Apparent "Go Power" PWM Problem - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2023, 03:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Apparent "Go Power" PWM Problem

As this is my first post.. my apologies for not prior introducing myself. My name is Will.. aka "Ausman". We have an 2016 E19 and live in Nevada.. close to Lake Tahoe. Picked up the E19 in July of this year. Moved up from a 17' Casita. We had always wanted an Escape.. but our dollars kept up from getting one until we ran across the one we picked up. It was located close to us and we just had to make the leap by robbing Peter to pay for an Escape!!

A couple weeks back I removed the two 6v lead-acid batteries.. put them on the bench and attached a smart battery charger in order to de-sulfate and charge them to an optimum level. Had them out for about a week. Since then I have read that you can damage the PWM controller by not having a battery connected. Hooked up the batteries and all seemed A-Ok.

Well when I went into the trailer this morning I immediately noticed that the display mounted on the drivers side dinette vertical panel was blank and always was reading E0. Additionally the display on the PWM controller was not reading as it had a week ago. Before it was "100%" all the time.. which I believe was a correct reading. This morning.. only reading "0.6a"

So any truth that I might have scrambled the controller and maybe even a few more things? I am quite savvy on electrical. However I am totally new to solar. Headed back over to the RV storage and start looking at some voltage readings.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom that can be sent in my direction!
Ausman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 05:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 E19
In the event that your trip to the storage yard didn't resolve the issue, I'd try resetting the GoPower controller. YouTube has several videos for hard and soft resetting. Next time over to the trailer, bring your multimeter and some tools in order to check voltage at the batteries, cutoff switch, controller input voltage from the solar panel, output voltage from the controller, the transfer switch, and if you have one, the two breakers in the little grey box under the seat. When my GoPower controller failed the smoke test, GoPower sent me a replacement w/o any documentation of failure on my end. If the little display module has gone up in smoke, it is readily replaceable.
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 06:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 17B
The display will show different data fields, I think a touch of the A or B button will cycle through the display. Let us know if you are still having issues.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 06:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Ausman, I disconnected my Go Power PWM controller when I changed batteries and have also done so at other times. Each time I reconnect, it defaults to amp display rather than cycling though volts, amps and % soc. So a continuous indication of "0.6a" is possibly quite normal.

I don't have instructions in front of me but the Go Power manual for your model number explains how to reset the continuous cycling through volts, amps and % soc. I think your controller is probably protected and I doubt it is damaged. If you didn't get a manual with your used trailer you might go to the Go Power website and download one for your model number. It will explain these things to you.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 06:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
If you have no luck on the Go Power website, PM me and I can email you a manual for a 2015 GP-PWM-30, likely the same as yours.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 01:13 AM   #6

Thanks to everyone for the great replies. They are truly appreciated! With my Fluke meter in hand yesterday afternoon I checked all points that were accessible for a voltage reading. There is only a drop of voltage around .05 vdc at the furthest check from the battery. Otherwise all checks indicated that the wiring system is very healthy.

Headed back over tomorrow to apply a "soft reset" and then a "hard reset" on the PWM. I will post my results of positive or negative conclusions!!

Thanks.. Ausman
Old 12-30-2023, 01:39 AM   #7

Spent a little bit of problem solving time this morning on the E19 and the minor electrical glitch. On the PWM I disconnected 4 wires.. +-battery connections as well as the +- Solar connections which equaled a hard reset. After 15 minutes had passed I hooked the wires back up and all was well.

The display for the Progressive Industries EMS system was also an easy fix. I determined that the RJ11 jack that plugs into the EMS from the display needed a replacement jack. Put a new one on the display wire and lo and behold we have scrolling LED data once again.

So it turns out there were two problems and all is well now. Thanks for the help to all who posted on this thread. I am sure it won't be the last time I need clarification!
Old 12-30-2023, 01:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausman View Post
Well when I went into the trailer this morning I immediately noticed that the display mounted on the drivers side dinette vertical panel was blank and always was reading E0. Additionally the display on the PWM controller was not reading as it had a week ago. Before it was "100%" all the time.. which I believe was a correct reading. This morning.. only reading "0.6a"
The display that shows E0 is for the 120 volt shore power EMS and won't show anything unless the trailer is plugged in.

The PMW controller has multiple screens. You can set it to rotate through them or manually step through them. You had it set to display battery charge (100%) before and now you have it displaying charging amperage (0.6 amps).

Everything is normal in my opinion.

Solar Controller and Accessories: Complete User Manuals
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 01:30 AM   #9

Thanks again for chiming in with suggestions. One thing I failed to mention.. when I initially posted my minor electrical glitch.. the E19 was plugged into shore power. The PWM Controller was stuck on .6amp and it would not change to any of the other data points. After the hard reset I was able to select the different feedback values and have it scroll thru on its own. Before I did the reset.. not so on the point of having selections.

The EMS controller was working fine as near as I could tell on the initial look thru. However NO display even tho' I was plugged into 120 vac. After wiggling.. shoving in firmly I got a couple partial quick displays. Which is what led me to replacing the RJ11 jack on the display to control unit wire. After I crimped on a new one.. no problem.. readout stayed constant.

I have no idea or clue as to why the PWM locked up and at the same time the EMS display jack decided to get wonky. Okay by me.. at least now I know a little bit more about my E19 electrical system than I did the day before.
Old 12-31-2023, 12:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012 E19
Coincidental happenstance. Unless one believes in gremlins!
Old 12-31-2023, 02:35 PM   #11

Yep.. Gremlins! Also Ghosts.. Trolls and other assorted creepy things that cause all types of unexplainable happenings. Which coincedently they live under my bed.. well 'er they used to way back when.