19’/21’ escape with motorcycle - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2022, 01:58 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2006
Question 19’/21’ escape with motorcycle

Has anyone tried adding a motorcycle tray/rack on the front of trailer? My bike only weighs 240 lbs. I know I would have to relocate propane bottles. I also would have to upgrade my hitch on truck because of added tongue weight. I’m looking at getting an escape and interested in doing this. Currently I have a casita and carry my bike in truck bed. It’s not convenient. A friend of mine who has tent trailer added a tray on the front of his and relocated the propane. My casita does not have enough room even with propane gone. Escapes look to have enough room if storage and propane are gone. It would be a welded on tray for bike.
Bodhi290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 02:17 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome Dustin, to our little fiberglass world. Sometimes we have to leave some of our toys at home when Escaping.......! I sold my Harley when I bought my first Escape....
Old 08-26-2022, 02:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Met a couple from B.C. with two small Yamahas & an Escape 19. One was on the rear of the trailer- must have had the rear bumper beefed up and the other on a rack on the front of their truck.
Old 08-26-2022, 03:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Welcome Dustin, to our little fiberglass world. Sometimes we have to leave some of our toys at home when Escaping.......! I sold my Harley when I bought my first Escape....
At 940# my Goldwing is never going to hitch a ride on the trailer.

I miss the old days, with a m/c trailer and a small camper we could take the bike South to the twisty roads and sunshine. Would I trade the small camper and bike for traveling far and wide in the Escape. Not so much.

So now the Goldwing stays close to home which isn't all that bad. We do have some scenic roads close by and 3 times this week we've headed off for day outings.

Adding a bike rack to the front and removing or forgoing the tongue box and relocating the propane tanks, maybe to the rear would only be a net increase in tongue weight of about 100# so I think that could be dealt with fairly easily.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 04:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi290 View Post
... My bike only weighs 240 lbs. ...
Just curious, what's the bike?
Old 08-28-2022, 10:06 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17B, April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
And sometimes toys are the *reason* to have an Escape trailer!

We tow our 17’ Escape with a 4WD Sprinter Van. Van is loaded with two dirt bikes & all the associated gear. Trailer is the means to live while we’re playing with our toys.
KLRchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 10:28 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I still have my Harley, just segregate riding and camping in the Escape. If your bike is that light put it in the back of your tow vehicle if you think you need to take it with you. Mounting on the tongue of the trailer doesn’t seem like a great idea from a logistical or weight point of view
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 01:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi290 View Post
... Currently I have a casita and carry my bike in truck bed. It’s not convenient. ....
I get it, I pulled a 2005 Casita and carried a ~200# Honda Ruckus or XR100 'paddock bike' in the bed of my F150 for many years while officiating at motorcycle roadraces. Nope, not convenient from several perspectives as you well know, but like you with that rig it was the only alternative.

More than a few folks in the paddock had a bike-rail with chock & ramp across the tongue of their RV or enclosed utility trailers, a setup that worked well and I often envied. So nice to have a much lower load-height and not have tailgate issues / loading rail at an awkward angle if one wants to use the bike with the trailer hitched. It also opens the possibility of a bed tonneau-cover or cap if so inclined. All great conveniences.

I hope you can work-out a solution that works for you. If you can keep the trailer and truck within their respective various weight limits and maintain reasonable turning clearances it's a nice arrangement for a small bike. IMO high tongue-weight is not an issue as long as you can trim the rig with your WDH.

Good Luck!