Revisiting the "Back Stabbers" - the blind hold-downs - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2024, 03:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Revisiting the "Back Stabbers" - the blind hold-downs

Hi all, I have a 2012 17B and last year finally removed the hold down knobs on the blinds that had repeatedly stabbed us in the back over the prior 11 years I used a suggestion that someone posted here to rewind the cords in a different way to create enough tension to work the blind.

WELL -- it worked on half of them.

The other half are now in a pile in my entryway - the cords slipped and unless I can rethread, these are toast.

So I'm curious - if I have to replace these - has anyone got a different solution if I want cellular shades that don't flap when I'm driving? I'm thinking I'd replace with the kind that just pull down and lock - then maybe put velcro under the wall under the camper's window AND on the wall-facing bit of metal on bottom of the shade so that I can smack them together when needed?

And does anyone have a rec for reasonable replacements (via Amazon or whatever?)

Thanks,
Anti-Back-Stabbing Elizabeth
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 03:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I just took the tensioners down, cut them shorter, and reinstalled them. The don’t stick out very far now except I didn’t shorten the ones at the kitchen window since I didn’t have any reason to do so.
Old 03-26-2024, 03:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 E19 "Escape Haven"
If I'm reading correctly, it seems the cords have come out of the blinds on half of them? Yikes!
Not sure if this helps, but I replaced all backstabbers with shorter ones that I secured on the back of each metal fin, instead of the front. Used a wooden button on the front instead of a washer. Has worked for the past 3 years. If you re-thread your blinds or get new ones, you might want to give this a try.
Link to short spool I used...
https://www.amazon.com/Pleated-Windo...07TSH7DM1&th=1
Side and front photos...
Attached Thumbnails
back of spooly.jpg   wooden button.jpg  
OneCentHillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 07:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
I would recommend taking them to a blinds place and they will rethread them they can do all kind of stuff to blinds that are hard if you don't know the techniques or have the proper tools. It should be pretty cheap as well as I expect they don't need any parts.

Interesting about the back stabber thing, we have yet to stab ourselves on one, I guess we'll have to just keep trying Is it a problem when the cushions are being used for the bed? We haven't really ever used the dinette except with the back cushions in place.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 09:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCentHillman View Post
Not sure if this helps, but I replaced all backstabbers with shorter ones that I secured on the back of each metal fin, instead of the front.
Wow - brilliant! I may give this a try ...

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2024, 09:13 AM   #6

Great idea - will look for a joint that does this today!
Old 03-27-2024, 11:01 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
I

Interesting about the back stabber thing, we have yet to stab ourselves on one, I guess we'll have to just keep trying.

Get adventurous DanandDaphne! Try some new positions!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 11:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Quote:
Originally Posted by medora View Post
Hi all, I have a 2012 17B and last year finally removed the hold down knobs on the blinds that had repeatedly stabbed us in the back over the prior 11 years I used a suggestion that someone posted here to rewind the cords in a different way to create enough tension to work the blind.

The other half are now in a pile in my entryway - the cords slipped and unless I can rethread, these are toast.
Thanks,
It sounds as if you missed the part about securing the blinds full up. You can buy string kits for re-stringing the blinds, I cannot imagine it is that hard to do.

If the blinds are in valances, then dual roller shades would work, the valance containing the shades. I put them in my motor home to replace some rather dirty and stained accordion shades. I always put the shades up before I towed, to keep them from flopping around.

Tons of videos on re stringing pleated RV shades

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...leated+shades+

Charles
Old 03-28-2024, 12:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by medora View Post

So I'm curious - if I have to replace these - has anyone got a different solution if I want cellular shades that don't flap when I'm driving? I'm thinking I'd replace with the kind that just pull down and lock - then maybe put velcro under the wall under the camper's window AND on the wall-facing bit of metal on bottom of the shade so that I can smack them together when needed?

And does anyone have a rec for reasonable replacements (via Amazon or whatever?)

Thanks,
Google the company that makes the blinds...they sell a restringing kit and it is pretty easy. They have a video as well.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote