Stove and Oven or Stove and Convection Microwave? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2021, 07:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Question Stove and Oven or Stove and Convection Microwave?

Hi Folks, planning our build and we are trying to figure out the best option for cooking inside the Escape 19. We've seen there is a 3 burner stove with oven option, or the standard stove with a microwave/convection oven option. There just isn't much information on the stove/oven version that I can find.

What is the best option of the two approaches? I've seen talk of completely different options that we'd have to install ourselves, and we're open to those ideas as well. We like quality and space saving. Two burners would be fine. Thanks for any help!
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
It's cool that you are exploring options, this reply is not an answer to the question at hand but a note of caution about the 'big picture' ...

I note that you've made several posts about appliances and options which are available as either 'electric-centric' or 'propane-centric/option' energy source.

I might suggest that as part of your explorations you always keep in mind the aggregate effect energy source on your choices, and vice-versa. That is, particularly with regard to electric-centric items, carefully consider how you hope to use those items, their power demands, and how you will satisfy those for all of your camping scenarios (with/without hookups, etc).

Electric and propane both have their pros and cons, I'm not advocating for either or a particular 'mix'. Just suggesting that you not lose sight of the bigger energy source picture as you look at individual energy-consuming components. There's ways to 'renew' both propane and electric energy sources, but some are more dependent on environmental conditions that others and some contingencies involve running a generator which isn't always 'situation friendly'.

Just for your consideration, Have Fun!
Old 07-03-2021, 09:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
It's cool that you are exploring options, this reply is not an answer to the question at hand but a note of caution about the 'big picture' ...

I note that you've made several posts about appliances and options which are available as either 'electric-centric' or 'propane-centric/option' energy source.

I might suggest that as part of your explorations you always keep in mind the aggregate effect energy source on your choices, and vice-versa. That is, particularly with regard to electric-centric items, carefully consider how you hope to use those items, their power demands, and how you will satisfy those for all of your camping scenarios (with/without hookups, etc).

Electric and propane both have their pros and cons, I'm not advocating for either or a particular 'mix'. Just suggesting that you not lose sight of the bigger energy source picture as you look at individual energy-consuming components. There's ways to 'renew' both propane and electric energy sources, but some are more dependent on environmental conditions that others and some contingencies involve running a generator which isn't always 'situation friendly'.

Just for your consideration, Have Fun!
Thanks, and yes, these thoughts come to mind. Part of this search is to see what the various options are and the pros and cons of them, specifically, because you can't get much information of that sort from the company. So we're relying on the kindness of the people who are experienced here to help us make the best informed decisions we can make. I'm big on research.
Old 07-04-2021, 05:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
A question with an answer that only you can answer, based on your expectations of how you will use your trailer. The oven takes up a lot of storage space, but some of that space can be utilized when the oven is not in use. In many cases, it has to be preheated, and in summer months can add heat to the trailer’s interior. But it runs on propane, and can be used off grid. The microwave is smaller, but requires AC power. But a small inverter generator, e.g., the Honda EU2200i can power the microwave or an air conditioner (not running at the same time) and is not really loud. So where do you expect to set up your trailer and how do you like to cook? My best advice is to consider how you function in the kitchen at home. Which do you use more, the oven or a microwave? Combine the answer to those questions and it should be relatively easy to come up with your own answer. For the record, we do the majority of our cooking on a Weber Q grill, including baking cookies, cornbread, etc. With a little experimentation, this is a relatively easy process to learn. We have a standard microwave (non-convection) that we sometimes use when we are rained out. But again, you are the best judge of your wants and needs, so rely on your intuition rather than the suggestions of others (some may tell you, get the oven; we love ours and use it all the time while others will tell you that ordering it was a mistake). In the final analysis, if you frequently bake items when at home you already know which way to go. And it really is not an either/or situation.
Old 07-04-2021, 07:38 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My first Escape had an oven, never used it and never optioned again, awaiting on #5 right now....
Old 07-04-2021, 08:07 AM   #6

At home we use the oven, including a convection oven, most. We use the microwave mostly to heat up coffee and leftovers. We'd like that ability camping, as well as the ability to make brownies, etc. We plan to have the solar package and will have a small generator. It sounds like the stove and convection microwave would be the best bet for us.
Old 07-04-2021, 03:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Every owner has differing needs. One can get ideas from others, but in the end needs to decide what best meets their own style and needs.

For us a microwave is just not needed as we tend to drink our coffee when camping when it is fresh. Not needed for cooking for us either.

I installed a stove with oven combo for my wife at her request, and I sure do love the stuff the oven produces. I went with a two burner stovetop as we never need more than that.

