Dometic Air Conditioner Thermostat - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2021, 11:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 21C
Dometic Air Conditioner Thermostat

We have the digital thermostat in our 2020 21C and have found that the temperature seems to be way off. This summer, to have the air conditioner (Dometic 11,000 BTU) kick in at a comfortable temperature, we would have to set it to around 28C (82F). We have a portable thermometer in the trailer which tended to show the ambient temperature as around 5-7C lower. (i.e. the trailer temperature would read as 22C (72F) on our portable thermometer, but the wall thermostat would be much higher.)
In the winter, we used the heatstrip on the A/C which is also controlled by that digital thermostat. Again, our portable thermostat would show it as being much colder in the trailer than the wall thermostat. We tried moving the portable one around to try to figure out why there was such a discrepancy. It seems wrong to be having to set the wall thermostat to such 'unusual' temperatures to have it work - i.e. 28C (82F) for A/C and 24C (75F) for heat.
Anyone experience this problem? Can you tell me where the actual temperature sensor for the A/C unit is? (Is it within that digital wall thermostat?)

Thanks!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:01 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Why not use the standard furnace for your heat vs the heat strip, a lot more efficient vs trying to heat your trailer by blowing air across a hot toaster....
Old 08-28-2021, 10:32 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
My 2014 21C has the same issue. I just got used to it since it functions fine.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 04:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Well, an expensive solution is to switch to MicroAir Easy Touch thermostat. Much better touch surfaces, and both bluetooth & WiFi, and while I don't have a heat strip, it is within 2°F of the thermostat I have on my wall. Be sure to use the check list to pick out the correct model - they have several.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
why use the heat strip instead of the propane furnace? my 2004 Casita had the electric heat strip, I wanted to get it on my new 2018 Escape 21, but was told not available. now I find out probably could have got it, but too late, oh well? my experience: when have shore power, the heat strip worked well, if was too cold for heat strip to heat trailer, I needed to relocate to warmer climes lols. if no shore power, then use the propane furnace and burn expensive propane, if you have to. ymmv cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 12:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Our heat strip has been great down to at least 15F.

Tags
a/c, dometic air conditioner, thermostat