Adding a "stripper Pole"? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2022, 11:54 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 E19
Adding a "stripper Pole"?

I took my 2014 E19 to my brother's in Wis. He has a blacktop drive(I have awful gravel). So been trying to wash & then wax at least front(bugs) & roof. I do not have a stripper pole in it. While on the ladder, I noticed evidence of water pooling. I didn't go up as wind was howling, & fiberglass waxed!!! Can tell the roof has dropped right at that point the pole is in others. Now notice it from the inside. Has anyone added a pole to their's that didn't have one? Can't be good for snow load, or was caused by snow load. If so any ideas of what to use?
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
They never put the pole in the 19 for quite a while. It would be easy to add one if you wanted, just as a temporary support raising the roof the amount you like, then cut the metal one to length and install. Mine was left out of my 5.0TA so I could do some cabinetry work and I then installed it myself.

Man, I travel hundreds of kilometres a year on gravel road with no issue. [emoji16]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
You have good instincts. Prior to the stripper pole there were some problems in that area.

I added one to my 19. What I didn't like about the factory version was the fact that it was in the way of using the flip up counter extension.

So I designed one that angled towards the exterior making room for a dishpan.

The factory version can be made with boat rail fittings available from any marine store.

I considered just pressing and bending the ends but since I have a TIG welder I fabricated bases for the pole.

Notice the towel rack on the door. Makes a great door handle, much easier to grab in a hurry if the winds blowing.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0032rotated_resize.jpg   IMGP0033rotated.jpg   IMGP0034rotated_resize.jpg   IMGP0036_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
You have good instincts. Prior to the stripper pole there were some problems in that area.

I added one to my 19. What I didn't like about the factory version was the fact that it was in the way of using the flip up counter extension.

So I designed one that angled towards the exterior making room for a dishpan.

The factory version can be made with boat rail fittings available from any marine store.

I considered just pressing and bending the ends but since I have a TIG welder I fabricated bases for the pole.

Notice the towel rack on the door. Makes a great door handle, much easier to grab in a hurry if the winds blowing.

Ron

WOW! great idea to angle the pole!! I put a towel bar on my door yesterday! & a white plastic grab bar on the right side, for going down mostly. Will be redoing the whole counter when I get home. New formica, turning the stove 90*, bigger extension, pull out cutting board(or another counter extension) space between sink & newly turned stove, & at least wire for pop up electrical while top is off. Do you think I could just bend beat(I used to shoe my own horse, have small anvil), then drill holes in what I see you pictured? Or do you know off hand what is the angle 60?, to buy a fitted base, not a 45.

https://www.ebay.com/sme/usmall88/Bu...p2047675.m2197
Old 05-10-2022, 01:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I could have used a cut down shower pole but had some spare canopy frame tubing. No problems.
Attached Thumbnails
stripper1.jpg  
Old 05-10-2022, 03:46 PM   #6

As far as smacking the tube with a hammer goes, it's not ideal but can be done. If it's thin wall tube it can be flattened with a vice and be a little bit neater.

I'm not sure if the 60* fittings would work of not. I'd just use a stick mockup to see if it's suitable.

Yes, turning the stove 90* is useful. We had that setup in our 19 for several years and didn't find any downside and it does give a little much needed counter space.

Here's another 19 related mod that adds much needed place to hang extra dish towels etc. Being fairly long it allows for the towels simply to be slid sideways if under counter access is required.

Ron

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P4300083_resize.jpg  
Old 05-10-2022, 07:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
If I was adding a stripper pole I would use a pair of shower pole brackets to locate it into position. There are a few styles to select from.
Attached Thumbnails
DCE445C9-1CBD-4C11-8406-6F7150D78726.jpeg   439CC5B4-CA2A-4B35-B6A8-CA9BECE48A25.jpeg   8DAE797D-08F5-42C6-BB45-35576FC7704A.jpeg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 01:19 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
When ever I store my trailer, I store it tongue down. I have 2 holes where the front tires sit so the load is the same on both axles. Storing nose down lets the water run off and if it leaks like my 17B, the water runs to the front and out the front corners.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
As far as smacking the tube with a hammer goes, it's not ideal but can be done. If it's thin wall tube it can be flattened with a vice and be a little neater.

