Moving the breaker box? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2023, 12:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Question Moving the breaker box?

We're looking at some table options on our new 5.0 with bench seats. The current placement of the breaker box is not a great location, and it will likely be a problem for one of our ideas. I am thinking of moving it from facing out under the bench, to being just inside the bench and facing upward (with an appropriate frame to hold it in place). That should make it easier to work with in the few times we may need to, and get it out of the way. We don't need the extra room under that bench, anyways.

So has anyone ever relocated their breaker box?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6630.jpg  
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 12:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I don't remember anyone doing that type of mod. Lots of comments about the location but most folks live with it.

I think that that type of mod could be done. Moving it any great distance would be a lot of work but a lot of the wires come from the trailer side over to it and they should be OK for length. I think that its probable that some wires would have to be extended.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 12:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Don't know about trailer building codes but I do know electrical codes for houses require direct, unobstructed access to the breakers. Placing them inside a bench would be contrary to this principle. You might want to check into this before doing your mod.
Lawrence A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 12:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence A View Post
Don't know about trailer building codes but I do know electrical codes for houses require direct, unobstructed access to the breakers. Placing them inside a bench would be contrary to this principle. You might want to check into this before doing your mod.
Good point, but I'm wondering who is going to be inspecting it?
Old 06-22-2023, 12:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
I have (had*) the same OE Power Center configuration in my 5.0.

Are you considering recessing / rotating the entire Power Center or attempting to separate the breaker / fuse panel and relocate / rotate only that part?

In either case, there's two particular things I'd consider about an 'upward facing' arrangement:
  • Ensuring that the converter has an adequate cooling airflow
  • Recognizing that an upward-facing DC fuse panel / circuit board might be more at risk of accidental short from things falling on its horizontal face when servicing
The former could probably be addressed, the latter would be a no-go for me (YMMV).

I acknowledge the awkward access of the OE configuration, but personally, I'd deal with that on the hopefully rare occasions when service access is required rather than undertake the 'recess-and-rotate to horizontal' mod you seem to be considering.

Just one opinion, Have Fun!

(had*) - I've eliminated the OE power center as part of major electrical mods but my replacement stand-alone AC breaker and DC fuse panels are still located in the vertical face of a dinette bench seat (moved to passenger side with battery and other electrical gear).
Old 06-22-2023, 12:59 PM   #6

Good points. I was thinking of the whole unit. Regarding airflow, it should be the same amount, since the internals aren't moving more than a few inches. Good point on the second issue. I will give some thought to that.

Tags
breaker, electrical