Putting drawers under bed. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2020, 10:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 19 foot
Putting drawers under bed.

Can someone tell me how thick the sub floor is under the bed of 19 foot. Wanted to mount a bracket with some screws. I know the water tank is mounted underneath.
Attached Thumbnails
40ADBFC9-D95F-44A6-9F35-12F5D76E7758.jpg  
Czechhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
One half inch.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #3

Thanks that’s what I thought. So should be safe with 1/2 screws. Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:43 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When I first saw this thread title I thought..........why would anyone try to put their drawers on while under the bed.................
Old 04-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #5

Lol Guess I should have been more accurate with my description. Lol but that just made me laugh.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #6

Trailer: Shopping Escape 19's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechhome View Post
Can someone tell me how thick the sub floor is under the bed of 19 foot. Wanted to mount a bracket with some screws. I know the water tank is mounted underneath.
This photo is helpful. I'm looking for more of what is under the bed because I'm thinking of buying a gently used 19' and totally modifying the bed area. Am worried that there is too much there that needs moving around for my ideas.
plus3feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:39 AM   #7

Welcome Jeff,
To our Escape world. Under the bed there are some structural components that can not be removed, they were installed by the factory to add rigidity and support to the fiberglass shell. Basically anything wider than the cabinet doors underneath the bed needs to stay, otherwise you walls may flex too much while on the road.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:32 PM   #8

Thanks for responding so quickly. I'm going to reveal my idea and ask you if it's achievable in some shape, manner, or form.

Replace queen mattress with 2 split queen mattresses. Remove the doors and some part of the frame around them. During the day, pick up the first mattress and stack it on top of the other one by the back window. Then I would have a RV table handy that I'd snap in on either the foot or head side so that I have a standing 'desk' to work from during the day.

In other words, I basically opened up the floor by about 30" x 30" to walk into, turn 90 degrees to face my laptop and work.

The question becomes, is this structurally impossible? If not, what plumbing or wiring or structural components must be moved and how complex is the DIY project?

Thoughts?
Old 06-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21NE
You could just quit work and remove the need to remodel...
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:07 PM   #10

There are water and electrical lines running across that opening, so you would have to route them to rear and around the back and then towards the kitchen. I think you want 2 twin beds and stack one one the other to allow a 30" recess area to work, 2 queen beds would not work.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There are water and electrical lines running across that opening, so you would have to route them to rear and around the back and then towards the kitchen. I think you want 2 twin beds and stack one one the other to allow a 30" recess area to work, 2 queen beds would not work.
I wouldn't use twin. I said I'd use 2 split queen mattresses. They are 80" x 30".

Sounds like my plan could work, with some work! Thanks for your advice. I'll keep planning and soon I'll be shopping my Escape!
Old 06-24-2020, 05:05 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Ask for Escape to change the queen bed to a 4 person dinette, that way they will do all the correct routing for you. Then ask for that dinette table to be cut into two sections, and not to put in the posts. You will use one half of the dinette table to support one split queen mattress, and the second half you can remove whenever you want to stack the mattresses. You are probably going to have to order your own mattresses - they told me they are no longer doing custom mattresses. Since you do not need the cushions for that rear dinette, they may give you a break on the price. The rear dinette that I am getting for my 21NE is a US$360 option.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:27 PM   #13

Creative idea! Thank you.