Combustion/propane smell - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2022, 08:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19b
Combustion/propane smell

We have been out for about ten days in Utah camping. In the last few days I started to smell a combustion/minor propane smell when the hot water heater was on (we only turn it in when we need it). It seems to be getting worse over the last few days. Last night the CO sensor went off as well. We are camping at about 7,000 feet.

I don’t think this is a propane leak, my nose is very sensitive to that smell. I have tried opening the outer door but it made no difference.

Any suggestions?

Julie
2021 Escape 19
JulietF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 08:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 21
Which direction has the wind been blowing. Is it hitting the side the water heater is on. I’ve had this happen a couple of times when the wind is strong and is hitting the water heater side. Also have you tried blowing out, cleaning the detector
Old 03-22-2022, 08:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
Which direction has the wind been blowing. Is it hitting the side the water heater is on. I’ve had this happen a couple of times when the wind is strong and is hitting the water heater side. Also have you tried blowing out, cleaning the detector
The wind has been blowing very yard the last few days, not directly in the water heater area, but definately swirling around the area. I suspect you are right, between the wind and elevation it needs cleaning. This will be a first but I am assuming fairly straight forward.

Thank you Rockhead
JulietF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 07:39 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
At elevation propane devices can have issues. My refrigerator alarms at 9,000 feet. It is very inconsistent; same model next door will work fine. Known issues with furnaces as well. There is a body of knowledge out there if you dig deep. No silver bullet as most center around adjusting the propane regulator using a manometer.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 09:38 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
You might check the seal around the fiberglass/water heater intersection. Mine had enough gaps that under windy conditions, running the water heater on propane would set off my CO detector. I used electrician's duct seal to fill in the entire way around the water heater "metal box" & have not had problems since.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:36 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
You might check the seal around the fiberglass/water heater intersection. Mine had enough gaps that under windy conditions, running the water heater on propane would set off my CO detector. I used electrician's duct seal to fill in the entire way around the water heater "metal box" & have not had problems since.
We had the same problem (combustion smell in trailer and CO alarm) last Fall in eastern Nevada. The problem and the solution, I think, is as John V. has described. Haven't done the fix yet- waiting for warmer weather!
Chama
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote