Basic rv for beginners,,,, - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #21

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You can see the blind spot with a convex mirror. On my old GMC I used the small ones you stick on the corner of the existing mirrors. The new truck has a rectangular convex one under the normal mirrors.

Also have an old set of the strap on McKesh mirrors, came with additional small round convex for that purpose.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:26 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The rear-view cameras that come factory only work when the vehicle is in reverse. They do that for a reason.
Watching the guy behind you tailgate is only going raise your anxiety level and your blood pressure and maybe cause you to do something unsafe.
Hi mine is the wireless Voyager . It is not a factory install .Mine works as long as I have camera plugged in . Forward or backwards . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:32 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
You can see the blind spot with a convex mirror. On my old GMC I used the small ones you stick on the corner of the existing mirrors. The new truck has a rectangular convex one under the normal mirrors.

Also have an old set of the strap on McKesh mirrors, came with additional small round convex for that purpose.
My truck is f250 . Do not even need any extensions on mirrors . I did however add convex mirrors to bottom of arms on my mirrors . Truck 6 ft wide , trailer 7 ft wide . I can see pretty good . Backup camera new, good deal from my brother for 350 . Had Escape install for me . I really like to see what is going on behind my trailer too . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
The only reason I would get a camera back there is for backing up seeing cars behind me won't help me I can't stop them from plowing into me if that's their bent. I am thinking about getting the tow mirrors I've never used them. will I be able to see in my blind spot ? I always get a little spooked when changing lanes quickly. They seem so expensive 130ish but probably worth it.
Unless you have a real wide tow vehicle, towing mirrors are a must, and in many case a requirement. In most states and provinces you must see for 200' to the rear. Mostly it is just common sense to be able to see behind the road behind the trailer as good as possible.

Ford Super Duty trucks (F-250 and F-350) have mirrors that extend electrically, and I can sure see the road behind the trailer great with them. I really like the ones like this that Alf added to his Nissan.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Ford Super Duty trucks (F-250 and F-350) have mirrors that extend electrically...
The standard equipment is manually telescoping - electric is an option on an XL and presumably included in higher trim levels - but telescoping is standard.

I find it really annoying that vehicles with lower towing capacity - but still capable tugs for their trailer weight range - don't even have telescoping mirrors available. Buying an extra ton or two of truck to get more suitable mirrors would be ridiculous.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:12 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
These are best towing mirrors I have found in 30+ years, easy on/off for my Tacoma.

http://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-29...r+mirror+grand

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:30 AM   #27

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
My super duty f250 does not have telescoping mirrors
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:39 AM   #28

Quote:
They could be a new feature, or vary by country - I only checked the current specs on the Ford Canada website.

Fortunately, they are at least available... for many vehicles we are not so lucky.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:46 AM   #29

Yes I think I will buy the towing mirrors they should fit on either my F250 or my Highlander.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:21 AM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
I've had three super duty trucks, the very first year of that new platform 1999, a 2009 and 2013. All three were XL's and all three had manual extendable tow mirrors.Pehaps they are an option that most dealerships order.
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:23 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
What year is it? I just assumed they all had them, as I have not seen one myself without them, at least since they started using the Super Duty label on their bigger pickups. They were manual on my 2002 F-250 Lariat, buy are electric on my 2012 F-350 XL.

Maybe try pulling them out and be surprised? (just hopeful thinking maybe)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:22 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickheadhunter View Post
I've had three super duty trucks, the very first year of that new platform 1999, a 2009 and 2013. All three were XL's and all three had manual extendable tow mirrors.Pehaps they are an option that most dealerships order.
That would make sense, but the current online build tool says that if you pick power extendable mirrors on the first level trim (XL), you are deleting manual extendable mirrors - no chance of being not extendable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Maybe try pulling them out and be surprised? (just hopeful thinking maybe)
It certainly wouldn't be the first time an owner was unaware of a feature of the vehicle!
Old 07-05-2015, 01:33 PM   #33

It's a 2003 short bed super duty F250 and really the mirrors don't extend would have been a nice feature I but I bought it used. I use it to pull a two horse aluminum goose neck horse trailer. Works very well. But I think extended mirrors would be nice.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
It's a 2003 short bed super duty F250 and really the mirrors don't extend would have been a nice feature I but I bought it used. I use it to pull a two horse aluminum goose neck horse trailer. Works very well. But I think extended mirrors would be nice.
Hi: Fox hunt... Look here and see if they have them for your specific truck. Search under trailer tow mirrors. Alf1A Auto : Aftermarket Auto Parts, Car Body Parts, Replacement & New Automobile and Truck Parts | Buy Discount Car & Auto Parts Online
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #35

Quote:
It's a 2003 short bed super duty F250 and really the mirrors don't extend would have been a nice feature I but I bought it used.
I checked the manual, and indeed the telescoping feature is noted as optional, with two entirely different shapes of mirror shown. So I checked four online suppliers of OEM-style replacement mirrors, and they all show three styles... only one of them telescoping.
2003 Ford F-250 Mirrors at CARiD.com
http://www.summitracing.com/int/sear...cending&page=2
Fit System Replacement Mirrors, K Source Side View Mirror
Amazon.com: Exterior Mirrors - Body: Automotive: Left, Right, Automotive Outside Mirrors & More

It is not unusual for two quite different styles of mirror to be available for the same vehicle, and usually they mount to the door in the same way (for ease of design and manufacturing), so they can be interchanged. In this case, it looks like one of the non-telescoping designs has the same mounting base shape as the telescoping design, so it may be possible to upgrade and gain the ability to extend the mirrors. Since the switches and wiring would not likely be in place to operate powered features which the truck didn't have when it left the factory (marker lights, turn signals, heated glass, power extend), but the extension is manual (no power extend in 2003 for this model).

It may seem silly to remove perfectly good factory-installed mirrors, but OEM-style replacement mirrors are reasonably priced, and the originals could always be reinstalled later if desired.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
... Look here and see if they have them for your specific truck. Search under trailer tow mirrors. Alf1A Auto : Aftermarket Auto Parts, Car Body Parts, Replacement & New Automobile and Truck Parts | Buy Discount Car & Auto Parts Online
If you just look for mirror pairs you get two styles - the extendable ones and the ones that are likely on the truck now.
Search Results for mirror pair - 1A Auto
Old 05-04-2017, 12:17 PM   #37

Trailer: wannabe
Just brought home a 2017 Escape 5.0 and I'm having trouble getting my rv Atwood furnace started, our stove burners come on, turn on thermostat than turn up temperature and wait for self ignition, and nothing happens

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
bigalaska2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:38 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalaska2012 View Post
Just brought home a 2017 Escape 5.0 and I'm having trouble getting my rv Atwood furnace started, our stove burners come on, turn on thermostat than turn up temperature and wait for self ignition, and nothing happens

Just to clarify for someone else to help you, you have the AC plus digital thermostat?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:53 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalaska2012 View Post

Hi: bigalaska2012... Hope you feel the heat soon!!! In the mean time you could upgrade your status from wannabe, cause even with out the furnace blowing UR an owner now. Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #40

Trailer: 17
They turned mine on during orientation, did they do yours? Maybe Hit mode until you see fan, then make it say auto. Now go to mode, make it show the heat icon and turn up the temp.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote