2018 F150 electrical issues - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2022, 10:53 PM   #21
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
David,

Not sure if I understand your situation, but could the wiring in the 7-pin trailer junction box be suspect? I found some of the ring terminals nearly touching (i.e., shorting) when re-wiring for my current Li system. Have you tried to connect your truck to another 7-pin to see if the problem is in the truck or trailer?
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 07:23 AM   #22

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA View Post
David,

Not sure if I understand your situation, but could the wiring in the 7-pin trailer junction box be suspect? I found some of the ring terminals nearly touching (i.e., shorting) when re-wiring for my current Li system. Have you tried to connect your truck to another 7-pin to see if the problem is in the truck or trailer?
Definitely the truck, not the trailer. The truck malfunction occurs without the trailer when just hooked up to a tester.
Old 01-02-2022, 10:25 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
A previous post mentioned battery and for a 2018 Ford with a big AGM that is likely, yet will cost much more than $100. There is a LOT of parasitic draw from so many different places on these vehicles nowadays.

My first awareness of this issue and reading about probable battery failure was with my wife's RX350. Normally you can walk up to the locked car with a fob in your pocket or purse and just touch the door handle to unlock. When that started becoming intermittent a dying battery is said to be a common cause. Since her battery was 5 years old I just went down to Costco and bought one for about $100. No more issues with unlocking.

My Expedition (F-150 from the dash forward) has much better working door handle unlocking ability, and is 2 years old. When I had a dead battery recently I trickle charged it overnight read a lot of info on the Expedtion Forum and see that Ford has been having to warranty some of these big AGM batteries, which are covered under the bumper to bumper for 36K/3 years. Out of warranty the average cost to have a Ford dealer replace it is about $275. Costco doesn't have these yet. You can buy the Ford Motorcraft battery from Rock Auto for $170.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/mo...0,battery,2476

With my battery issue I went to Autozone the next day after charging and their tester showed 78% charged and said "Bad Battery". Thought I was going to get a free one from the Ford Dealer, yet they called me up and said they found a loose ground and wondered if I had serviced the battery. It was no charge though and a month later it is still fine. They do have much better testing equipment and is a reminder that you can't always believe what average testers and OBDII diagnostic results are.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:07 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 21 in future I hope
Best to go back to the Dealer and ask them to troubleshoot the problem. This is the only way to proceed. When you reconnect your battery you may find no trouble found. Good luck.
Earthspun is offline   Reply With Quote