Sliding Window Removal? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2022, 11:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 E19
Sliding Window Removal?

I'm wondering if the sliding portion of a Lippert framed window can be removed? The screen comes out of course (not easily I must say!) but I'm not sure the slider will.
A house we had years ago had vinyl sliders and you could remove the sliding glass by lifting up and pulling out at the bottom.
Doesn't appear that can happen here.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 11:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 E19
I would imagine the reason they don't come out, is because of the bounce going on when on the road. They have to tight. Or a bounce could bounce them right out.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 04:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
They pop out easily. Slide them closed. Remove rubber run channel. Open and pop out window. Screens: slide back past the radius. DS push down top and pop out starting with radius end. Lift out bottom with springs. PS pop out at bottom first. They are the same window design just flipped to fit the left or right side.
Old 10-23-2022, 05:16 PM   #4

BTW Fender, I did not glue any of the 2 short sections of run channel that are not part of the long piece that goes around the radius. Those two sections have to be removable for any repairs.
Old 10-23-2022, 08:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
They pop out easily. Slide them closed. Remove rubber run channel. Open and pop out window. Screens: slide back past the radius. DS push down top and pop out starting with radius end. Lift out bottom with springs. PS pop out at bottom first. They are the same window design just flipped to fit the left or right side.
I'm going to have to pay you for all this help Randy!
The run channel extends pretty much the entire length of both halves (sliding & fixed) of the window. With the slider closed you pull the run channel out from under it? Once I glue the run channel in place would that prevent the window from going back in?
The only reason I wanted to remove the window is due to a small section of the run channel being buckled and I can't get at it with the window open or closed.
Old 10-23-2022, 08:51 PM   #6

My run channel is 3 pieces. A top and bottom that is just slightly longer than the length of the open channel behind the window when closed, and then a long strip that runs under and above the closed window plus fits the channel on the radiuses end. The other radiused end has a gasket covering it that is not part of the run channel. I’ll see if I have any pics from when I had them apart.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:12 PM   #7

Couldn’t find any pictures. So I took the screen out of the PS dinette and opened the window to show you the break between the lower piece and the lower long piece. On the particular window. The space between the two pieces of channel is greater than most. I bought the minimum run channel length given the cost and barely had enough.
Attached Thumbnails
E9F32C77-89F6-489D-A3CF-9A9E6DE0A891.jpg   67C80527-7FA5-4D4E-80F2-A8622FEAC447.jpg  
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 09:19 PM   #8

You are correct you can’t glue the whole length in and then install or remove the pane. That’s why there are 3 pieces. So you can remove the shorter top and bottom to install and remove the pane. The longer section can be lightly glued on each end and in the short radius sections to keep it from bunching. Lube of some kind also makes the panes slide easier.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:24 PM   #9

Quote:
You are correct you can’t glue the whole length in and then install or remove the pane. That’s why there are 3 pieces. So you can remove the shorter top and bottom to install and remove the pane. The longer section can be lightly glued on each end and in the short radius sections to keep it from bunching. Lube of some kind also makes the panes slide easier.
OK, starting to make sense. I'll take a closer look at mine and compare.
Thanks for doing this!
Old 10-23-2022, 09:26 PM   #10

It was hard getting Lippert to respond to my warranty effort, but once I got hold of them Aaron was very helpful. They would probably pay to have you take it in, or even replace the window maybe. The window will fall out when you remove the trim ring screws. It’s sealed with a gasket, not caulk.

Here’s Aaron:

amckenzie@lci1.com
Old 10-23-2022, 09:31 PM   #11

The reason you can’t easily see the split is due to the screen and handle area. The reason you can do short sections is because the radius allows it to gradually settle into the rubber run channel. It’s also the radius allowing a length of non contact so you can have the channel under the pane, but be two (3 in this case) separate parts.
Old 10-24-2022, 01:06 PM   #12

Quote:
The reason you can’t easily see the split is due to the screen and handle area. The reason you can do short sections is because the radius allows it to gradually settle into the rubber run channel. It’s also the radius allowing a length of non contact so you can have the channel under the pane, but be two (3 in this case) separate parts.
Me again!
I'm wondering if we have different windows Randy. I can't quite tell from your photos if your windows have a centre mullion. Mine do - not that this makes much difference with the issue.
On further investigation however where your run channel seems to be divided into pieces mine is one continuous run. I've attached an exterior photo and added arrows showing where the run channel starts and ends, covering all of the window with the exception of that left hand side.
The absence of the cutout on the bottom could be part of the problem although I have looked at all the other windows and they are the same, and not having any problem.
I think I could get this fold tucked into proper position but the sliding window is blocking the area.
This gets me back to trying to remove the window. I think I could easily remove the entire, long piece of run channel, which may allow me then to remove the window but I'm uncertain about the order in which I reassemble things.
Perhaps I should leave well enough alone!
Attached Thumbnails
Window Exterior.jpg   IMG_1354.jpg  
Old 10-24-2022, 02:31 PM   #13

Your windows look the same. See if they are 8600 series Lippert. Mine are definitely 3 parts. When I first started, I didn’t think so. The break was hard to see at first. After I tore into it, it became obvious.

