painting the "woodwork" and cabinet doors? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2017, 07:20 PM   #61

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Let's try to get this thread back on track. My favorite wood is mesquite, especially when grilling bacon wrapped London Broil.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:20 PM   #62

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
Thoer, yes indeed I very much prefer the interior of Olivers. Very clean and very cleanable, and I like the futuristic feel. I also appreciate the freedom to use various upholstery textiles and flooring materials without clashing. I like many woods, too; but not oak or any woods with similar grain. This isn't just a mild preference. I truly hate looking at oak. I've removed, covered, or painted every possible oak thing that was thrust upon me from the time I was a teen. I appreciate the strength and durability of oak, of course.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:33 PM   #63

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yup, I love teak. I've used it a lot in boats. But it is dark. On one boat I used yellow cedar planking on the interior which lighten up the look of the rest of the teak.

Yes, cherry is a nice wood also and it does have a warm feel. Teak or cherry would be negotiable but I do love a teak and holly sole.

I'm quite happy with the interior look of the Escape. I could never have an interior like an Oliver. I'd feel like I'm in a fridge.

Ron
Hi Ron . also love teak , why I made a teak shelf in our bath . Nah ,Ron sat in my last Oliver end of Sept and really is a nice trailer . It was a new 2016 and the seating was sure comfortable and it was very insulated . It is a beauty in person . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:40 PM   #64

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
All my life my interior color choices have involved some shade of beige. And even then, sometimes it was still a difficult choice.

Today I painted one kitchen wall "Tibet Blue" and tomorrow 2 other walls get painted with "Teton Sky". Seems like sometimes our tastes change also.

Ron
Yes, tastes can and probably do change quite a lot for many people over the years. I certainly like some things that I did not like at all a long time ago. Part of that is where it is and then seeing other similar possibilities later in a different setting.

As far as wood, well, there are many species and a person just might not have considered that many previously. If someone cannot stand a certain species, it may be because they have seen it everywhere and want something different for a change. We could not get another Escape looking like the first one after using it so much, but they would not change the wood or color. So we changed everything else.

Neutral colors and then adding pillows, curtains, nonstandard counters, door curtain with a design, nonstandard flooring, rugs, all can change the look pretty effectively. Also covering up some of the oak if you don't like it, can help. I would not paint it though. I always prefer wood grain but not if the surface has been painted many times. Not going back to the trouble of stripping. If there is paint now, it gets painted but if no paint, I would not paint. I would try to do something else that covers up in another way as far as the large surface areas (maybe some pictures, photos or other decorations). You never know when the oak might finally look good to you.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Well, Pat, you will have to talk Linda into it, if she is still nixing the idea, and get an Oliver later.
Hi Cathy . When others make judgements about Oliver being expensive they need to kind of know the facts . For instance it takes 12-14 weeks to build your trailer . Some of the items on trailer , aluminum frame , double hull , shocks , electric bottom jacks ,lights in all cabinets with electrical access, , sliding battery tray for 4 batteries , high end marine hardware , 6 in cushions etc. , etc. you can get on your roof , 4 season .
Nope we aren't getting one . It's a no unless, I win the lottery . But I can dream . Sitting in one it is very , very quiet and comfortable . When I was younger I hated modern . Now I love simple and modern . Yup your tastes change . But the price of the Oliver is based on a very different built trailer and is in a class by itself and can't be compared to the other fiberglass trailers. Well back to my dreaming . Pat
Old 03-10-2017, 01:14 AM   #66

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
If I didn't like the way the "faux wood" finish of the cabinets look, I think I'd try covering the cabinetry façade with wallpaper instead of paint. Lots of wallpapers available for creating whatever look you wanted...

You could then either paint the oak doors/drawer fronts or, as someone else suggested, replace them with another material.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:22 AM   #67

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Or, you could just close your eyes.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:18 AM   #68

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Cathy . When others make judgements about Oliver being expensive they need to kind of know the facts . For instance it takes 12-14 weeks to build your trailer . Some of the items on trailer , aluminum frame , double hull , shocks , electric bottom jacks ,lights in all cabinets with electrical access, , sliding battery tray for 4 batteries , high end marine hardware , 6 in cushions etc. , etc. you can get on your roof , 4 season .
Nope we aren't getting one . It's a no unless, I win the lottery . But I can dream . Sitting in one it is very , very quiet and comfortable . When I was younger I hated modern . Now I love simple and modern . Yup your tastes change . But the price of the Oliver is based on a very different built trailer and is in a class by itself and can't be compared to the other fiberglass trailers. Well back to my dreaming . Pat
Pat, you might look into a used one at a later date. You probably know that a little while back, the prices increased suddenly a great deal. One of the earliest 23's should cost much less. Of course, those big prices they give for the base don't include several important options so the prices are even much higher than a price that they would quote. But the earlier ones are less. Some of those have gone up for sale. I hope you get yourself an Oliver some time. You never know.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #69

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5584.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	22430When we redid our kitchen in our home a bunch of years back, we put in oak kitchen cabinets, installed oak six panel doors on all our rooms, put in oak baseboards, and arched window and ceiling crown moldings, an oak staircase and a custom made by Pete, oak fireplace. A few years later we also put in maple floors and a custom designed Amish birch shelf units. We love the look of all wood and visually delight in all the varied and beautiful wood grains of different woods. But that doesn't mean, - at all, -that we dislike painted wood surfaces. We really like that look too and might one day, consider doing something to change the oak cabinets in our upcoming 21 trailer. Pete painted our oak dining room breakfront (the first furniture piece that we had bought when newlyweds 39 years ago) using Anne Sloan Chalk Paint and then painted over the door fronts and panels in a tropical Hawaiian style using the same acrylic paints he uses for his impressionistic art. It went from a piece of furniture stored in the garage that we were unable to no longer use ( no dining room) to an unique TV stand in our guest room. (The Hawaiian print on the cabinets doors match pillows and the room's decor. )
You might want to google painting cabinets and the vinyl surfaces with Anne Sloan
Chalk Paint. Not sure how that works but there's no stripping, no priming, no smell. From our experiences with it, it seems to cover everything and all finishes, and once you wax it, seems to stay on forever without chipping or care.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:24 AM   #70

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrgtic4 View Post
Attachment 22430When we redid our kitchen in our home a bunch of years back, we put in oak kitchen cabinets, installed oak six panel doors on all our rooms, put in oak baseboards, and arched window and ceiling crown moldings, an oak staircase and a custom made by Pete, oak fireplace. A few years later we also put in maple floors and a custom designed Amish birch shelf units. We love the look of all wood and visually delight in all the varied and beautiful wood grains of different woods. But that doesn't mean, - at all, -that we dislike painted wood surfaces. We really like that look too and might one day, consider doing something to change the oak cabinets in our upcoming 21 trailer. Pete painted our oak dining room breakfront (the first furniture piece that we had bought when newlyweds 39 years ago) using Anne Sloan Chalk Paint and then painted over the door fronts and panels in a tropical Hawaiian style using the same acrylic paints he uses for his impressionistic art. It went from a piece of furniture stored in the garage that we were unable to no longer use ( no dining room) to an unique TV stand in our guest room. (The Hawaiian print on the cabinets doors match pillows and the room's decor. )
You might want to google painting cabinets and the vinyl surfaces with Anne Sloan
Chalk Paint. Not sure how that works but there's no stripping, no priming, no smell. From our experiences with it, it seems to cover everything and all finishes, and once you wax it, seems to stay on forever without chipping or care.

Very cool !!!
Old 03-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #71

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If I remember correctly this chalk paint is the same as "antiquing" which was a big fad in the 60' and 70's to make newer furniture to look older, using one or two finishes to give it the antique look.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:19 AM   #72

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
Thanks Gabi,
I know the TV cabinet is kind of funky looking, and "out there" looking, but so is the rest of our "guest room" It used to be my daughter's room and we decided once she was grown to not repaint it and just cherish it's weird charm :-)
Old 03-10-2017, 11:43 AM   #73

Quote:
Thanks Gabi,
I know the TV cabinet is kind of funky looking, and "out there" looking, but so is the rest of our "guest room" It used to be my daughter's room and we decided once she was grown to not repaint it and just cherish it's weird charm :-)
Life without art and whimsy is kind of sterile ..... I think that is a special piece .
Old 03-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Life without art and whimsy is kind of sterile ..... I think that is a special piece .
I so agree about life without art and whimsy

Pete just finished painting one of my mom's old chairs
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5597.jpg  
Old 03-10-2017, 01:00 PM   #75

Quote:

That's fabulous , is that painted on fabric?
Old 03-10-2017, 01:10 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
That's fabulous , is that painted on fabric?
It is. When my mom passed away, we sold/gave away a lot of her furniture but wanted to do something special with her two favorite chairs. We first reupholstered them in a plain canvas fabric and then Pete painted them with his acrylics. Here's a photo of her other one that Pete painted that is in our living room. He put a finish on them so they can be sat on without the paint wearing off.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1158a.jpg  
Old 03-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #77

Quote:
It is. When my mom passed away, we sold/gave away a lot of her furniture but wanted to do something special with her two favorite chairs. We first reupholstered them in a plain canvas fabric and then Pete painted them with his acrylics. Here's a photo of her other one that Pete painted that is in our living room. He put a finish on them so they can be sat on without the paint wearing off.
That is really beautiful , such a lovely thing to have and be able to do .Thanks for sharing .
Old 03-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #78

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Great work on the chairs.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #79

Quote:

Beautiful work ! Pat
Old 03-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #80

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Gorgeous! I have zero artistic talent, and am in awe of those that do!
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabinetry, cabinets, interior, paint