Boondocking with Starlink - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2024, 09:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 TA
Boondocking with Starlink

How does one power Starlink when boondocking? We have a solar panel but of course Starlink needs 110.
TM2TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 10:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Not sure how the camping version of Starlink works... But I suspect way better than your expectations of how it works... I'm Captain of an ocean going tugboat... We have the marine version of SL and never lost signal all the way from Leith, Scotland to Tampa,Fl... With crew streaming on their phones and watching movies.... Game changer for us
Old 03-08-2024, 11:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
You need an inverter and plenty of battery capacity for your inverter, or be plugged in to 120V AC. I don’t remember the current draw of SL for determining inverter and battery, but also sometimes the SL heater runs which increases the draw. There are SL users here who have mentioned putting it to sleep at night to conserve power. My SL only stays at home.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:34 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21c
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM2TC View Post
How does one power Starlink when boondocking? We have a solar panel but of course Starlink needs 110.
One panel in a sunny spot with an inverter is working for me.
Whi10y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 11:28 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Assuming you have plenty of battery (200ahr+) supplemented by solar/generator and an inverter OR plugged into shore power, you will need to plug the modem into an energized 110v outlet.

We plug our modem into our inverter which is located in the storage bay under the dinette on the passenger side. We leave the modem in there and have no issues with signal strength. As mentioned in other posts, sometimes the dish's heater will kick on but usually it is when it initializes and searches for satellites that it draws a lot power. Putting it in sleep mode does conserve power, but when it wakes up, it will search for satellites again and suck power.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 08:34 AM   #6

Trailer: N/A
Sorry for somewhat veering off-topic, but does anyone have experience setting up Starlink for a 5.0? I am wondering how to attach to my 5.0 a flag pole (at the top of which Dishy would sit). Anyone has dealt with that?
claude6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 09:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude6543 View Post
Sorry for somewhat veering off-topic, but does anyone have experience setting up Starlink for a 5.0? I am wondering how to attach to my 5.0 a flag pole (at the top of which Dishy would sit). Anyone has dealt with that?
There is a company called flagpole buddy (https://flagpolebuddy.com/products/o...ories/Starlink). They sell everything you would need. I purchased from them only the very top piece that connects the dishy to the flagpole. I bought a flagpole holder that fits into a receiver hitch from Amazon and a flagpole from Menards. The whole assembly can go into the receiver on the back of my 5.0, or in my truck’s receiver, depending on which one has the clearer view. Also, it turns out that three flagpole sections will fit perfectly inside a spare sewer hose pipe for storage.
RF Paul is offline   Reply With Quote