19' table - slides too tight and binds - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 19'
19' table - slides too tight and binds

When we picked up our new 19’ in August of this year we noticed the table was wobbly. Sitting on the floor working on a refrigerator mod I noticed a gap between the table slide and the plywood table top.

Tightening the screws I found that every screw was lose ½ turn +/-.

After tightening them up I slid it back together with some effort. Now it’s so tight that it binds/ slides/ binds. I carefully cleaned the tracks and some lubricant came off on the rag. Nothing improved.

Has anyone else found loose screws? Table top too loose or too tight? It looks to me like the original setup was slightly off and someone loosened all the screws so the table would slide smoothly.

Time to make some adjustments to the alignment but I don't see an easy way to do it other then replacing the plywood spacer and drilling new holes.

Mel K
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Half a turn of the screw thread might be about the thickness of a washer - have you considered removing the screws replacing them with a washer inserted between the parts at each screw to open up the space? Just a thought...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Consider moving the tracks over a half inch or so and abandon the poor workmanship. I'd draw new lines that are actually parallel and remount the slides, making sure they work smoothly before reinstalling the table top.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Klem... Our table slides fore n aft and I needed a little more room to get in at the table. I had to mount them farther forward (1 & 1/2") so the table would go further aft. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Consider moving the tracks over a half inch or so and abandon the poor workmanship. I'd draw new lines that are actually parallel and remount the slides, making sure they work smoothly before reinstalling the table top.
Ditto, the most common reason for binding in these types of situations is that the tracks aren't parallel.

The wobble is another matter. This has been dealth with in several different ways. If you search you'll various ways it has been dealth with.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:27 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Are the tracks plastic, I think mine are. Over tightening could deform the plastic, how about backing off a smidgen.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Are the tracks plastic, I think mine are. Over tightening could deform the plastic, how about backing off a smidgen.
Thanks for the clues and ideas. I looked it over carefully and found 2 of the pedestal mounting screws forcing the plastic to deform. Took them out and it slides better, I'll grind them off and put them back in. I wish the builder had noticed that instead of loosening all the screws ... unless the wobbling causes the screws to all loosen?

So now I'll try to come up with a better idea for the bolt that you screw into to 'lock' the table from sliding. It's forcing the plywood to strain the plastic and also results in wood flakes coming lose from the plywood and falling on the floor.

I'm getting very disappointed with the number of things that are too loose, too tight, too flimsy, etc. The trailer looks great but obviously they are trying to cut costs and some of the builders are not taking the time to make sure things are correctly done.

I spent days on the refrigerator trying to bring it up to Dometic installation specs, that's another story ....

Mel
Old 11-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
T
So now I'll try to come up with a better idea for the bolt that you screw into to 'lock' the table from sliding. It's forcing the plywood to strain the plastic and also results in wood flakes coming lose from the plywood and falling on the floor.

Mel
I had the same concern, the tighter you make it the more it wants to tear the screws out. After it had fallen out multiple times I stopped using it. Thousands of miles with the table unlocked and no issues. I do, however, have a custom pedestal with no wobble. Not sure how leaving it unlocked with a wobbley pedestal would work. There seems to be enough resistance to sliding that it probably won't move much.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Thanks for the clues and ideas. I looked it over carefully and found 2 of the pedestal mounting screws forcing the plastic to deform. Took them out and it slides better, I'll grind them off and put them back in. I wish the builder had noticed that instead of loosening all the screws ... unless the wobbling causes the screws to all loosen?

I'm getting very disappointed with the number of things that are too loose, too tight, too flimsy, etc. The trailer looks great but obviously they are trying to cut costs and some of the builders are not taking the time to make sure things are correctly done.

I spent days on the refrigerator trying to bring it up to Dometic installation specs, that's another story ....

Mel
I hope you have let ETI know, as they are very conscientious and they want to produce perfect products.
I have found they will make every effort to rectify problems.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Not my idea, but this is what I used. There are step by step instructions around somewhere.

Fastec Brushed Nickel Bunk Bed Slide Lock Set | Mobile Home Parts Store
Old 11-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
I hope you have let ETI know, as they are very conscientious and they want to produce perfect products.
This is something else I did, sent them a list of things I thought should be looked at.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
What we did and it works great .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #13

The bunk latch
Old 11-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Not my idea, but this is what I used. There are step by step instructions around somewhere.

Fastec Brushed Nickel Bunk Bed Slide Lock Set | Mobile Home Parts Store
Looks good Thanks!

Pat and Linda, is this what you used too?

So now I'm down to the wobble ... will look through the previous posts or just let it go for now.

Mel K
Old 11-14-2014, 06:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
ETI is great to work with and I communicate with them when needed (like the refrigerator). But I don't want to pester them with 'small things'.

Nothing built will ever be 'perfect' and I don't expect it. By putting our heads together 'we' come up with some clever solutions.

In this case it's great to have this Forum to find solutions for things that bother me and some folks ... but may be fine for others.

Thanks All

Mel K
Old 11-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I almost went overkill and installed two real under-drawer drawer slides, but after I reduced the leg wobble the plastic slides binding was practically nil, so wifey said "good enough."
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0645.jpg  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:02 PM   #17

Yes that is it .
Old 11-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't think we yet know if this "solution" is effective.
What I do know is that somehow this thread on table slides has ended up behind the fridge.
Can the site folks move the refrigerator posts to my Tinkering with the 6.7 thread?
Old 11-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I will, but if you find something astray, it's because I'm not going to read them all again.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I will, but if you find something astray, it's because I'm not going to read them all again.
Nice job! Thank you.

Funny you would say 'if you find something astray' ... I think 'astray' so it all makes sense to me