Reese Goosebox on a 5.0 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2020, 10:50 PM   #21

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
I too investigated the Goosebox when I was deciding how to hitch my 5.0TA to my truck. I read many reviews including, if I remember correctly, a person on this forum who was happy with his. I'm aware of the stress concerns that some have expressed but it is anecdotal since not seriously tested on an Escape.

The Goosebox does leave more room in mid-bed that Andersen and regular fifth-wheel hitches. What made me finally reject the goose box for our situation is that when connecting and disconnecting from the tow vehicle, a path in the rear bed of the truck needs to be keep clear, almost down to the bed floor. I'm planning to have some permanent storage across my bed rear so the goose box wouldn't work for me.

I'm eager to hear about results form someone bold enough to try a Goosebox on their 5.0TA.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:41 AM   #22

Trailer: none yet
Thanks HawkeyeEZ
Glad to hear some encouraging news.
I will not let the storage issue discourage me.
I feel the Benefits out weigh the any disadvantage.
It may be some time before this whole thing comes through as I have only just begun the process.
Now I will continue to move forward and will share my results if and when I get my rig.
Thanks for your reply
84Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:41 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Zulu View Post
Thanks HawkeyeEZ
Glad to hear some encouraging news.
It may be some time before this whole thing comes through as I have only just begun the process.
Now I will continue to move forward and will share my results if and when I get my rig.
Thanks for your reply
Exactly what are the benefits? You have to remove everything behind the ball just to hitch up, the sweep of the hitch so low in the bed will really limit what you can carry as well as possibly limiting how much you can turn due to interference with truck side walls. I think you will find that the Anderson hitch allows more use of the bed than the goose neck and without putting extra stress on the actual trailer frame.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:48 AM   #24

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
We didn't let the mythical "storage issues" prevent us from getting a 5.0. We were just in Chiricahua National Monument and, because of this and other threads, one morning I looked at a number of campers with pull trailers. Most had toppers. Except for one camper (our friends Ed and Therese) with bikes in the back, none had anymore than we could hold in our 5.0 and Ed and Therese could always put their bikes on the back of their camper if needed. There is an amazing amount of space in front of the Andersen 5th wheel hitch to put large items if needed and perhaps a square foot is lost because of the hitch. We can carry two trikes in the pickup bed if we wish and bikes/trikes on the back (and many here do).

Yes, there are exceptions, such as canoes and long kayak's that can present a problem, so if that's you, then a pull is in your plans. Also, there are those who carry the kitchen sink and there's no hope for them anyway.

We do carry items in waterproof containers back there when needed and have a tonneau cover when the camper is back at the campground to prevent opportunity theft. I know of two who have had their toppers broken into because they could see through the glass of the topper and wanted the item (both were generators). Topper or tonneau cover doesn't matter. If they want in they'll go there. Opportunity theft is 99% of the thefts at a campground or parking lot and I'll take the invisibility of a tonneau cover over a topper with glass any day. I've had both.

Of the 15 campers we've owned, only two have been 5th wheels. We're happy with both, but don't let the mythical "storage issues" determine your choice (OK, canoes & kayaks). Make your choice on other real issues. We've had crawl over beds and one or both of us sleeping directly next the wall. For us, the full size queen with 13" of space to throw our arms and legs was only fulfilled by the 5.0. Others have different priorities. Choose wisely!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 03-02-2020, 09:51 PM   #25

https://youtu.be/D1xyuW0VsaU
Whatch from minute 10:31
Old 03-03-2020, 07:03 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
https://youtu.be/D1xyuW0VsaU
Whatch from minute 10:31
🤔 Interesting, if I had a a trailer that was 2 or 3 time’s heavier than my 5.0 the air cushion might be a necessary item and I might go to the trouble of hooking up an air line and adding an onboard compressor. If I had a heavy hitch which was a pain to get in and out I might consider this. The issues that this hitch is supposed to address are not issues you have with the Escape 5.0TA and especially if you use the Anderson.
My hitch I believe weighs 38 lbs, I can easily lift it and still hold my beer in the other hand. In over 10k of towing I have never experienced any bucking, so a problem I don’t have, don’t need fixing. It also looks to me like you need more space in your bed to allow for the sweep of hitch, chains and airline. On my Anderson I even use the space available under the ball mount for my levelers. For my needs it’s more important how much room I have when towing, the space the rails take up when hitch is removed is a nonissue, if it was I would consider the aluminum frame Anderson designed for the ball mount.
The Anderson hitch has 3 different height adjustments changed by simply pulling a pin, the pin adapter can be mounted either ahead of the pin or behind the pin. The hitch itself is offset and can be installed either way, allowing you some flexibility in the hookup. The actual ball coupling has a cone which allows you to off center by about 3” when coupling. The ball never needs lubing ( the one in the video seemed to be making a lot of noise). So the goose neck is more expensive, requires air adjustments, and no height adjustments, limits useable space and solves problems I never had. Guess I’m not convinced.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:20 PM   #27

You have some very valid points!
Will keep them in mind when I’m thinking things through.
Thanks !!!

Tags
5.0 mods, gooseneck