for hot water lines, as they are prone to breakage. I went looking for metal braided lines, but could not easily locate lines of the desired length. I decided to replace the lines with pex. It was an easy decision because I already own the crimp tool needed to install pex. In the first picture you can see the plastic lines. The second picture is the completed pex job.
I felt that the mod was the prudent thing to do given the fact that the bed had already been disassembled, making it a very easy job.
Many thanks to Tom Fowler for noticing the braided hose issue. I might have missed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Plastic Hose to Outside Shower.jpg   Plastic Replaced With Pex.jpg  
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Nice job, Mike!

I still remember when the braided hose on my bathroom sink blew out on the way to the Escape rally in 2017. Thank goodness it was blowing water all over the bathroom! In your case, it would be all over the trailer!
Old 12-23-2020, 05:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Nice job, Mike!

I still remember when the braided hose on my bathroom sink blew out on the way to the Escape rally in 2017. Thank goodness it was blowing water all over the bathroom! In your case, it would be all over the trailer!
I can never thank you enough for all of the assistance, from filling out the build sheet to modifications past and future.
Old 12-24-2020, 03:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Nice job, Mike!

Lol. Still better than clear plastic hose I recon. Well not if it blows out. I will know in a month what I have.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 07:24 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Braided water lines have been used a fair bit in the past, hot and cold, with no troubles. I think the one Escape used for the 21 sinks might have just been a bad one, no?

Regardless, the PEX looks great and will definitely perform well. It would be my favoured waterline too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:37 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Braided water lines have been used a fair bit in the past, hot and cold, with no troubles. I think the one Escape used for the 21 sinks might have just been a bad one, no?

Regardless, the PEX looks great and will definitely perform well. It would be my favoured waterline too.
Braided tubing water lines are not available for sale in the USA as they were taken off the market years ago due to the high rate of burst failure. Only stainless braided PVC or reinforced rubber hoses are available. Braided tubing's pressure rating is reduced as the water temperature increases and should never be used in hot water service.

The braided tubing that had been used for the hot water supply in my bathroom sink was rated for 150 psi but it burst at less than 50 psi - the 135 deg water had weaken the tubing that much.

If your trailer has braided tubing water lines in hot water service, it would be a very good idea to get them changed out to PEX or braided stainless lines.

https://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-Premiu.../dp/B07K5NP845

edit: CSA B125.6-17/ASME A112.18.6-17 is the standard for flexible water connectors - but costs to read or download.
Old 12-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Should there be a cover on your electrical box that slides in from the side?

Mine appears to have a cover.
Attached Thumbnails
F92AFF05-7562-4954-9940-202B357384EE.jpeg   FFC42315-966C-40DF-BF85-341D4F3D0FB4.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 04:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Should there be a cover on your electrical box that slides in from the side?

Mine appears to have a cover.
Yes, there should, but it was left off. I fabricated a diy cover for it.
Old 12-25-2020, 04:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #10
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancock View Post
While running some new wire in our 21C, I noticed that the hose connections to the outside shower are braided plastic. Braided plastic lines are not suitable for hot water lines, as they are prone to breakage. I went looking for metal braided lines, but could not easily locate lines of the desired length. I decided to replace the lines with pex. It was an easy decision because I already own the crimp tool needed to install pex. In the first picture you can see the plastic lines. The second picture is the completed pex job.
I felt that the mod was the prudent thing to do given the fact that the bed had already been disassembled, making it a very easy job.
Many thanks to Tom Fowler for noticing the braided hose issue. I might have missed it.
Very nice! Did you change out the lines that go over to the shower, as well? They look to be the same plastic red & blue lines, too? Thanks, -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 03:43 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
the red and blue 'plastic stuff' is PEX.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 09:08 AM   #12

Trailer: 2024 Escape 21C
Hi TDF-Texas, so are these lines in the Amazon link you posted an exact fit for replacement of the outside shower lines, please?

If your trailer has braided tubing water lines in hot water service, it would be a very good idea to get them changed out to PEX or braided stainless lines.

https://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-Premiu.../dp/B07K5NP845
W@nderer is offline   Reply With Quote