Quiet down 5.0 escape hatch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2023, 07:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA
Quiet down 5.0 escape hatch

Has anyone done anything to quiet down the escape hatch on the 5.0? Laying in bed during a gentle rain sounds like there is pea size hail hitting the escape hatch. I was thinking of painting the outside of the hatch with a rubberized paint to soften the sound of the rain.

Anyone have any ideas?
Camper Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 08:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Ear plugs?

Short of some hi-tec noise cancelling system, I don't think there are cheap and clever techniques. Maybe some 1/2" thick foam over the hatch would be enough to absorb the impacts and deaden the sound. Worth a try.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 08:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Personally I like the sound of the rain beating down when I'm all warm inside.

Reminds of the time that I had a woodpecker beating everyday on the metal top of my chimney. Drove me nuts. I glued a piece of foam backed vinyl on top. Must have driven the woodpecker into therapy, but that ended that annoyance.

I think that it would take a little more than a paint on substance to make the noise go away.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 09:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Is there anyway to attach a piece or two of Reflectix or other flexible sheet insulation on the inside? These can sometimes be a pressure fit or attached with Velcro depending on the particulars of the hatch itself. This may act to quiet it down enough.
Old 06-20-2023, 11:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
I’m with Ron on enjoying the sound of raindrops, maybe because here in California we sometimes go 6 months with hardly any.

We’ve discussed putting up something to reduce light coming in through the escape hatch though, for those really long summer nights up north. Maybe some dense foam could be cut to shape and installed with double sided tape and that would reduce noise and light.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 05:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
My spouse didn’t like light coming through at night. We got some 3-inch foam at JoAnn’s fabrics. With careful measuring, she made 2 white covers and 2 pads which are held in place by friction and have stayed in place since 2016. It has to be done in 2 parts due to the operating mechanism. It serves as insulation also. It will deaden the sound on the lid, but you still hear rain on the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1474.jpeg  
Old 06-21-2023, 06:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I cannot get enough of the ping pong ball sound on the roof. It is one of my favorite audible parts of camping along with bird song, night crickets, katydids, frogs and toads, and the king of sounds Coyotes when they get into competitive barking and howling. No solution here, just the enjoyment of being alive and using all the senses.
It’s 6:45 AM gotta get outside and hear a few rooster pheasant crows before they retire to the hayfields for the day and go shutmouth.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave
Old 06-21-2023, 07:52 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
We have a battery operated white noise making machine we don't hear anything.
Old 06-21-2023, 09:19 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Scott View Post
Has anyone done anything to quiet down the escape hatch on the 5.0? Laying in bed during a gentle rain sounds like there is pea size hail hitting the escape hatch. I was thinking of painting the outside of the hatch with a rubberized paint to soften the sound of the rain.

Anyone have any ideas?
Hi: Camper Scott... "Pitter patter, let's get at 'er". That'll annoy a noise. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 09:37 AM   #10

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
Fourair White Noise Sound Machine with 25 Soothing Sounds Powered by USB or Battery Portable Lanyard for Travel 32 Volume Levels 5 Timers and Memory Function for Baby Kids Adults Sleeping (Black) https://a.co/d/9imOuPr
WanderBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 09:56 AM   #11

Trailer: 2023 E19
Maybe a layer of automotive sound-deadening material (like Dynamat or similar) affixed to the underside of the hatch shell would work....
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 02:52 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Soothing white noise is what I perceive when I remove my hearing aids for sleep on a rainy night in the trailer

(wish I didn't need 'em but I guess this scenario is a bit of consolation)
Old 06-21-2023, 05:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Personally I like the sound of the rain beating down when I'm all warm inside.

Reminds of the time that I had a woodpecker beating everyday on the metal top of my chimney. Drove me nuts. I glued a piece of foam backed vinyl on top. Must have driven the woodpecker into therapy, but that ended that annoyance.

I think that it would take a little more than a paint on substance to make the noise go away.

Ron
I experienced the woodpecker on the chimney cap for the first time this year. I was in the basement and heard it coming through the chimney. I figured an animal had gotten stuck in the chimney for sure. Went outside and there he was drumming on my aluminum chimney cap with his beak. After that I noticed while walking the dogs that he had a friend about a block away that would answer him back. I also saw him fly to other houses and use their chimneys too. They must like the amplification they get from the chimney cap!
Camper Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 06:22 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Scott View Post

Anyone have any ideas?
This also comes in white.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0742.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 08:40 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too love the sound of rain, even small hail hitting the top of the trailer. Kinda mesmerizing.

The only exception was last Aug 1 when we were pulverized by near golf ball sized hail. It sounded like a dozen people beating on the trailer with hammers. A/C shroud, fridge vent, bath vent cover and emergency exit cover were all damaged. The top of the awning cover had dents in it. Insurance covered it all but I just took the money and kept the awning. My truck (aluminum body) suffered the worst costing insurance near $15,000 CAD to repair. The good news is the trailer body and Lensun panels were fine.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote