Dexter Axle 2021 17b moved forward - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2023, 07:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 escape 17B
Dexter Axle 2021 17b moved forward

As stated in the title, 2021 17b no lift, standard tires, level, not overloaded, correct hitch height. My axle moved forward on the passengers side and rubbed the fiberglass well. It was always close less than 1/2 inch from front of the wheel well, no bumps, mishaps nada, bought new 1 yr. ago. Returning from a trip I went in to use the facility during a fuel up and smelt burnt rubber. The entire width of the tire is rubbing against the forward bottom quarter of the wheel well. No tire damage, a little polished on the center, heat wise not much different than the other side but it did rub. Figure the tire is shot, but!!! Dropped some air from tire that left enough gap to limp home, too tired now but will be underneath tomorrow. Anyone ever hear of anything like this? Drivers side still has about 1/2 inch clearance
mr.stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 09:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I don't recall anyone else having this problem although there have been some mis-alignment issues that may have been caused by this type of situation.

The axle is held in place with two bolts on each side. The holes are slotted and allow for the alignment to be fine tuned. You can see one of them circled in red in my photo. When I installed my new axle they allowed me to position the axle correctly.

I can't remember the torque specified but it was considerable. It seems like the bolts must have loosened and allowed the axle to move.

If that's the case it's an easy fix.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
20-09-2021 12-37-59 PM_0002Bolt_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 10:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I think I have read that some have found 1 or more axle bolts not tight.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 10:36 PM   #4
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
What is the clearance to the back of the wheel well?

For the torque specification, see:
http://www.dexterpartsonline.com/fil...ation_4-07.pdf

FWIW, when I replaced the front axle on our E19 (bent axle problem) after 3 years, I checked the torque on the rear axle mounting bolts; they were only about 80 ft-lbs. I clearly re-torqued them.

edit - read the installation instructions for the axle. It may be obvious, but stating anyway, when you position the axle make sure the axle is perpendicular to the trailer centerline (figure 3 in the link instructions). Distance to the axle on each side of the trailer to the ball hitch needs to be equal so that trailer pulls straight.
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 03:10 PM   #5

With the frame lifted from the ground, no weight on axle.
Passenger side front 5/8 inch from well, rear 1 1/2 inches
drivers side 3/4 inch in front 1 1/4 inch in back.

with all wheels on the ground trailer basically empty 1/3 tank fresh water
Passenger side 1/8 inch front 1 1/2 to back tire was partially deflated to get home
drivers side short 3/8 to front 1 1/4 to back

A hole approximately the size of a softball was burned through the front passengers side from the bottom of the wheel well up. the drivers side is a little scorched. Sometimes just lucky.

Pulled an axle mounting bolt the hole was not elongated, bolt was tight, so much for an easy fix. Could a 3500 # dexter be weak? Going to have to wait for Monday but most any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks Stan

Traveling with normal load no black, grey, 1/3 fresh. no more than 300 lbs in camper. todays measurements were empty except for fresh water
Old 05-06-2023, 04:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 E19
Might be the tire and not the axle?
Stock / original tires?

Belt separation / failure causing the tire to "grow"? Measure / compare "height" of both tires...

To rule out tire related, measure from the middle of the centercap / axle to the fiberglass on both sides of the tire and maybe someone with a 17 will do the same for comparison.

Wonder if broken axle shock cords would do this........?
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 05:32 PM   #7
MVA

Has the axle always since delivery been forward or is this a recent occurrence?

Pictures would be useful.

Reviewing your numbers it seems that with and without weight on the axle the distance to the back is the same (?).
Old 05-06-2023, 06:24 PM   #8

Pretty much +/- a little and yes has been forward
Old 05-06-2023, 06:34 PM   #9
MVA

if this was as delivered from the factory, I would contact ETI given it is a 2022 unit. The axle mounting plates that are welded to the frame seem from your measurements to be too far forward for the wheel to be concentric in the wheel well.
Old 05-06-2023, 06:51 PM   #10

concur
Old 05-06-2023, 08:00 PM   #11
MVA

One final thought...