Ron

I have those towel bars in my master bathroom!

We used to bend our own flashing & all. Hammer hitting a block of wood. I have a vice, so maybe "wood pads" on it would soften the lines of the bends too, as it compresses.

So there are more than a few, who added a stripper pole.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
When ever I store my trailer, I store it tongue down. I have 2 holes where the front tires sit so the load is the same on both axles. Storing nose down lets the water run off and if it leaks like my 17B, the water runs to the front and out the front corners.

It doesn't leak, but, we have had up to 15" of heavy wet snow(I have had major evergreen tree damage) And if the roof is already concave? It is not going to slid off easily. Snow piles up on a vehicle...... It will be awhile before I can store mine in my equipment shed. I have to move a pasture fence & 8' gate back, to get the swing room to back it it up. Not backing it up 1500', "S" curves, around evergreens, etc.! Also working on pouring a cement floor(plastic under cement). Has a dirt floor now, winter condensation on inside of metal roofing, will rot purlins at some point, if I don't. Have to dig the dirt down & out for the cement, to keep my height under header. Was built for my Rialta.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
If I was adding a stripper pole I would use a pair of shower pole brackets to locate it into position. There are a few styles to select from.

I have now been looking around at "poles" with brackets, and have seen the heavy looking one ETI puts in. I think I want to go as narrow diameter as I can. Would have to be a fairly heavy gauge then. The narrowest boat rail seems to be 7/8", so far...............
Old 05-11-2022, 10:21 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
The brackets that I posted are just to keep the pole located in the correct position.

For the pole I would be tempted to use a hardwood dowel or handle…like a shovel handle. If a person wants something shiny, they could put the hardwood dowel inside of a shower curtain bar.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Trials View Post
I have now been looking around at "poles" with brackets, and have seen the heavy looking one ETI puts in. I think I want to go as narrow diameter as I can. Would have to be a fairly heavy gauge then. The narrowest boat rail seems to be 7/8", so far...............
That's 7/8" tube in my photo. The 1" seemed a little overkill.

You could flatten the ends with a vice. If the tube isn't seamless then look in the end and see where the seam is. The only thing that can go wrong is if the seam is where the edge of the flattened area is it can crack.

Also, I've PM'd you.

Ron
Old 05-25-2022, 10:47 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I've often wondered about support in this area and didn't know ETI added a pole at some point. Is this a common retrofit now? I like the diagonal version as that space with the fold up table is prime real estate for our electric kettle and toaster in the mornings.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:54 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
I feel like I should start with "The short story... I found a modular stripper pole"

We own a 2015 E19, which came sans pole. I have noticed pooling on the roof above the location that the pole was added to later builds. I wanted a pole, but didn't want to commit to it being there all the time. I found this on amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a: "Doorway Chin Up Pull Up Bar." The length is adjusted by rotating the middle relative to an end. It is easy to adjust and provides plenty of pressure. It has good quality rubber ends and when installed with a fair bit of pressure has never fallen out.

I've been using it for 3 years. I can control the tension or remove the pole in a matter of seconds.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davin View Post
We own a 2015 E19, which came sans pole. I have noticed pooling on the roof above the location that the pole was added to later builds. I wanted a pole, but didn't want to commit to it being there all the time. I found this on amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a: "Doorway Chin Up Pull Up Bar." The length is adjusted by rotating the middle relative to an end. It is easy to adjust and provides plenty of pressure. It has good quality rubber ends and when installed with a fair bit of pressure has never fallen out.

I've been using it for 3 years. I can control the tension or remove the pole in a matter of seconds.
Thanks, Davin. I'll check it out. Still hate to give up that counter space, but it's a lot less intrusive than our old Scamp had.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote