Another escape hatch issue - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2021, 04:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Another escape hatch issue

I have a 2017 5.0TA. The escape hatch lid over the bed is cracked. The hatch is a Heng’s 17”X 24”. I need a replacement lid. The exact dimensions of the lid are 25 1/8” X 18”. I’ve searched several websites looking for a replacement but can only find larger or smaller sizes. I have sent a message to both ETI and Heng’s for help finding a replacement but haven’t yet heard back from either. Has anyone replaced their escape lid on 5.0 TA or know of a vendor?
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have this one, haven't put it on yet, bought in advance. I think someone here told us this is the one to get.... it's the right outside dimensions, same as you've given:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:22 PM   #3

Donna, I saw that one. Amazon describes it as 15x 22. Yet the actual dimensions in the illustrations are 25 1/8" x 18" ....... the inside dimensions of my hatch are 17 x 24. Hence my hesitation to purchase that particular one. If the actual physical dimensions are in fact 25 1/8 x 18 , it's probably the correct lid.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:43 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Fortunately Amazon has a pretty liberal return policy. Especially if the dimensions are incorrect.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 5.0
I just replaced mine, this is the one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got that link direct from ETI, and it worked perfect. I was hesitant as well because of those listed dimensions, but trust me it's the one!
Old 09-22-2021, 08:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark&Elaine View Post
Donna, I saw that one. Amazon describes it as 15x 22. Yet the actual dimensions in the illustrations are 25 1/8" x 18" ....... the inside dimensions of my hatch are 17 x 24. Hence my hesitation to purchase that particular one. If the actual physical dimensions are in fact 25 1/8 x 18 , it's probably the correct lid.
Donna has quoted the correct replacement hatch. While it doesn’t make sense to any logically thinking person, the hatch size is not determined by the dimensions of the lid but rather the size of the cutout that the assembly fits in. Part of the foam gasket will have to be torn out to access the fasteners. When replacing the lid, do not try to install the gasket before attaching it. Rather, it is much easier to open the lid and kneel on the bed and put the foam gasket in place after the replacement hatch is installed. Then crank the lid closed to apply even pressure all around to the adhesive surfaces.

The Heng’s lids are rather flimsy and typically crack on the front center vertical edge. They can be patched with a 6-inch length of 1-inch by 1/8-inch thick aluminum. Because there is a rivet on the cover, a dimple needs to be drilled at the midpoint of the aluminum strip, approximately 5/16th of an inch from the bottom so that the strip will sit flat over the rivet. The dimple should not completely penetrate the aluminum and should be done with a large bit like a 1/2-inch bit so it fits over the rivet. It is most easily done on a drill press. Then the side of the aluminum strip can be “buttered” with Proflex and applied over the cracked area, like a Band-aid. It can be held in place with masking tape until the Proflex hardens. 1/8” plexiglass can also be used. Patching the hatch lid will extend its life for 3 or 4 years unless the hatch gets hit by some foreign object. If it were not dark now, I would take and post a photo of my “reinforced” lid. I have put aluminum patches on two escape hatch lids.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:39 AM   #7

The first photo is my original Heng’s hatch, patched at the front as I have described above. The patch did nothing to prevent the damage caused by a falling tree limb which fortunately only damaged the lid. Clear Gorilla tape promoted as waterproof kept the lid from leaking for three weeks until I was able to get a replacement.

The second photo shows the replacement, recently patched with an aluminum Bandaid when I noted it was cracking around the rivet, just as the original lid had cracked. The second replacement is stored in the garage should the first replacement deteriorate to the degree that it is not serviceable!