Is the axle on your E17 mounted so that the wheels are trailing infront or behind the axle? The wheels should be behind the axle.

As an aside when I replaced an axle, after removing the axle, I placed the new axle under the trailer and noted that the brake drum was too far forward (as in your case). Confused on how that this could be, I had placed the axle backward so that the torsion bar was oriented forward (and not backward) and the wheel was now forward of the axle mount. Noting that this was different than the other axle on our E19, I flipped the axle around and it fit fine.
Old 05-07-2023, 09:52 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Just I wild wild thought…did the remember to put the bolts in that holds the shell to the frame?

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 11:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.stang View Post

Pulled an axle mounting bolt the hole was not elongated, bolt was tight, so much for an easy fix. Could a 3500 # dexter be weak? Going to have to wait for Monday but most any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks Stan
This is a bolted assembly with the possibility of differential movement. The bolts could appear tight but still be loose enough to allow movement if enough force was applied.

I'd completely loosen both bolts and see if the axle can be moved rearward. If not then the problem may be a bent spindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Just I wild wild thought…did the remember to put the bolts in that holds the shell to the frame?
That is a wild thought.

Ron
Old 05-07-2023, 11:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA View Post

As an aside when I replaced an axle, after removing the axle, I placed the new axle under the trailer and noted that the brake drum was too far forward (as in your case). Confused on how that this could be, I had placed the axle backward so that the torsion bar was oriented forward (and not backward) and the wheel was now forward of the axle mount. Noting that this was different than the other axle on our E19, I flipped the axle around and it fit fine.
I don't see how this is possible. The spindle is offset from the axle about 6". Flipping is around would result in a wheel change position of about 12".

What am I missing?

Ron
Old 05-07-2023, 12:23 PM   #15
MVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I don't see how this is possible. The spindle is offset from the axle about 6". Flipping is around would result in a wheel change position of about 12".

What am I missing?

Ron
Agreed, but the torsion arm is at an angle down, so the length is not as long. It is more likely that the axle mounts are not in the correct position. Perhaps someone with a 17B can post the position of the mounts for the OP.
Old 05-07-2023, 12:40 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
... I'd completely loosen both bolts and see if the axle can be moved rearward. If not then the problem may be a bent spindle......
It's implicit but let's make it explicit just so folks don't inadvertently compound a problem ....

One should probably not loosen axle mounting bolts or attempt to move the axle unless and until they have an understanding of the procedure and the wherewithal to properly verify the axle alignment when re-tightening the bolts (refer to the applicable Dexter installation instructions).

Just for consideration.
Old 05-07-2023, 05:35 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We had a extensive equipment to keep our trucks and trailers maintained and some good mechanics but used a local frame and axle company when it came to alignments and modifications . This guys do it every day all day and I thought it was prudent to get the best help I could get . Good advice on hiring a pro.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-07-2023, 06:52 PM   #18
MVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
It's implicit but let's make it explicit just so folks don't inadvertently compound a problem ....

One should probably not loosen axle mounting bolts or attempt to move the axle unless and until they have an understanding of the procedure and the wherewithal to properly verify the axle alignment when re-tightening the bolts (refer to the applicable Dexter installation instructions).

Just for consideration.
Agreed on hazzards.

OP should call ETI - this is potentially a warranty issue given it is a 2022 unit.
Old 05-07-2023, 07:05 PM   #19

I shut down, e-mailed escape and called to advise of the e-mail. Should be a warranty issue.
Old 05-07-2023, 07:14 PM   #20

Absolutely a warranty issue, but whose remains to be seen. If an inspection shows that the axle is damaged it'll likely be the Dexter warranty. No worries they're great to deal with.

In a "get home" situation I'd still slacken the bolts and see if the wheel could be shifted away from making holes in the f.g.

It'll be interesting to learn what the cause is, I'm leaning to a bent spindle.

Ron