Still, far more meals and coffee is made outside. So much nicer to be out there, lots of room with wonderful views. Best place to eat too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 03:07 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I like Jim's way of thinking.........
Old 07-04-2021, 03:37 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
indeed, we use the propane oven in our escape probably more often than the stove top. hardly ever use the microwave.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 03:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
In our E21C, our Microwave gets the most use, the stovetop second-most and the oven third. However, neither stovetop of microwave can do what the oven does and we make good use of the oven. Get all three would be my advice. I'd advise against a convection oven simply because you would need shore power to operate it. The microwave can be run off the inverter so no power issue with that.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 03:55 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorSP View Post
At home we use the oven, including a convection oven, most. We use the microwave mostly to heat up coffee and leftovers. We'd like that ability camping, as well as the ability to make brownies, etc. We plan to have the solar package and will have a small generator. It sounds like the stove and convection microwave would be the best bet for us.
Our oven and microwave use is like yours. We use the oven in the trailer often and wouldn't want to be without it. The ability to use the microwave occasionally in the trailer on the inverter is really handy to us - and the basic solar + 6 volt batteries handle the stock microwave just fine. A convection microwave would require a bigger inverter and lithium batteries and seems like overkill given that we have the regular oven. We do not use a generator - really dislike the noise of a running generator. The solar and inverter meet all our other needs, we are willing to live without being able to run AC when boondocking.
Old 07-04-2021, 04:42 PM   #12

Wink

Yeah, obviously the outdoors is where we will do our cooking when possible. I read a lot of people's responses to questions along that line of thought on other people's posts. It is, however, a likelihood that we will cook inside the trailer from time to time, so that's why I'm hoping to find the best option for that. If what could be done outside was relevant to what could be done inside, there could be an argument made that you don't more than a utility trailer to carry your tent and other camp gear.

Thanks for the helpful responses!
Old 07-04-2021, 05:02 PM   #13

Aside from the usage of a microwave one might get, a huge issue is needing 120V to operate. Unless you plan to frequent RV parks or campgrounds with hookups it will not get used.

For most folks I know it is mostly for reheating at home, while meal sizing when in the trailer is or practice. For us, at home lots of leftovers, travelling none.

We could get by just fine with no oven, but Lisa loves to roast and bake, and I love to eat it. We used to bake in the BBQ, but this is nicer. [emoji4]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-04-2021, 05:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorSP View Post
It is, however, a likelihood that we will cook inside the trailer from time to time, so that's why I'm hoping to find the best option for that.
This is inevitable. Bad weather is the primary reason for us. Sometimes Lisa will cook something inside while I am out BBQing something else. And sometimes, for no good reason, she kicks me out, so I need something to do. [emoji16]
Old 07-04-2021, 06:16 PM   #15

Ok, so now I'm convinced the other way.

I think we'll go with the stove and oven combo. We really wouldn't have a lot of use for the microwave on the road.

Now, that being said, how good is the optional stove/oven combo from ETI?
Old 07-05-2021, 11:09 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
Keep in mind that a propane stove isn't really the equivalent of your stove at home. For one thing, it runs "open loop". What I mean by that is, the temperature setting is just an estimate and controls the amount of gas being burnt, but there is no thermostat cycling the heat, so it isn't really controlled they way a normal stove is. Ultimately for me this means using a thermometer in the oven and checking it occasionally and making adjustments - no big deal and the pizza and cookies we typically make are just fine. It does take a good amount of time to heat up though - plan in advance. Also lighting the pilot is a bit of a pain. But in the end I'm glad we ordered it.
daniel108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 11:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel108 View Post
Keep in mind that a propane stove isn't really the equivalent of your stove at home. For one thing, it runs "open loop". What I mean by that is, the temperature setting is just an estimate and controls the amount of gas being burnt, but there is no thermostat cycling the heat, so it isn't really controlled they way a normal stove is. Ultimately for me this means using a thermometer in the oven and checking it occasionally and making adjustments - no big deal and the pizza and cookies we typically make are just fine. It does take a good amount of time to heat up though - plan in advance. Also lighting the pilot is a bit of a pain. But in the end I'm glad we ordered it.
Thanks! I assume that means the black, 3 burner one from ETI?
Old 07-05-2021, 11:15 AM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
the Atwood propane oven in our E21 has a thermostat. the stove top doesn't, but neither does any other gas stove I've ever had, nor for that matter does the 1970-ish Jenn-Aire electric stovetop we currently have at home.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 01:18 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
You might also consider the loss of drawers the oven (and likely the combined microwave/convection oven) requires. I looked at the amount of lost storage, and, since I wanted the optional larger refrigerator, changed from my original reversed bed/dinette 19 to a 21C. My main reason for moving from a 17B to the 21C was to get an oven.

My Atwood oven does have a thermostat, holds temperature well, is a pain to light, and until I added a ceramic pizza stone, did uneven baking. I first tried a soapstone pizza stone & it was in pieces after the first trip.
Old 07-30-2022, 12:25 AM   #20

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Gas vs. Convection Oven?

Those of you who have either kind of oven in your trailer, what do you cook or bake in it? Do you have experience regularly baking using the convection microwave?

The most important thing to me will be to bake bread. I've made my own sprouted whole grain sandwich bread for most of 20 years, and am disappointed with 98% of the bread I find in grocery stores. I'm thinking that the convection microwave will be better for this than the gas ovens ETI offers.

I figure that baking bread is something I would only do where I had full hookups. So while I expect to order the inverter and at least two lithium batteries, I would not use that to bake bread. I bake my bread now in an older electric oven. I've never tried a convection oven, but by many accounts good bread can be baked in a convection microwave.

Currently I'm thinking about ordering the ENO cooktop with the convection microwave under it. Do you have this?
SteveSgt is offline   Reply With Quote