Dexter Axle Thread and Spindle Nut Issue - 17B - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2020, 10:20 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Dexter Axle Thread and Spindle Nut Issue - 17B

Hi all,
I wanted to pass on some information on an experience I just had while repacking my wheel bearings for the first time on my 17B. I bought my trailer new in 2017 and after three years thought it prudent to check things.

Yesterday I pulled the brake drums off the trailer to service the wheel bearings and check the brakes for the first time since I purchased the trailer new. Passenger side was no problem. Drivers side took me about half an hour to get the spindle nut off the axle. When I finally got the nut off it was ruined and the axle threads were bad enough I couldn't get a nut back on. Turns out the axle threads were poorly done from the factory. Debris from the cutting of the axle threads wasn't cleared and when the spindle nut was put on it ran the debris into the axle threads. This happened at the Dexter factory I imagine. Not at Escape. Probably one in a million I hope.

Lucky for me I have the Escape Trailer Forum to turn to. And thanks for the sticky on the Dexter Axle Maintenance. I read that, went to the Dexter website and found the resources, then parts and then the Retainer Kit K71-622-00. I called a local company that services Dexter axles and they had the spindle nuts part number 006-191-00. Bought two of them for a little over $6. Asked the service guy what the threads were on the 600-8,000lb axles. He said 1 inch x 14 thread count. So, off I went to a machine shop supply store and I bought a CS Rethreading Hexagon Die RH Thread size: 1-14. Back home I cleaned the axle spindle and gently threaded the die on then recut the axle threads, repacked the wheel bearings and installed everything with a new spindle nut. If I hadn't been able to recut the axle threads I'd have been looking at a new axle.

Lesson learned here....check your trailer shortly after you first buy it. If I had done that it would have been a warranty issue. Three years later it's my issue. And I was extremely lucky in that the spindle nut was cranked on the bearing probably three turns too many. I'm surprised the bearing didn't burn up. Plus I was able to find the spindle nuts, rethreading die and get it all back together in a few hours. Otherwise this might have turned into a real big problem.

I want to thank all of you for the contributions you've made on this forum. It's made a world of difference for me in maintaining my trailer.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:31 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
On the anal side... I had my trailer delivered. Before it's maiden voyage I had a mechanic grease the bearings. Just wanted to be sure they were done right before heading out on our 1st cross country trip.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:23 PM   #3

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
As soon as we got home after the maiden voyage from Chilliwack I had Kullot Trailer in Rochester take apart and repack the hubs. Turned out the seal that keeps the grease away from the brakes was installed incorrectly.

Turns out we had to replace the front axle at 7,000 miles and the rear at about 12,000 miles. Both were made on Hangover Monday. After much arguing Dexter paid for both axles, labor, and two tires. Since we didn't want to repair the second axle on the road we ruined four of our five tires. We now have the recommended Goodyear Endurance (?) tires on all four wheels and one of the China bombs for a spare.

Inspect your wheels ASAP!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-06-2020, 06:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I have not had any problem like you had but I have done spindle clean up a few times . In all of this I think power tools, air wrenches and the like are the enemy. There’s no feel and too much force at the operators fingertips. After finding poor brake connections on our 19 I made sure the 21 was solid as soon as I got it home. Never hurts To look and be sure.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-06-2020, 07:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
............In all of this I think power tools, air wrenches and the like are the enemy. ...................
Iowa Dave

Right on! This deserved a repeat!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote