Range Hood light - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
kym

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Range Hood light

In our 17B and now in our 5.0TA we often found the light in the range hood did little more than eliminate shadows on the stove top. The other day we finally found a replacement LED bulb for the incandescent 921 bulb as provided. We live in Powell River with few specialty shops for many things but found the 921WLED that makes a big difference. Lordco Auto Parts sold me 2 for $14.80 cdn. Worth the extra cost.
kym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 17B, 2011 Honda Ridgeline
We are on our 3rd range hood bulb replacement and totally agree with the lack of illumination of the original bulbs and found the trailer shops always asking about wattage of the bulb. Is the bulb you found identified only by the #921WLED or did you also size it by wattage?
bolerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:52 PM   #3
kym

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
The previous replacement bulbs I have used were a long life incandescent bulb made by Sylvania 579LL; they were rated as 12.8 V 10.2 W drawing .85 amp; they lasted long enough but provided little illumination.
The LED bulbs I just picked up do not have a wattage rating on the package only the 12 V rating(Phillips). My understanding is that LEDs use much less power with greater illumination; without an amperage or wattage listing there is no way to calculate further.
Looking through trailer documentation provided I don't have any specs on the range hood other than it operates on 12 V as per the trailer owners manual. I can't see the wattage on the LED bulb being a problem -time will tell as we use it but there is no issue now.
Sorry not to be able to answer your question better.
Ken
kym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kym View Post
The LED bulbs I just picked up do not have a wattage rating on the package only the 12 V rating(Phillips). My understanding is that LEDs use much less power with greater illumination; without an amperage or wattage listing there is no way to calculate further.
With LED’s forget about wattage in relation to light output. Some list an incandescent equivalent but that can be misleading. Shop based on lumens. The higher the number the brighter the bulb. For perspective I gave a 360 lumen bulb for the range hood away to another forum member and he said it is working well and much brighter than the original. Also if you want a look of warm white similar to incandescent then buy a bulb with a color temperature around 2700-3000K.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
For 12V DC, figure about ½ Watt per LED, so if, for instance, you have one like mine, it has 6 LEDs in a ring, so..about 3 Watts. If left on 24/7, it uses about 6 Amps/day.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote