17B Upsize tires? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2023, 07:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
17B Upsize tires?

I recently purchased a 2010 17B, and it's got 205/75R14 tires that appear to still be original from 2010. While they appear to be in good condition, I consider them to be ticking time bombs and intend to replace ASAP.

I intend to use this trailer in "good winter driving" conditions, late winter early spring, and as such would like to get some tires with decent cold weather performance - I'll happily sacrifice some tire life for this.

A friend suggested to look into LT all terrain tires, and while there is nothing in a 14" rim, a 15" opens up some options. For example, the BFG All Terrain KO2 in a 215/75R15. These have a max load of 1765lbs at 50psi, load range C. Seems like they would satisfy the 3500lb axle rating on the trailer.

The 215/75R15 size increases the diameter by about 1.6". I know the newer trailers all came with 205/75R15, which are about an inch bigger than the 14s.
Does anyone know if the wheel wells were changed/enlarged to accommodate the 15" rim?

Anyone see any other flaws in my thinking? I know there will be a bit more rolling resistance and fuel mileage may take a bit of a hit. If the tires fit, the trailer will sit a little less than an inch higher.
cgstoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 08:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgstoker View Post
I recently purchased a 2010 17B, and it's got 205/75R14 tires that appear to still be original from 2010. While they appear to be in good condition, I consider them to be ticking time bombs and intend to replace ASAP.

I intend to use this trailer in "good winter driving" conditions, late winter early spring, and as such would like to get some tires with decent cold weather performance - I'll happily sacrifice some tire life for this.

A friend suggested to look into LT all terrain tires, and while there is nothing in a 14" rim, a 15" opens up some options. For example, the BFG All Terrain KO2 in a 215/75R15. These have a max load of 1765lbs at 50psi, load range C. Seems like they would satisfy the 3500lb axle rating on the trailer.

The 215/75R15 size increases the diameter by about 1.6". I know the newer trailers all came with 205/75R15, which are about an inch bigger than the 14s.
Does anyone know if the wheel wells were changed/enlarged to accommodate the 15" rim?

Anyone see any other flaws in my thinking? I know there will be a bit more rolling resistance and fuel mileage may take a bit of a hit. If the tires fit, the trailer will sit a little less than an inch higher.

We have a 2005 17B without the axle drop and it has 205/75R15. As you can see from the picture, it's a tight fit and I suspect that the tire may touch the front of the wheel well when at max GVW and a good dip at speed. I don't think 215's would work without installing the 2 inch axle drop.
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer tire.jpg  
Old 11-01-2023, 08:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
See post #5 and 6. It shouldn’t be an issue. The trailer mold was not changed when Escape went to the 15” rim. In the off chance you have a clearance issue you can always add lift blocks.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post192341
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...hoCHSsQAvD_BwE
Old 11-01-2023, 09:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Rockcrawler View Post
We have a 2005 17B without the axle drop and it has 205/75R15. As you can see from the picture, it's a tight fit and I suspect that the tire may touch the front of the wheel well when at max GVW and a good dip at speed. I don't think 215's would work without installing the 2 inch axle drop.
The very early 17’s have tighter wheel well clearance than later years. I think Reace started experimenting with a different start angle on the Torflex axle to get more clearance. The comparison of a 2005 to 2010 is likely not apples-to-apples.
Old 11-01-2023, 09:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
All terrain tires won't do anything for the trailer. I suspect it doesn't need traction that the AT's provide. Why do you say that the "tires appear to be original from 2010" ? have you checked the date codes on the tires?

Charles
Old 11-01-2023, 10:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
See post #5 and 6. It shouldn’t be an issue. The trailer mold was not changed when Escape went to the 15” rim. In the off chance you have a clearance issue you can always add lift blocks.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post192341
Thanks for the links. This is good news (although maybe not for my wallet...).
Old 11-01-2023, 10:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
All terrain tires won't do anything for the trailer. I suspect it doesn't need traction that the AT's provide. Why do you say that the "tires appear to be original from 2010" ? have you checked the date codes on the tires?

