Padawan’s Life - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2024, 07:03 PM   #221

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Nice mod. Please share the extra length the drawer.
Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 09:57 PM   #222

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
Nice mod. Please share the extra length the drawer.
Tonny LR
It was either 24” or 24 1/2”. Pretty easy to pop out the drawer and stick a tape measure in to see what you actually have. We are travelling minus trailer, so I can’t measure mine right now.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:22 AM   #223

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Nice! Are you selling drawer with slides to fellow Escapers? I can't tell what joinery you used to connect the sides of the drawer? Dovetail?
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 11:25 AM   #224

I don’t do cabinet work. I’m just a DIY’er that will buy a tool whenever that’s cheaper than hiring it done. Then I just figure out how to do it. It doesn’t always turn out great, but I learn something and save some money. It does take time, but trying to get something drone the way you want also often takes time.

So, I bought a cheaper dovetail jig for my router. Made the box, and put some longer slides on it that have a lock to keep the drawer from opening when travelling. I reused the drawer face and pull from the original ETI drawer. It’s not perfect, and I need to adjust some, but that will wait for another time.

I have lots of tools, and a few skills from doing this over the years. I seldom hire someone to do something. I’m not the best, but it’s one way to save money and help build wealth so I can both travel and increase the amount I have for charity. I’m an expert in a few things, but in my shop, I just a plain DIY’er.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:27 PM   #225

Trailer: 21
Nice work
Old 03-23-2024, 05:39 PM   #226

Lippert Sliding windows

Over my years traveling I have found sliding windows in RV’s to be reliable, and at the time of our purchase, the frameless windows were suffering a rash of delaminations; therefore, we selected the sliders. They have been nothing but trouble.

I could not get help from Lippert until I left a very poor review at the BBB. They finally paid for the outrageously priced run channel I had already purchased in an effort to solve the problem. This did not create a reliable repair.

Here’s two related threads on the issue and attempted repair.:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...lem-23201.html

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...val-23880.html

Now I have removed the Lippert run channel except on the radiused end. I replaced it with:

https://www.outwater.com/121-PARENT?...for-shipping=2

I set this in the bottom and top channels. It probably won’t seal quite as well, but does fit the glass edge nice. I bought a black, however it is not UV stabilized, so we’ll see how it holds up. It is easily replaced. White was the only UV treated color.

I used the caulk some folks hate, silicon, to put it in the track. I wanted a mild adhesive in case I need to remove it, but did need some adhesion to keep the slick plastic in place. I also wanted some seal. I did not want to use a solvent based caulk, Geoseal or Lexel, because I did not know if it would attack the plastic.

The caulk is drying, but the windows slide nicely on the slick tracks.

We leave on a medium length, 5 week, trip next week, so we’ll see how this works. Hopefully I have working windows now because I prefer the manual awning and want to keep the sliders on that side.

I’ll attach a picture of the Lippert run channel, and the plastic channel I replaced it with.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1757.jpg  
Old 03-24-2024, 05:33 PM   #227

Caulk dried, windows working great. It’s blowing and raining and no blow by drips! Of course it’s still parked in the barn! I’ll pull it out tomorrow to check plumbing, dewinterize, and sanitize the fresh water system. It’s only supposed to be 20F Tuesday night, so I’ll have to leave a bit of heat on. This trip should give the modified windows a test.
Old 04-12-2024, 08:47 PM   #228

16 days into the trip. A lot of wind and a little rain. So far the windows work awesome. I need some hard wind driven rain for the final verdict, but as of now they are fantastic. So too early to say my slider window mod is a complete success, but it looks extremely promising.
Old 04-12-2024, 08:51 PM   #229

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I've saved the outwater link for future reference
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 08:40 AM   #230

Finally solved the squeaky bath faucet this trip. During the first 6 week trip, I used some plumbers grease on them, and it helped a bit, but they have consistently squeaked. After 300 plus nights total, on this trip, they no longer squeak.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:00 PM   #231

Still no hard driving rain, but the windows have been great so far. Cleaned the bath vent and MaxxAir screens today while just hanging out. Ready to roll fairly early in the morning.