Installing TV mount - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2022, 02:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Installing TV mount

Okay, I'm about to start drilling some holes in the reinforced wall of our 5.0 in order to attach our TV mount. I'm inclined to mount it positioned as shown in the attached so that I'm drilling across the ply, rather than coming at it from the edge of the wall. I realize I will need to use machine screws, washers and nuts vs. just lag screws but it would seem stronger. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20220320_191338934.jpg  
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 02:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shearwater View Post
Okay, I'm about to start drilling some holes in the reinforced wall of our 5.0 in order to attach our TV mount. I'm inclined to mount it positioned as shown in the attached so that I'm drilling across the ply, rather than coming at it from the edge of the wall. I realize I will need to use machine screws, washers and nuts vs. just lag screws but it would seem stronger. Thoughts?
The framing along the edge of that bulkhead wall is plenty solid enough to hold long wood screws even without the additional reinforcing in the wall - ours is not reinforced and a couple of heavy wood screws into the end of the wall have held the TV mount firmly in place for three years - and we leave the TV mounted for travel, so it is very sturdy.
Attached Thumbnails
TV4.jpg  
Old 03-20-2022, 04:23 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'd use the machine bolts with large washers on both ends to spread the load....just my $.02 worth......
Old 03-20-2022, 05:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
I'm in the middle of configuring my 19 according to Linda you are correct you don't need the reinforced wall because you attach to the outside.
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 05:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
The framing along the edge of that bulkhead wall is plenty solid enough to hold long wood screws even without the additional reinforcing in the wall - ours is not reinforced and a couple of heavy wood screws into the end of the wall have held the TV mount firmly in place for three years - and we leave the TV mounted for travel, so it is very sturdy.
Thanks David, I had read your post on this installation and that was my original thought, but I'm a pessimist by nature and I have concerns about the holding power into the edge of that plywood over time. I appreciate that it hasn't been a problem for you and we would likely never travel with the TV mounted. Still...
Old 03-20-2022, 05:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'd use the machine bolts with large washers on both ends to spread the load....just my $.02 worth......
I've reached out to a carpenter friend of mine for his opinion. He tends to be pretty conservative, as am I. I'm always tightening the screws in our kitchen (home) cabinet doors and I have a vision of that here. But I do respect the experience of others, hence the ask. For sure, using exposed nuts and washers would be uglier than lag screws.
Old 03-20-2022, 06:14 PM   #7

Quote:
I've reached out to a carpenter friend of mine for his opinion. He tends to be pretty conservative, as am I. I'm always tightening the screws in our kitchen (home) cabinet doors and I have a vision of that here. But I do respect the experience of others, hence the ask. For sure, using exposed nuts and washers would be uglier than lag screws.
ETI has been installing their TV mount in the edge of the bulkhead wall for many years and I've never heard of a problem reported. When I installed ours I was surprised by how substantial the framing was on the edge of that wall. Blots and nuts sticking through the wall would not be attractive, and just a lag bolt into the 3/4" thickness of the reinforced wall if mounted on the wall rather than the edge would not be as secure. Again, just my opinion, both as a carpenter myself and based on having it hold very securely for years with no problem. A couple of long heavy wood screws with just a small pilot hole will grip surprisingly well and should remain tight.
Old 03-20-2022, 06:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I usually use machine screws for this sort of application but screws seem to be doing the job for some folks. Although the length of material the screw has is a factor. If it's only 3/4" I'd rather have through bolts.

I don't regard them as ugly. On the exterior you see the heads, and they look the same as a screw head. Inside the closet you have have to put your head entirely inside the closet to see one and I don't find the other one all that ugly. Don't know why I didn't put on a flat washer and lock nut though.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
27-12-2019 5-04-55 PM_0005_resize.jpg   IMGP0010 (2)_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 05:49 PM   #9

I ended up installing my mount as shown in the photo I shared. As it turned out, the Mount-It brand mount permanent bracket was much wider than the width of the wall, so it would have stuck out from the sides had I mounted it through the edge of the wall.

I do have exposed hardware now but I used a Dremel to cut down the bolts so all you see is the Ny-lok nuts. For anyone else installing a mount, make sure you test fit your TV before drilling any holes or you may find you have clearance problems with either the ceiling or walls.
Old 07-10-2023, 04:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0
Hi David, I saw the picture of your TV mount and wondering if you could tell me which one you have it looks like something that would work for me. I saw this in an old post from March 2022. Thanks in advance Gary.
Grasshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 04:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshog View Post
Hi David, I saw the picture of your TV mount and wondering if you could tell me which one you have it looks like something that would work for me. I saw this in an old post from March 2022. Thanks in advance Gary.
Here you go: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ectFromSmile=1
Old 07-10-2023, 05:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I mounted mine the same as Dave did {based on his post}.. No issues and leave it mounted as well during travel. I just put a bungie cord from upper cabinet to tv mount... Seems to work well
Old 07-10-2023, 09:20 PM   #13

We also mounted our TV on the same wall (not reinforced.) Our mount is similar to David's - Master Mounts 404L: https://www.amazon.com/Master-Mounts...0-4513d670b6bc
However, the mounting bracket is wider, about 2.5". We glued and screwed a 1x3 to each side of the wall to provide a wider base to mount the bracket. We leave it locked onto the bracket during travel. It's very secure.
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210917_TVmount.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	69374
Old 07-11-2023, 01:10 AM   #14

Trailer: 5.0
Thank you for the quick reply,,Gary
Grasshog is offline   Reply With Quote