Isotherm Cruise 195 INOX refrigerator/freezer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2021, 02:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Isotherm Cruise 195 INOX refrigerator/freezer

We placed our new Indel Webasto Isotherm Cruise 195 INOX refrigerator/freezer into our 19' trailer.

First, the Isotherm model 1195BB7NK0000 fit right thru the door. The original ETI-installed Dometic DM2663 requires a major effort to remove.

Looks really nice from the front. We are deciding how to position and trim out the unit. Refrigerator is on top, freezer on bottom.

Has plenty of space in the back, as shown looking up the back of the Cruise 195 toward the refrigerator roof vent. The trailer's street side wall is on the left.

The unit is DC/AC, and each compartment has its own Danfoss / Secop compressor (type BD35F) with individual temperature controls. It does not use propane.

Will post final install images and other details as we finish the upgrade.

Sure wish ETI had offered this refrigerator/freezer when we ordered our trailer.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 02:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Looks like the one Johnny Hung has in his 21. Nice!
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 03:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
very nice unit!
Old 07-12-2021, 08:33 AM   #4

Several Danfoss/Secop choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
Looks like the one Johnny Hung has in his 21. Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
very nice unit!
Thanks. We ordered ours via West Marine, and they delivered it to our local Austin, TX store. That saved freight charges. Many larger marine suppliers carry them. The Cruise 195 Classic is about 10-15% less than the Cruise 195 stainless.

We compared several Danfoss/Secop marine or RV compressor refrigerator/freezer combo units. The Novakool RFU9600 was our second choice, with a 22-3/4" depth. We liked the Vitifrego DP2600, but its smallest dimension is 23-11/16, which is too wide for the door. The Isotherm CR219 and CR220 were a few inches too tall. We looked at stacking individual refrigerator and freezer units.

Our choice met all our requirements: get away from the absorption design, fit into the original cabinet, a dimension less that 23 in. to go in via door, good power efficiency, solid marine/RV design, well insulated, at least 6 cu ft interior space, vent to rear instead of front, smooth front with no extended handles, actual stainless steel aesthetics we like.

73/gus
Old 07-12-2021, 10:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Looks like a wonderful setup, Gus. Personally I really like the fridge over the freezer rather than vice versa and the truly flush installation.

I'd be interested to know what sort of 12V power consumption/day you actually experience if it's possible for you to isolate that from other system loads?

No doubt the dual compressors will provide fantastic cooling performance and temperature control in both the fridge and freezer compartments, I wonder if the net effect is really much greater overall daily power consumption than similar-size fridge/freezer combos with a single BD35 compressor (e.g. some of the NovaKool models).

I'd be interested to read your thoughts on that, how the dual compressors figured into your decision process, etc.
Old 07-12-2021, 12:29 PM   #6

Two compressors vs one? We will find out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Looks like a wonderful setup, Gus. Personally I really like the fridge over the freezer rather than vice versa and the truly flush installation. I'd be interested to know what sort of 12V power consumption/day you actually experience if it's possible for you to isolate that from other system loads?
We are interested too, and we will try to figure out how to do this.

The units are DC or AC, and they switch to AC when available. Ideally, I'd like to monitor the independent DC consumption AND the independent AC consumption used across various temperatures and elevations.

We are looking at the best supplemental insulation to add around the boxes, and not interfere with the compressors and heat exchangers.

We will likely add a switchable, quiet 12VDC fan at the bottom to move air up.

Quote:
No doubt the dual compressors will provide fantastic cooling performance and temperature control in both the fridge and freezer compartments, I wonder if the net effect is really much greater overall daily power consumption than similar-size fridge/freezer combos with a single BD35 compressor (e.g. some of the NovaKool models).

I'd be interested to read your thoughts on that, how the dual compressors figured into your decision process, etc.
Overall, we liked the CR195 package best, it fit, and it came with two compressors.

The Cruise 195 is the only 2-compressor unit in the Isotherm Cruise line - being two units bolted together. For comparison, the typical W/24-hr consumption listed in the Isotherm brochure:
CR165 = 600
CR195 = 840
CR200 = 800
CR219 = 650
CR271 = 700

We looked really closely at the Cruise 219, but we did not want to increase the opening height by 2". Not having the full as-built cabinet dimensions, we also had concerns about the rear height.

Plus:
- the CR195 freezer is on the bottom, and CR219 has the freezer on top,
- the CR195 INOX is a full stainless steel unit, and the CR219 is not available as all stainless steel

One compressor keeping two temperatures vs. two compressors operating independently? I am not sure. We are into our refrigerator much more often than the freezer. Hopefully only the refrigerator compressor will run while the freezer compressor remains off.

The units are modular, repairable, and have repair parts available. See attached for the parts breakout. Figure the two stainless steel boxes will last as long as the trailer.

73/gus
Attached Files
File Type: pdf isotherme_cr195-spare-parts.pdf (212.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 07-12-2021, 01:39 PM   #7

Trailer: EX 2013 Scamp 16 OWNER, CURRENT 2016 Escape 21C
I love that you guys are doing this and gathering data on power use. I also appreciate your comparison of the various options because the Novakool was one that looked good also. How much trouble was it and how long did you have to wait to get this unit? It definitely seems to be the nicest available. Hard decision about the extra $500 for the SS but sure looks nice! Not hard to imagine a scenario where, because you rarely open the freezer, your system actually uses less power overall than a single compressor unit. while maintaining lower freezer temps.
Semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 01:42 PM   #8

Thumbs up

Thanks for those thoughts, Gus - you've obviously put your usual careful evaluation skills into this to find the most likely best solution for you

Yeah, there's no shortage of anecdotes about folks struggling the find the optimal setting for both fridge and freezer compartments with single-compressor units. Some seem to find a 'sweet spot' while some seem to never find satisfaction; methinks a lot of that range of experience has to do with individual use habits, installation details, and environmental conditions.

I've no doubt that the dual compressor will completely eliminate that struggle, and as suggested by my musings I'd not be too surprised to learn the net power demand 'penalty' is very low, particularly with good insulation, good venting, and attentive 'door management' as you clearly plan to implement.

Please do keep us posted about your experience with this mod, if not in this thread (now subscribed) at least with a link here to your posts.

Again, IMO it's a very attractive mod on several fronts, and I really appreciate you sharing!
Old 07-12-2021, 03:28 PM   #9

10 days for delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semievolved View Post
How much trouble was it and how long did you have to wait to get this unit?
Ordered online with West Marine on June 19, 2021. Initial email said refrigerator would arrive by July 8. Cruise 195 arrived at local West Marine on July 2 = ten work days.

73/gus
Old 07-12-2021, 04:08 PM   #10

Novakool vents to front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semievolved View Post
I also appreciate your comparison of the various options because the Novakool was one that looked good also.
Agree with you. Novakool RFU9000 is a good unit, dual-compressor, with frig over freezer, and an excellent reputation. One consideration for us is that RFU9000 vents to the front. This makes it installable in most any cabinet.

We prefer to have the heat vented at the back to move up to the existing roof vent. Plus the 22-3/4" minimum dimension is VERY close to the 23 in. ( really 22-7/8") door width.

RFU6800 and RFU8320 vent to the back and could have been other AC/DC choices. The dimensions are good too. So there are several options to consider.

73/gus
Old 07-12-2021, 04:36 PM   #11

Trailer: EX 2013 Scamp 16 OWNER, CURRENT 2016 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
Agree with you. Novakool RFU9000 is a good unit, dual-compressor, with frig over freezer, and an excellent reputation. One consideration for us is that RFU9000 vents to the front. This makes it installable in most any cabinet.

We prefer to have the heat vented at the back to move up to the existing roof vent. Plus the 22-3/4" minimum dimension is VERY close to the 23 in. ( really 22-7/8") door width.

RFU6800 and RFU8320 vent to the back and could have been good options. The dimensions are good too. So there are several option to consider.

73/gus

hmmm, I wonder why Johnny Hung installed venting for his that went into adjacent cabinets (I believe). Now that you mention that there is an existing roof vent for it, I don't see any reason not to use that other than if you're trying to use that heat to warm the cabin.
Semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:53 PM   #12

Quote:
... We prefer to have the heat vented at the back to move up to the existing roof vent. ...
Have to agree with that, I wouldn't want any avoidable heat transfer to the interior in our Texas summers.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
The units are DC or AC, and they switch to AC when available. Ideally, I'd like to monitor the independent DC consumption AND the independent AC consumption used across various temperatures and elevations.
That would be good to know, but unlike absorption refrigerators the AC and DC power runs the same device (the compressor), so AC should just mean an extra power conversion stage (step down voltage and rectify) which should be very efficient.

The electronic unit (#34 in the parts document) is the only difference between a DC unit and an AC/DC unit, proving that the compressor (#36 or #47) is DC (12 V in this case, but 24 V is available) and the electronic unit is converting the input power when required.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:14 PM   #14

Johnny Hung's Cruise 195 experience

Quote:
Again, IMO it's a very attractive mod on several fronts, and I really appreciate you sharing!
Good to know the sharing is useful.