Charles
Yes, the date code is 2410 on the one I can see, so 24th week of 2010 if I'm reading it right.

I was thinking that the additional cold-weather traction would help keep the trailer in line when braking down hill, and at least do something to prevent a lockup of the trailer wheels if they hit a patch of ice or slush. No ABS on the trailer...
Old 11-02-2023, 08:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
In the off chance you have a clearance issue you can always add lift blocks.

I am not familiar with the 2010s or the 17' trailers BUT are you guys sure it has the torflex axles? The stated lift kit will work if it does.

I ask because when I looked into lifting the body of my 2015 5.0TA I found it has the beam axles and leaf springs, requiring dropping the axles below the springs rather than a lift kit. Not a big deal, just a different way to gain clearance and a lot more of it. Dropping the axles raised the trailer 4.5"

Just asking.
Old 11-02-2023, 08:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
I am not familiar with the 2010s or the 17' trailers BUT are you guys sure it has the torflex axles? The stated lift kit will work if it does.

I ask because when I looked into lifting the body of my 2015 5.0TA I found it has the beam axles and leaf springs, requiring dropping the axles below the springs rather than a lift kit. Not a big deal, just a different way to gain clearance and a lot more of it. Dropping the axles raised the trailer 4.5"

Just asking.
I can guarantee it has the Dexter Torflex axle. The leaf springs were only used on the 5.0TA and only for a year or two if I recall correctly. With the lift kit on the Torflex one would see about 2-5/8" lift of the frame/body. Axle tube clearance obviously remains the same unless taller tires are used.
Old 11-07-2023, 08:35 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
The topic of using LT tires on a camper nearly caused the Rpod forum to melt down a couple of years ago. Some said only ST tires should be used, others said LT tires were just fine. Based on discussions with two tire shops that specialize in RV tires and discussions with Forest River (who uses LT tires on their Wolf Pup series as well as others), here are a couple of bits of info to keep in mind should you decide to use LT tires.

1) LT tires have high max inflation psi, so make sure the wheel is rated at the PSI you plan on running and that you have a valve stem rated at that PSI as well. Typical rubber valve stems are only rated at 65psi.

2) LT tires should be used only when an equivalent sized ST tire is not available. In the case of the Rpod, the camper rolled 235/75 15 stock. The only available tire in that size was the Westlake (stock on the Rpod) which had a reputation for being the proverbial "China Bomb.

In the end I put Falken Wildpeak LT tires on the Rpod before a trip the PNW. I ran the tires at 60psi and checked temps regularly. They ran at around 125F-135F with ambient temps in the 80's.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 04:29 PM   #11

Dredging up a topic from a few months ago here, but I've decided to not do the LT tires, the perceived benefits did not outweigh the cost.

I'm now considering upsizing to 215/75R14 trailer tires. Gets a tiny bit extra ground clearance and a bit more contact patch.

Does anyone know if the 10mm extra width would cause any problems?
Old 03-03-2024, 05:16 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgstoker View Post
Dredging up a topic from a few months ago here, but I've decided to not do the LT tires, the perceived benefits did not outweigh the cost.

I'm now considering upsizing to 215/75R14 trailer tires. Gets a tiny bit extra ground clearance and a bit more contact patch.

Does anyone know if the 10mm extra width would cause any problems?
Personally, I don't think it will be a big deal, but I don't have a 17B.

I'm going to be in the hunt for new tires once my axle situation is resolved. Right now I am leaning towards the Green Ball Tow Master from Costco. Not much on those tires on the Escape forum but they seem to get good reviews on other forums plus they have been sold at Costco for years. I know the Goodyear Endurance tire is highly recommended on the Escape forum because it is made in the USA, but then so is the 737 Max
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
17b, tires