Note that I did not use as long a strip of aluminum on the replacement as I used on the original.
Attached Thumbnails
9DC243EA-59C4-41A9-9CD3-C46998DA6610.jpeg   0EDFF024-2132-4DD4-9DF0-ED57573FD02F.jpeg  
Old 09-23-2021, 10:28 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
I like it 😎
Just noticed a crack the other day while washing.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:58 PM   #9

Looks like Donna's link and mine are for the same exact product, just different sellers...either one will work! For the quality and longevity of the thing, that $76 price seems really high to me, but I couldn't find it anywhere else cheaper...
Old 09-23-2021, 03:09 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
Looks like Donna's link and mine are for the same exact product, just different sellers...either one will work! For the quality and longevity of the thing, that $76 price seems really high to me, but I couldn't find it anywhere else cheaper...
Does anyone make a polycarbonate lid? This would provide for a much more durable product than the polypropylene lids.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Does anyone make a polycarbonate lid? This would provide for a much more durable product than the polypropylene lids.
I'd love any sort of alternative like that, but I wasn't able to find any that would be an exact fit...
Old 09-23-2021, 06:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
I'd love any sort of alternative like that, but I wasn't able to find any that would be an exact fit...
I wonder if you sent your lid to a company like this if they would make you one?
https://www.eztopsworldwide.com/rvskylights.htm
Old 09-23-2021, 08:16 PM   #13

Quote:
I wonder if you sent your lid to a company like this if they would make you one?
https://www.eztopsworldwide.com/rvskylights.htm
Very interesting...it might be neat to have a clear one to watch the stars at night, with a shade that could be drawn during the day...
Old 09-23-2021, 10:21 PM   #14

Got this message from Heng’s....Mark,
If the lid is 25 1/8” x 18, that measurement is consistent with our escape hatch 58621-c2 15x22. That lid part number is 90008-C1.
The 17x24 escape hatch lid measures 19 5/8” x 26 3/8” and that part number is 90088-C1.
Both lids are out of stock, and we do not know when exactly they will be in. Could be 4 months before we get them.

Thank you,

Kim Grantham
Customer Service
Heng’s Industries
(574) 295-1200
Old 09-23-2021, 10:29 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that this one was polycarbonate but I could be wrong. I wanted something more robust, especially after I cracked the original. I guess the I shouldn't have used a hoe to smack and break up the ice on the roof.

Photo is somewhat distorted but they were the same size and an easy swap.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0057_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm pretty sure that this one was polycarbonate but I could be wrong. I wanted something more robust, especially after I cracked the original. I guess the I shouldn't have used a hoe to smack and break up the ice on the roof.

Photo is somewhat distorted but they were the same size and an easy swap.

Ron
Ron, perhaps you could post the source where you obtained the lid you believe is polycarbonate. I think many people would attempt the conversion given that the original Heng’s lids are, well, junk. And apparently their supply chain has dried up. I recommend people who are replacing them purchase two as it is almost a sure thing that at some point it will need to be replaced again.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:20 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Can't remember if it was Camping World or Amazon, it was a few years ago.

Try looking for "Camco 40161/40168 Polycarbonate......"

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 02:48 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
It’s a good idea to spray a couple of coats of Krylon Fusion paint on the new hatch before mounting. If I took the time to clear today’s snow off, ours still looks brand new after seven years.

The snow is supposed to turn to rain later today, with the trailer going into storage next week for the winter. Another season behind us.

I like bikes!
Attached Thumbnails
B60B8512-0AB3-4BEF-9F13-B0A00D1778C3.jpg  
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 03:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK snowbiker View Post
It’s a good idea to spray a couple of coats of Krylon Fusion paint on the new hatch before mounting. If I took the time to clear today’s snow off, ours still looks brand new after seven years.

The snow is supposed to turn to rain later today, with the trailer going into storage next week for the winter. Another season behind us.

I like bikes!
Scott, I agree a couple of coats of Krylon will make it look good, but I do not believe paint alone will stop what appears to be stress cracking at the very front on either side of the rivet located in the center. Have you examined your lid in that area closely? I’m really curious if you have had better luck than me. Both of my lids developed tiny cracks in that area.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Can't remember if it was Camping World or Amazon, it was a few years ago.

Try looking for "Camco 40161/40168 Polycarbonate......"

Ron
I checked that lid on Amazon, and it appears (at least to me) to be the square lid for a vent fan. The flimsy Heng’s lid in question is rectangular and fits the so-called “escape hatch” over the bed in 5.0TA.