Awning motor - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Awning motor

Anyone know the amp draw for the awning motor? I'm guessing about 2-3 amps. My awning hesitated retracting my last trip ( about 5 sec) and the alternate retracting methods raced thru my mind. The wind had not closed it at any time so the hesitation did not come from that source.

I going to make some wires to connect to the awning from my battery and put an inline switch in the wire to activate it after I'm all hooked up, hence the amp question. If I'm ready for it, it will not happen. Everyone knows that!

Next time I'm down around my trailer I'm going to watch my Victron while extending and retracting the sucker.

On something else. When I was installing my Victron last week I was checking the cabinets above the dinette looking how to run the comm cable up if I installed the monitor above. I don't use these cabinets so hadn't noticed the coil of wires up there.

In the rear corner of the cabinets on the passenger side is a coil of wires. I can't get my head up there close enough to even get a glimpse of them. I don't think it's a 12v ready connection as I have all the 12v optional outlets.

A puzzlement! Any thoughts?
Old 10-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post

On something else. When I was installing my Victron last week I was checking the cabinets above the dinette looking how to run the comm cable up if I installed the monitor above. I don't use these cabinets so hadn't noticed the coil of wires up there.

In the rear corner of the cabinets on the passenger side is a coil of wires. I can't get my head up there close enough to even get a glimpse of them. I don't think it's a 12v ready connection as I have all the 12v optional outlets.

A puzzlement! Any thoughts?
It is probably "rear camera ready' wire connected to the 7pin trailer connecter. Look at the build sheet for the trailer.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
It is probably "rear camera ready' wire connected to the 7pin trailer connecter. Look at the build sheet for the trailer.
Nope. I got the camera. Wish I didn't!
Old 10-17-2020, 10:21 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Did you get stereo ready? My 5.0 had small spools of wire in the cabinet above the table for speakers.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Did you get stereo ready? My 5.0 had small spools of wire in the cabinet above the table for speakers.
I didn't ask for stereo but stuff happens as we all know. When I'm in my trailer again I'm going to uncoil the wires, pull them out and try to decide what they are for.

Maybe a clue there!
Old 10-17-2020, 12:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Anyone know the amp draw for the awning motor?
FWIW, page 3 of the Dometic 9500E Installation Instructions (click to enlarge to a readable size):
Attached Thumbnails
Pages from 9500E INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS.png  
Old 10-17-2020, 12:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
FWIW, page 3 of the Dometic 9500E Installation Instructions (click to enlarge to a readable size):
Thanks. I have the 9500E manual rev D ,3/19 and page 3 is not the same as yours. I'm sure the required power is the same.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:43 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Thanks. I have the 9500E manual rev D and page 3 is not the same as yours. I'm sure the required power is the same.
No worries

You may be looking at the "Operating Instructions" document which doesn't include the power specifications. I clipped a page from the "Installation Instructions" document which I had previously downloaded from Dometic's website

(I was looking for exactly the info you are seeking)
Old 10-17-2020, 01:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
No worries

You may be looking at the "Operating Instructions" document which doesn't include the power specifications. I clipped a page from the "Installation Instructions" document which I had previously downloaded from Dometic's website

(I was looking for exactly the info you are seeking)
Well, we got it now, thanks again. It's about what I thought it would be. The manual says to use 18awg wire. I'll pass along what I see when I check the extend and withdraw amp draw with the Victron.