If you don’t get that fold fixed, they will forever be bad.

To find your #’s, you have to remove the trim ring. I taped the window in with blue painters tape so to wouldn’t fall out and brake. ETI parts can also give you your window model if you email them.
Old 10-24-2022, 03:52 PM   #14

Popped screens and looked at all my windows. The small bath and kitchen are 1 piece run channel. The bed, and both dinette are 3 piece. I did not have to fix the smaller two. The three larger all needed repair from day one. They came bad. My bed window pane would literally fall out without run channel and would go in and out with the run channel installed. My PS dinette would go in and out with only the bottom run channel removed. My DS side needed both removed and some dish soap on the frame and pane to go in and out. It was tight, but did remove with the run channel out of the way. Slide out of the way and then reinsert the run channel. If yours are one piece, I’m not sure the plan. I’d probably look carefully at where I could cut it, and then put it back together when you have it running correctly.
Old 10-24-2022, 04:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Popped screens and looked at all my windows. The small bath and kitchen are 1 piece run channel. The bed, and both dinette are 3 piece. I did not have to fix the smaller two. The three larger all needed repair from day one. They came bad. My bed window pane would literally fall out without run channel and would go in and out with the run channel installed. My PS dinette would go in and out with only the bottom run channel removed. My DS side needed both removed and some dish soap on the frame and pane to go in and out. It was tight, but did remove with the run channel out of the way. Slide out of the way and then reinsert the run channel. If yours are one piece, I’m not sure the plan. I’d probably look carefully at where I could cut it, and then put it back together when you have it running correctly.
Thanks again for all the effort on this Randy.
Interesting the difference from one window to the next.
I actually just sent an email to Dustin asking if there's any kind of documentation on removing the sliding glass. Mine is in there pretty snug so I'm guessing either the rubber channel needs to come out or the inside trim (or both).
All my windows worked pretty stiffly when new but 303 straightened them all out but this one.
I'll let you know if I hear anything useful.
Old 10-24-2022, 04:44 PM   #16

Removing the trim ring does not provide extra space for removing the pane from the channel on the 8600 windows. I can’t speak to any others because these are the first I have ever had trouble with.
Old 10-25-2022, 09:14 AM   #17

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
The front PS rubber track bunched up shortly after picking our 2021 21NE up last year. Dustin sent me a new rubber track. It was a bit of an balancing act to accomplish, but with two sets of hands we managed. These are the instructions he emailed me to replace the rubber track:

Remove the screen, push downward on the screen frame which will allow the top to pop out.
Slide the window all the way to the open position.
Pull the seal out of the channel on left hand side of the window.
Once the seal has been removed slide the window over the rubber to the closed position again which will allow you to remove the rest of the seal.
Start installing the seal on the bottom of the with the window in the closed position.
Slide the seal under the window while lifting it sliding it sideways under the window.
Wrap the seal around and in the similar fashion slide the seal over the window glass.

Using silicone spray will make sliding it over and under the window panel easier.
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 09:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfschu View Post
The front PS rubber track bunched up shortly after picking our 2021 21NE up last year. Dustin sent me a new rubber track. It was a bit of an balancing act to accomplish, but with two sets of hands we managed. These are the instructions he emailed me to replace the rubber track:

Remove the screen, push downward on the screen frame which will allow the top to pop out.
Slide the window all the way to the open position.
Pull the seal out of the channel on left hand side of the window.
Once the seal has been removed slide the window over the rubber to the closed position again which will allow you to remove the rest of the seal.
Start installing the seal on the bottom of the with the window in the closed position.
Slide the seal under the window while lifting it sliding it sideways under the window.
Wrap the seal around and in the similar fashion slide the seal over the window glass.
Using silicone spray will make sliding it over and under the window panel easier.
Thanks for this mfschu. Question for you - Is the "seal" and "rubber track" two different things?
Old 10-25-2022, 09:33 AM   #19

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
They are the same thing in this email, the rubber track.
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 09:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfschu View Post
They are the same thing in this email, the rubber track.
Thought so! Thanks again!