Wiring for a cell booster - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2021, 05:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Wiring for a cell booster

Reace glassed-in the wiring for and installed on the driver’s side a trucker antenna I supplied when he built my 2017 17 B. I’ve had no problems at all with leaks but I understand that ETI doesn’t want to glass in optional wiring to the outside nowadays.

I’ve heard it said elsewhere that one might be able to use the optional TV cable wiring as an external socket to hook up to the outside cell booster antenna (apparently improved now), and then use the wiring‘s interior tv socket as the inside connection to the booster itself. Would that work or are the socket sizes and wiring types incompatible for a cell booster? We actually never use the wiring to hook up to tv service at a campsite. Just thought I could double-purpose that wiring.

Thanks for advice!
Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
Reace glassed-in the wiring for and installed on the driver’s side a trucker antenna I supplied when he built my 2017 17 B. I’ve had no problems at all with leaks but I understand that ETI doesn’t want to glass in optional wiring to the outside nowadays.

I’ve heard it said elsewhere that one might be able to use the optional TV cable wiring as an external socket to hook up to the outside cell booster antenna (apparently improved now), and then use the wiring‘s interior tv socket as the inside connection to the booster itself. Would that work or are the socket sizes and wiring types incompatible for a cell booster? We actually never use the wiring to hook up to tv service at a campsite. Just thought I could double-purpose that wiring.

Thanks for advice!
Jonathan
That depends on the model & make of your booster. Most of the newest ones use low loss RG6 75 ohm cable which is compatible with TV cable & connectors. I don't know if Escape uses RG6 or RG 59 for the internal TV wiring in their trailers. If they use RG 59, that is a higher loss cable, and not recommended for cell boosters.

Others use 50 ohm cable with a variety of connectors. I would stick with the cable impedance designed for your system.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:24 AM   #3

Jon, would you happen to know if low loss RG6 75 ohm cable, suitable for a cell phone booster, would be incompatible with possibly using the glassed-in wiring eventually also for TV connection, its original purpose?

If not, I’m thinking to ask ETI to use the better cable when they install the TV option in my gestating 5.0. Then I’d have a socket welded onto the bumper, get a collapsible flagpole to fit in it to support one of those new-fangled cell antennas, then maybe pick up the waves better!
Jonathan
Old 01-16-2021, 12:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
RG6 is a better cable for both cell phone antenna runs & TV. No idea whether Escape uses it for all their wiring rather than RG59. Depending on the antenna selected, you may need to deal with different connectors. Another point - some antennas come with permanently attached cables.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:09 PM   #5

Trailer: Planning to buy 19' Escape
Hello all.
Just came across this thread and it is talking about the cell booster installation I am working on right now. I have a couple questions. I have the outside tv jack (which I don't use) and I can see the cable used by Escape is RG6. So if I put cell booster in driver's side cabinet at foot end of bed in my 19 I can connect to the tv antenna jack there. But where is it best to get the 12 volt power to the booster? There is a plug there but it is on the 120 system.

I was thinking to put the booster under the bed, disconnect the RG6 to the outside tv jack, put in a new RG6 cable that runs only the short distance to the booster. Then get 12 volt power by wiring into the 12 volt wires under bed. Or maybe pop up through bed board to the cigarette lighter fitting we had installed for the passenger side of the bed. Comments?

Finally I was thinking about getting a hitch mount pole holder and putting up telescoping pole for antenna. Where is best place to get that. I looked at a site called "Poles and Holders" and they have a 22' telescoping fiberglass pole. It is about 1.8 inches thick at bottom and 1" thick at top. I have a Wilson directional antenna ( like a big bat wing) and am wondering if pole might be to flexible. What are people using?

Thanks. Can.t wait to hit the road in 2021.
Di28429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:25 AM   #6

Hi di28429!

Take a look at these two threads: Problem Solving/Antenna Mounting Pole and Modifications and Alterations/Connecting to external cell antenna
Happy trails!
Jonathan
Old 04-22-2021, 01:38 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
Hi di28429!

Take a look at these two threads: Problem Solving/Antenna Mounting Pole and Modifications and Alterations/Connecting to external cell antenna
Happy trails!
Jonathan
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ole-20442.html
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...nna-20114.html
Old 04-23-2021, 04:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 [August]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di28429 View Post
Hello all.
Just came across this thread and it is talking about the cell booster installation I am working on right now. I have a couple questions. I have the outside tv jack (which I don't use) and I can see the cable used by Escape is RG6. So if I put cell booster in driver's side cabinet at foot end of bed in my 19 I can connect to the tv antenna jack there. But where is it best to get the 12 volt power to the booster? There is a plug there but it is on the 120 system.

I was thinking to put the booster under the bed, disconnect the RG6 to the outside tv jack, put in a new RG6 cable that runs only the short distance to the booster. Then get 12 volt power by wiring into the 12 volt wires under bed. Or maybe pop up through bed board to the cigarette lighter fitting we had installed for the passenger side of the bed. Comments?

Finally I was thinking about getting a hitch mount pole holder and putting up telescoping pole for antenna. Where is best place to get that. I looked at a site called "Poles and Holders" and they have a 22' telescoping fiberglass pole. It is about 1.8 inches thick at bottom and 1" thick at top. I have a Wilson directional antenna ( like a big bat wing) and am wondering if pole might be to flexible. What are people using?

Thanks. Can.t wait to hit the road in 2021.
Finalizing my 5.0 build by next week for a mid-August delivery. I'm requesting ETI to add the double coax connector to the location they would normally run the TV coax to and the single coax connector to the driver-side rear for a second booster antenna hookup location in case that provides an improved antenna positioning location. Both independent coax lines to be RG6 (which I have been told is what they use for the TV line as well). I haven't gotten the final approval for the outlet connectors but they also haven't said no. Both of these are made by the same people that make the SmartPlug 30 amp power connector which ETI will not install.
Attached Thumbnails
SmartPlug Dual Coax.jpg   SmartPlug Single Coax.jpg  
gjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote