Dometic fridge won’t stay lit - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2023, 03:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Dometic fridge won’t stay lit

I have a 2021 21NE with a 3 way fridge. The fridge has been intermittent while running on propane. It would run fine for hours and then shut off and beep with the check light on. Initially I thought I was out of propane but that was not it. I seemed to be able to light it again, sometimes after many tries but it would eventually error out again. Now I don’t seem to be able to get it to light at all. I do hear it clicking but it never lights.

Any suggestions? I suspect I am not the first having these problems. I tried to search but wasn’t successful. Any troubleshooting forum threads anyone can point to? Thank you!
derekthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 05:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekthered View Post
I have a 2021 21NE with a 3 way fridge. The fridge has been intermittent while running on propane. It would run fine for hours and then shut off and beep with the check light on. Initially I thought I was out of propane but that was not it. I seemed to be able to light it again, sometimes after many tries but it would eventually error out again. Now I don’t seem to be able to get it to light at all. I do hear it clicking but it never lights.

Any suggestions? I suspect I am not the first having these problems. I tried to search but wasn’t successful. Any troubleshooting forum threads anyone can point to? Thank you!
Be sure you have both propane tanks on so the auto switch will function. Check the indicator on the propane regulator make sure it is not red, as it will operate at reduced flow when it has auto switched. If it is red flip the lever to the other tank and refill / replace the one it had been pointing to. Light all of your stove burners for a minute or so to ensure that any air is out of your propane lines. Hope that helps.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 07:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 E21C
You might try spraying the gas jet with a cleaner. Don't try to clean it mechanically or you risk ruining the jet. I've used quick drying electrical cleaner with success. Also, sometimes at the beginning of a trip I need to lightly tap on the gas valve with a pebble or wrench till I hear the flame burning after which it stays lit the entire trip. Not an optimum way to operate but sometimes we have to do what works. Best of luck.
John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 07:40 PM   #4

Interesting, I have always kept one tank closed thinking I would flip it when the primary tank is empty. But you are saying that is not how they are designed. I will give that a try. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2023, 07:41 PM   #5

Thanks John I will give it a try.
Old 08-25-2023, 07:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Also, yes always keep the second tank open so that it can automatically be switched into providing gas when the first tank goes empty. To know when the original tank goes empty you'll need to keep an eye on the red/green indicator at the regulator. When the indicator turn red, the bottle at which the indicator switch is pointed is empty.
John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 08:43 AM   #7
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekthered View Post

I had the same exact problem with my 2022, E17 with 4 cu frig. So, slightly different model but problem sounds the same. Through much head scratching and checking everything else that others have described previously with no resolution, I bought the tools and a meter to check the gas pressure. Should be about 11" of water column (WC), My regulator was putting out 14" WC. Adjusted it to 12" and it has run perfectly on propane since the adjustment.
So, you might want to get the propane regulator checked. Even brand new as mine was, they can be off.
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 03:19 PM   #8

Resolved

We were out in the middle of nowhere when I was having this problem and I forgot to close it off.

It ended up with the problem was that the gap wasn’t quite big enough for the igniter so the spark was weak, sometimes it would work but it was inconsistent. I bent it out an extra millimetre for a bigger arc and now the fridge works perfectly

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Derek