Looking for Satellite TV User - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2020, 10:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
Looking for Satellite TV User

I've searched the threads and can't find anyone who is using (or has used) a satellite TV system in their Escape (or other RV). I'm specifically looking at the Dish-For-My-RV Tailgater antenna (mounted on tripod) and Wally system. I have read pages of reviews on the King antenna, which are positive and negative. I'd like to hear from folks who have first hand experience before I decide to buy the Dish (or any other) system.

Additionally, is there a satellite TV and WiFi antenna combined system? I have read the threads on a separate WiFi antenna/system.

Not that it really matters, I'll be using the system in my Escape 21C.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 04:23 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlakeman View Post
I've searched the threads and can't find anyone who is using (or has used) a satellite TV system in their Escape (or other RV). I'm specifically looking at the Dish-For-My-RV Tailgater antenna (mounted on tripod) and Wally system. I have read pages of reviews on the King antenna, which are positive and negative. I'd like to hear from folks who have first hand experience before I decide to buy the Dish (or any other) system.

Additionally, is there a satellite TV and WiFi antenna combined system? I have read the threads on a separate WiFi antenna/system.

Not that it really matters, I'll be using the system in my Escape 21C.
You found her. Well, maybe him. I am not a huge TV watcher but my wife likes to watch the TV news and other programming in the evening before bed. Sometimes, she turns it on for background noise if she is doing something inside. She is, however, technologically challenged so it is up to me to set things up. I have the Dish Playmaker/Wally combination and I do not know about the Tailgater. Keep in mind that satellite on the road is not like satellite at home. At home the antenna is permanently installed. In the Escape, I would say an average of 50% of campsites do not have clear access to the satellites because of trees. At those times, if we are not out in the boonies, she uses the Jack antenna for broadcast TV. And if that doesn’t work, we have a small DVD/Blueray player so she can get her fix.

If you wish to discuss satellite my experiences in detail, PM me a phone number and a good time to call and I will try to answer any questions you have. - Carl
Old 10-07-2020, 12:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Like C&G, my wife likes tv at night and usually in the morning at breakfast. We have the Dish Network with a Wally receiver. We use the Winegard Pathway X-2. Dish has two satellites one in the East and one in the West. The Winegard Pathway has the capability of receiving the signal from either satellite, so we have two shots at the satellite. Most of the time, we can connect, but not always. Also, we added the programing option to receive the local channels to get local news and weather. Some times the local news are on the East satellite and some times on the West. To me, its seems random? The Winegard Pathway X2 is larger and more expensive than the Tailgater, so that's a consideration as well. Overall, we really like the Dish Network and have found that they have good customer service.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:11 PM   #4

Thanks Tom. Looks like the Winegard X2 you have is set up for more than one TV, but possibly better reception. C&G in FL and I just had a long telephone conversation. The Tailgater 4 is for one TV (which is all I'll have), however it's smaller, cheaper and lighter than the X2. I'm not focused on cost though. Best reception is my #1 priority. I'll see if others respond with what they have.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
You are correct, the Winegard X2 does support two tvs, but we have only used it with one. I don't know if you boondock regularly, but the Dish Wally receiver is 110ac. I have used it with a small inverter and it work fine on DC.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:18 PM   #6

Good to know regarding the inverter. I'm leaning toward the X2. I don't get my 21C until December. Hasn't started production yet. I'm planning ahead now to be ready to hit the road in December.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:41 PM   #7

I received my Winegard X2 and Wally receiver yesterday. I set it up in my backyard. The picture on the TV was great. I followed the on-screen instructions and instructions in the user's manual.

Thanks to C&G in FL and ATHiker I have received some great suggestions on how to make the system work better. I can't wait to try it on my first trip, which will probably be to Death Valley in January.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We had a satellite antenna installed directly on the roof of our 19' which was a mistake. It's fine in that you don't have to set it up; however, most camping is done under or around trees and, not being removable, there were many times we had no reception. With our 21' we purchased the Tailgater and have Dish ForMyRV. The antenna works like a champ and with Dish, we just put the service on 'pause' when we're not camping and reactivate when we take off again. (Be sure to get your trailer TV-ready. We didn't and had to have the connection installed after-the-fact.)

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:30 AM   #9

Thanks Jan. Added DishforMyRV to my dish account for $7 a month. Perfect. I thought about trees, buildings, etc. blocking the signal so I got the portable tripod so I can move the X2 around the campsite. I don't think with 2 solar panels and AC unit on roof there'd be any room to mount the X2. It's bigger than the Tailgater. Besides, drilling more holes in the fiberglass body is not something that excites me. My 21C is coming with the TV/Cable Ready option.