For more sharing about the Isotherm Cruise 195, check out Johnny Hung's Facebook post on March 10 about the Cruise 195 in his Escape 21C. There's also the
2021 Escape Virtual Rally video segment.

"Dual DC compressors fridge update.
I installed an Isotherm C195 marine fridge on my E21 at the beginning of this year. It has been running on my solar and lithium bank since with no shore power assist.
Daily power consumption: 960watt hour (wh) +/- 50wh. This fridge uses 2, Danfoss, DB35F compressor. Many single compressor fridge such as the Norcold DC558 uses the same compressor. So for consideration of going for lithium and compressor fridge on your build, factor half of my daily consumption depending on usage and ventilation.
Noise level: Super quiet. Not noticeable at all ( and I have all my hearing faculties &#128516. I upgraded the ventilation scheme from passive to active cooling using an ultra quiet, low power consumption PC type fan. I situated that fan between the fridge and microwave compartments. This was done in preparation for summer camping. The fan is on a speed controller for settings to my liking."

This is about 10% more than Isotherm brochure, but not unexpected. I was figuring the usage equivalent to one Battleborn GC2 (12VDC - 100Ahr) lithium storage per day.

Johnny mentions the Cruise 195 being quiet. We are installing our unit atop a Sorbothane 0.125x24x24" Duro 50 vibration damping pad. I will also have insulation on the cabinet sides and top.

Johnny also uses a 12 VDC computer fan to force ventilation. I have two super quiet computer fans I am mounting behind the fridge just above the outside access panel to force air up to the roof vent. Suspect we will need some air conditioning filter fabric over the outside panel vents to control dust.

73/gus
Old 07-13-2021, 03:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Quoting Johnny Hung: " ... I situated that fan between the fridge and microwave compartments. This was done in preparation for summer camping. ...."
It sounds like perhaps Johnny is moving cooler interior air to the space behind the fridge?? To improve the delta-T (temperature gradient) across the fridge coils in summer?? (My loss in this case that I don't do FB)

I did note that the OE reefer compartment roof-vent is visible in pics of his trailer, presumably still serving as the vent / heated-air outlet.

Also sounds like the real-world dual compressor power consumption is a bit more than I might have hoped, so it goes.

All very appreciated information for sure, thanks, Gus!
Old 07-14-2021, 12:14 PM   #16

Johnny Hung vents into trailer

Quote:
It sounds like perhaps Johnny is moving cooler interior air to the space behind the fridge?? To improve the delta-T (temperature gradient) across the fridge coils in summer?? (My loss in this case that I don't do FB
Johnny Hung says he removed and sealed up the refrigerator roof vent. His fan moves hot air from behind the Cruise 195 out thru the microwave cabinet into the main trailer inside via the new vent he installed above the microwave.

I suspect the roof vent removal was to gain exterior roof space for more solar panels.

Johnny had to shim the Cruise 195 a bit, as the opening is not square. That's also what I have found. We are mounting ours flush to the cabinet face, not with trim pieces Johnny used that are the thickness of the other cabinet doors.

Mounting is only via the front trim screws. I might add a strap in the rear, TBD.

73/gus
Old 07-14-2021, 12:45 PM   #17

Trailer: 21 NE ordered... :-)
Following.... :-)
Windspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Johnny Hung says he removed and sealed up the refrigerator roof vent. His fan moves hot air from behind the Cruise 195 out thru the microwave cabinet into the main trailer inside via the new vent he installed above the microwave.

I suspect the roof vent removal was to gain exterior roof space for more solar panels.
Very interesting (though not a tack I'd likely take). Thanks, Gus, for serving as 'proxy access' to the FB detail of Johnny Hung's impressive mods

Yeah, no surprise and no worries with regard to working out a few details in terms of cabinet face-trim, etc. That sort of thing likely a necessity during installation with most any reefer swap.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:14 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windspirit View Post
Following.... :-)

I don't understand what this post does. Is it somehow easier to find?
Old 07-16-2021, 04:13 PM   #20

Trailer: 21 NE ordered... :-)
It provides a direct link for me to catalog and directly return to the conversation at a later date so I don't have to search for it in the future (via an email that I get for posting in this thread). I am interested in the progress of this modification but my trailer is not due for delivery until late 2022. I apologize if this is not appropriate on this form, but it seems pretty nonintrusive and I see this pretty regularly on other forms. If you have a better way, less intrusive, I am all ears..... :-)
Windspirit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise 195, danfoss, isotherm, refrigerator, secop